Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:26:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [XPM] Noobproof VPS Primecoin All-In-One EZ Setup Script (Updated)  (Read 17646 times)
lamiomni

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 05:43:55 PM
Last edit: August 02, 2013, 02:23:00 PM by lamiomni

Which settings are you using for a 1-CPU droplet @DigitalOcean?

Basic settings, on extra large instance (sieve size 1M, sieve percentage 10, round sieve size 30): 4.5k PPS, 550 5-chains/h

Current best tweaked settings (so far), on extra large instance (sieve size 250k, sieve percentage 3, round sieve size 45): 5.7k PPS, 840 5-chains/h

Looking for best 5-chains/h

Lower sieve sizes are better, on extra large instance (sieve percentage 10, round sieve size 30):
- 100k: 6.6k PPS, 660 5-chains/h
- 250k: 5.6k PPS, 650 5-chains/h
- 500k: 4.9k PPS, 650 5-chains/h
- 900k: 4.6k PPS, 600 5-chains/h
- 1.1M: 4.4k PPS, 540 5-chains/h

Lower sieve percentages are better, on extra large instance (sieve size 1M, round sieve size 30):
- 1: 7.1k PPS, 640 5-chains/h
- 2: 6.5k PPS, 600 5-chains/h
- 3: 5.6k PPS, 800 5-chains/h
- 4: 5.2k PPS, 670 5-chains/h
- 5: 5.1k PPS, 610 5-chains/h
- 15: 3.7k PPS, 510 5-chains/h

Higher round sieve sizes are better, on extra large instance (sieve size 1M, sieve percentage 10):
- 20: 4.1k PPS, 440 5-chains/h
- 25: 4.5k PPS, 550 5-chains/h
- 35: 4.4k PPS, 660 5-chains/h
- 40: 4.2k PPS, 730 5-chains/h
- 42: 4.1k PPS, 740 5-chains/h
- 45: 4.0k PPS, 735 5-chains/h
- 50: 3.8k PPS, 500 5-chains/h

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Pentel

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 06:12:36 PM
Last edit: August 02, 2013, 07:08:32 PM by Pentel

I still get error's but I think it's working:
Pic Here.

It my be working but ./myinfo does not work.  
Error:
error: incorrect rpcuser or rpcpassword (authorization failed)

I wiped everything and started again, but with errors again.
See Pic
 God damn wrong OS!!!  

It works now.  Thanks  Roll Eyes

cross/\'kros/ n: a thing they nail people to. Vircurex - Exchnage
PGP Key
BM-NC5DsQck3UyTHFv3fKCMBprw7BNVHUwH
gigawatt (OP)

Activity: 168

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 08:55:35 PM

Another round of updates!

Pic Here.
error: incorrect rpcuser or rpcpassword (authorization failed)

Usually that error is from editing your primecoin.conf file before stopping primecoin.
I've tweaked the ~/stop-primecoind script so it force kills it if it doesn't shutdown gracefully on it's own.

BTC: 1E2egHUcLDAmcxcqZqpL18TPLx9Xj1akcV   Ψ: AWHJbwoM67Ez12SHH4pH5DnJKPoMSdvLz2   Primecoin All-In-One VPS Setup Script   Quarkcoin All-In-One VPS Setup Script   Metiscoin VPS Pool Mining Script
gigawatt (OP)

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 03:41:11 AM

Wow, I just shot myself in the foot today.

I set up a new node to test out a ./notify-block script.
I had it enabled right from the beginning, but about 20 minutes in things were going really really slow.

Turns out that when primecoin was downloading the blockchain, it triggered the notification script about 90,000 times.  Oops.

BTC: 1E2egHUcLDAmcxcqZqpL18TPLx9Xj1akcV   Ψ: AWHJbwoM67Ez12SHH4pH5DnJKPoMSdvLz2   Primecoin All-In-One VPS Setup Script   Quarkcoin All-In-One VPS Setup Script   Metiscoin VPS Pool Mining Script
Dumbo

Activity: 114
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 12:06:53 PM
Last edit: August 08, 2013, 02:43:25 PM by Dumbo

Please do not rip me apart, I am one of those complete noobs this guide was written for. I have started mining on a DigitalOcean Droplet. The primepersec is 528 (just in case anyone is wondering)

I have a few questions -

1. Using your tutorial on merging the primecoin accounts. I can open 3 other droplets, follow the same instruction to setup Primecoind and merge the - right?

2. The ypool droplet - do I have to keep the putty open? I saw someone complaining that they cannot mine as soon as they close the putty.

3. Amazon EC2 instances are the same thing as Digital Ocean Droplets right? will this work there too? I found this one some forum.. http://aws.amazon.com/big-data/powerof60/terms/  and was planning to use it.

4. If I signup for Linode , I would like to have a gigawatt's referral address. Since you took the time for us noobs, you deserve it.

Edit: I just noticed that his links are already referral links and that is totally fine by me. You deserve it sir!

Edit2: the command ./myinfo doesn't seem to work.
gigawatt (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 03:04:57 PM
Last edit: August 08, 2013, 04:03:39 PM by gigawatt

Please do not rip me apart, I am one of those complete noobs this guide was written for. I have started mining on a DigitalOcean Droplet. The primepersec is 528 (just in case anyone is wondering)

I have a few questions -

1. Using your tutorial on merging the primecoin accounts. I can open 3 other droplets, follow the same instruction to setup Primecoind and merge the - right?

2. The ypool droplet - do I have to keep the putty open? I saw someone complaining that they cannot mine as soon as they close the putty.

3. Amazon EC2 instances are the same thing as Digital Ocean Droplets right? will this work there too? I found this one some forum.. http://aws.amazon.com/big-data/powerof60/terms/  and was planning to use it.

4. If I signup for Linode , I would like to have a gigawatt's referral address. Since you took the time for us noobs, you deserve it.

Edit: I just noticed that his links are already referral links and that is totally fine by me. You deserve it sir!

Edit2: the command ./myinfo doesn't seem to work.

Thanks for enjoying the guide!  I'll do what I can to help:

• Yes, that's correct.  I would recommend a different approach though.  1) Make one node, get it running and updated.  2) Shutdown the node and take a snapshot of the node.  3) Create a new node based on the snapshot.  That way all the cloned nodes will have the same wallet files and should stay in sync up to ~100 mined blocks.
  • For the ypool one: no, you shouldn't have to.  I have the script setup to run in the background, but the catch is that you can't "see" it work.  You can only verify that it is doing work, not necessarily what it's accomplished so far.  If you have doubts, run the start command in one session, connect with another PuTTY session, then check ps aux | grep miner.
  • Yes/no.  They're similar, but as others have noted, Amazon EC2 instances require using sudo commands in certain places.  If I recall correctly, it should be for each apt-get call.  (So change apt-get install blahblah to sudo apt-get install blahblah)
  • I personally prefer Linode as well.  $20 gets you an 8-core system vs $5 for a 1-core.  The only drawback I've noted is that Linode doesn't let you "clone" nodes very easily, so you'll have to run the setup for each node.
  • As for ./myinfo: it only dumps the addresses that have a transaction associated with them.  Transactions also include minting a block.

If you start having a handful of nodes to manage, I would recommend downloading multi-tabbed PuTTY.  It'll let you opened tabbed session for each VPS and send commands to all of them at once.

Dumbo

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 03:27:05 PM

So..I have to wait a bit before I can merge the accounts and get private keys from  ./myinfo. Till a block is minted..right?

I just got got into bitcoins and cryptocurrencies, this is the first time I am mining (any cryptocurrency).
gigawatt (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 03:50:37 PM

So..I have to wait a bit before I can merge the accounts and get private keys from  ./myinfo. Till a block is minted..right?

I just got got into bitcoins and cryptocurrencies, this is the first time I am mining (any cryptocurrency).

Correct.

Alternately, you can make a master wallet file on your computer, then copy it to each of the nodes.  That way, you and all your nodes have the same wallets and you don't have to go fish addresses out of the nodes.  If you go this route, be sure to stop primecoin, copy the wallet, then restart primecoin.

You can use WinSCP to transfer files to/from your nodes.  Your login info will be the same as your PuTTY info.

Dumbo

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 03:55:24 PM

Thanks! I will give it a try
Dumbo

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 08:14:20 PM
Last edit: August 08, 2013, 08:53:44 PM by Dumbo

Correct.

Alternately, you can make a master wallet file on your computer, then copy it to each of the nodes.  That way, you and all your nodes have the same wallets and you don't have to go fish addresses out of the nodes.  If you go this route, be sure to stop primecoin, copy the wallet, then restart primecoin.

You can use WinSCP to transfer files to/from your nodes.  Your login info will be the same as your PuTTY info.

Before I do something extremely stupid..

This is what I am doing.

1. From the regular primecoin client on my pc , I did Files>Backup Wallet and got the wallet.dat file
2. Then I used that wallet.dat file to replace .primecoin/wallet.dat file in the VPS using the ftp client.

That is what you meant right? Sorry for too many questions

Btw...if I have just cloned a droplet 3 more times, all 4 droplets have the same wallet.dat. Can I not just grab one of those wallet.dat files to Primecoin client on my PC?
gigawatt (OP)

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 05:09:07 PM

Correct.

Alternately, you can make a master wallet file on your computer, then copy it to each of the nodes.  That way, you and all your nodes have the same wallets and you don't have to go fish addresses out of the nodes.  If you go this route, be sure to stop primecoin, copy the wallet, then restart primecoin.

You can use WinSCP to transfer files to/from your nodes.  Your login info will be the same as your PuTTY info.

Before I do something extremely stupid..

This is what I am doing.

1. From the regular primecoin client on my pc , I did Files>Backup Wallet and got the wallet.dat file
2. Then I used that wallet.dat file to replace .primecoin/wallet.dat file in the VPS using the ftp client.

That is what you meant right? Sorry for too many questions

Btw...if I have just cloned a droplet 3 more times, all 4 droplets have the same wallet.dat. Can I not just grab one of those wallet.dat files to Primecoin client on my PC?

You are correct on all counts.  As long as all the nodes (including yourself) have the same wallet.dat file, they should stay in sync up to ~100 mined blocks.

I'd also recommend that you restart the haveged service.  I noticed that it doesn't always run automatically after installation.  You can accomplish this with:
Code:
service haveged restart
You can verify it's running with
Code:
ps aux | grep -v grep | grep haveged

Qantaqa

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 10, 2013, 08:24:24 AM

I noticed the script still sets roundsievepercentage to 30 while hp9's default changed to 70, any specific reason for this, or can i just update this?
gigawatt (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 04:53:12 PM

I noticed the script still sets roundsievepercentage to 30 while hp9's default changed to 70, any specific reason for this, or can i just update this?

It's fixed now.  HP9 came out after my last update.

gigawatt (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 05:50:09 PM

Another tiny update.

The script now runs apt-get update before installing packages.  This makes it work better with RamNode.
The start and stop scripts now use [[ -n "$(pidof primecoind)" ]] to check if primecoind is running.  It should no longer kill itself on accident.

nfuse

Activity: 97

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 11:19:30 AM

Thanks man for your work, even a noob like me got it working Wink
gigawatt (OP)

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 08:16:12 PM

Good news!  I've updated the script and now it works on Amazon EC2 instances.
Furthermore, primecoin launches as soon as the server reboots, so you'll always have it running.

gigawatt (OP)

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 06:04:53 PM

Another minor update.  I've noticed that some hosting providers (DigitalOcean) occasionally result in a Kernel Panic on boot.

I've modified the script to auto-reboot in case of a kernel panic so mining can continue as usual.
Secondly, the swapfile will only build one time (it'll skip it if it detects a swapfile).

Updates are now as simple as re-running the whole script.

gigawatt (OP)

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 03:01:54 PM

More compatibility tweaks and a few stability tweaks.

fail2ban included by default to prevent brute-forcing an SSH login.

Pentel

Activity: 172

View Profile
August 24, 2013, 12:57:26 PM
Last edit: August 24, 2013, 04:48:02 PM by Pentel

I'm trying to import my private keys to my my client, but I keep getting this error
Error adding key to wallet (code -4)

I've tried putting my label within quotes but still no good.

EDIT: Found a solution here:
http://www.primecoiner.com/error-adding-key-to-wallet-code-4/

cross/\'kros/ n: a thing they nail people to. Vircurex - Exchnage
PGP Key
BM-NC5DsQck3UyTHFv3fKCMBprw7BNVHUwH
gigawatt (OP)

View Profile
August 24, 2013, 05:56:00 PM

I'm trying to import my private keys to my my client, but I keep getting this error
Error adding key to wallet (code -4)

I've tried putting my label within quotes but still no good.

EDIT: Found a solution here:
http://www.primecoiner.com/error-adding-key-to-wallet-code-4/

Usually that's one of two things: 1) your wallet is encrypted and you haven't unlocked it or 2) that key exists in your wallet, but just isn't on your "addresses" screen.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: