Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:16:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: SEC Charges Bitcoin Savings and Trust (BTCST) as Ponzi Scheme  (Read 24294 times)
GeoRW

Activity: 350
Merit: 257

Trust No One

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 11:36:59 AM

Don't panic guys. Just invest what you can lose Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MonkeyMarcel

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 11:43:40 AM

Couldn't Open Transactions be used for issuing assets in the future?

I think Open transactions can't get here soon enough.
decentralise the BTC exchanges and decentralise all BTC denominated assets.

Game over jurisdiction.

+1, but the implementation of this decentralisation is way beyond our capacities, the creation of such a system would rival that of the BTC system in terms of complexity.

I just read up on Open Transactions for the first time... Holy shit. Mind blown. To other "OT" noobs, do yourself a favour and read up on this.
crumbs

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 11:48:27 AM

The answer so far as I can tell is that no, I cannot use my bitcoin in the real world.  I cannot hold them, I cannot buy starbucks with them, I cannot trade them at any shop in town that I am aware of.  I cannot call my broker and buy them or buy anything tangible using them.  For me and 99.9% of americans they're still an imaginary experiment.
This line of reasoning is quite weak, since it's easy to exchange them for USD and then spend the USD.
You can also use them directly to buy prepaid credit cards...

Hint:  The credit cards are denominated in what?
If i have a marketable idea, someone will pay me $$$ for it.  I can then spend my $$$ on anything i want.  This does not imply that my idea was a currency, simply that it was sold for money.  Sorry for OT Smiley
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 12:34:48 PM

Why are you asking the BTC community who here has any real advice to give that can actually be taken with credit and not a grain of salt

im just saying that the situation could have been handled better with people who have more knowledge on the subject than a bunch of speculative investors

Yeah well...crowdsourcing, right?

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
ldrgn

Activity: 118

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 01:08:32 PM

A bit of advice for non-U.S. entities that have offered and dealt with the U.S. citizens:

Whatever you do make sure that you return to the investor at least the original nominal value of the investment. Or that you can return the original nominal value to all the investors.

Looks like TU.SILVER is fucked.
usagi
VIP

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 01:23:03 PM

A bit of advice for non-U.S. entities that have offered and dealt with the U.S. citizens:

Whatever you do make sure that you return to the investor at least the original nominal value of the investment. Or that you can return the original nominal value to all the investors.

Looks like TU.SILVER is fucked.

Too obvious troll is too obvious.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 01:39:36 PM
Last edit: July 25, 2013, 02:52:09 PM by DeathAndTaxes

There have been quite a few references and questions regarding BTC-TC, so I'll address things as best I can.

- One of the fun things that I'd like to know regarding the 1933 securities act is what their definition of profit is.  Since I've never cross-connected BTC and Fiat, I'm not sure where the connection gets made.  For all I know, a hole in sha256 will be discovered tomorrow and BTC will be shown to have zero value in terms of Fiat.  It seems like by the strict letter of the law, playing a game such as Monopoly is illegal, as the little paper moneys have SOME fiat value, no matter how finite.

- Location of the servers is an issue.  This is partly why we do the several times a day emails to issuers of the share lists.  Addressing the server location issue has been discussed and will be tackled as soon as I can garner some trustworthy help from someone that can bootstrap an installation from bare metal.  Biggest issue is that I simply cannot trust a random ISP's platform install.  I may even end up having to make the trip myself.

- Humans involved could be nabbed.  Three things about this:
    1) They'll nab anyone they want for anything they want.  We've all done something wrong.  (google "three felonies a day.")  There's so much vague crap on the books in the US that they can find something on anyone.
    2) Things changed very recently with the "Bitcoin is money" approach the feds have taken.  Prior to that our legal approach was that Bitcoin is WOW Gold or Linden Dollars and we were a game.  (Someone want to explain to me the difference?  Why is WOW Gold or Linden Dollars not on the SEC website?  Both have exchanges (eg: ebay) and investments going on.)  To what extent law breaking occurred depends on a whole lot of things.  Probably the easiest way around this is for BTC-TC to stop accepting traffic from US users.
    3) I've been looking for overseas investors to take over the majority stake.  My personal goal is to get to where I'm the "programmer for hire" and really nothing more.  This is why so much of the site is setup to be self sustaining. The site really won't miss me much with the exception of the issues I have been running.  Which brings me to:

- Exposure on LTC-MINING and LTC-MINING.LTC... Please sell me back your shares.  Wink  Both of these are in closure mode.

- Exposure on ASICMINER-PT... this one I'm not sure there's much exposure on... it'd be hard to pin any losses for example on the PT rather than the underlying issue.  Probably I'll have to close it to US participation though as well.

- It'd be interesting to try to pin down -exactly- what distinguishes a game from an investment.  To me it's always been about learning the trading ropes in an environment that didn't involve losing "real money".  That was why we started on Litecoin.  It was a convenient in-game currency.  To me it's as cut and dry as it is for WoW.  I have no problem telling the difference between the game world and the real world.  One I walk around in for real.  The other I have to sit at the computer and log in and interact through a computer.  Take this same argument to BTC-TC and I have to ask myself, can I interact with BTC-TC in the real world?  Or do I HAVE to sit down at a computer and log in to play?  The answer so far as I can tell is that no, I cannot use my bitcoin in the real world.  I cannot hold them, I cannot buy starbucks with them, I cannot trade them at any shop in town that I am aware of.  I cannot call my broker and buy them or buy anything tangible using them.  For me and 99.9% of americans they're still an imaginary experiment.

I get back to wondering why all of a sudden the SEC/FinCEN decided out of the blue to recognize them.  The only thing I can come up with is so that they can prevent them from ever becoming "real".  To prevent people from using them they have to make examples out of people and to make examples out of people they have to first recognize them.  A bit of a catch-22 for sure.

I'm also still wrapping my brain around why all of a sudden Bitcoin is money to the US when so many prior incarnations of similar things are not money.  The Feds have argued for a century that the only real money is the money they (or another government) print.  Time and again rather than allowing commodities that act like money to exist, they have shut them down and denied that they ever were "money" or "currency".  It's definitely caught me somewhat by surprise and the site needs to make some changes to co-exist in this new world order.

In any case, there are definitely things that need to be improved for the site.  I hate to say this, but barring some kind of loophole, it may come down to excluding US citizens from playing the game.   Sad

Rather than try to naunce some terms like "profit" why not look at SEC case against BTCST.  Pretending something is a "game" is not a defense.  If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, the courts are going to find that it is a duck.  There is ABSOLUTELY nothing which requires an investment to be in legal tender or even money in general.  The definition is intentionally broad and courts have created substantial precedent allowing non-standard investments to be considered investments.  The very fact that Mr. Shavers advertised in the "Securities" portion of the forum is used against him.   However why not read what the SEC actually allegedes in the complaint.

Spoiler alert the following are not a legal defense and no competent counsel would tell you otherwise:
1) It is not an investment because ... Bitcoin.
2) It is not an investment because ... "it is a game".
3) It is not an investment because ... "I can't interact with BTC-TC in the real world" (Hint: I can't interact with the NYSE in the real world either).

Trying to self-rationalize why "LTC is a game" is a fools errand.  The law rarely ever is based on "common sense".  Find legal counsel able to stipulate that you and you might have the start of something.

The BTCST Investments Are Securities as Defined by the Federal Securities Laws
The definitions of “security” under Section 2(a)(1) of the Securities Act [15 U.S.C. §
77b(a)(1)] and Section 3(a)(10) of the Exchange Act [15 U.S.C. § 77c(a)(10)] include both
“investment contract” and “note.” Courts “are not bound by legal formalism, but instead take
account of the economics of the transaction” to determine whether a security exists.
Reves v.
Ernst & Young, 494 U.S. 56, 61 (1990); see, e.g., SEC v. SG Ltd., 265 F.3d 42 (1st Cir. 2001)
(holding virtual shares in virtual company existing only online were securities). “Congress’
purpose in enacting the securities laws was to regulate investments, in whatever form they are
made and by whatever name they are called.
” Reves, 494 U.S. at 61. (emphasis in original). The
BTCST investments qualify as both investment contracts and notes and, thus, are securities.

An investment contract is any contract, transaction, or scheme involving (1) an
investment of money, (2) in a common enterprise, (3) with the expectation that profits will be
derived from the efforts of the promoter or a third party. SEC v. W.J. Howey & Co., 328 U.S.
293, 298-99 (1946); see Long v. Shultz Cattle Co., Inc., 881 F.2d 129, 132-33 (5th Cir. 1989).

The “investment of money” element may be satisfied by consideration other than money. See
Int’l Bhd. of Teamsters, Chauffeurs, Warehousemen and Helpers of Am., 439 U.S. 551, 560, n.12
(1979) (the “investment” may take the form of “goods and services”). Moreover, BTC is money.
BTC may be used to purchase goods or services, or exchanged for conventional currencies,
including the U.S. dollar, Euro, Yen, and Yuan. Recognizing as much, the Department of the
Treasury issued guidance concerning the applicability of the regulations implementing the Bank
Secrecy Act to virtual currencies such as BTC. See Treasury Guidance (FIN-2013-G001) –
Application of FinCEN’s Regulations to Persons Administering, Exchanging, or Using Virtual
Currencies (Mar. 18, 2013).
In the Fifth Circuit, the second and third elements of an investment
contract are met where investors are dependent upon a promoter’s expertise, just as the BTCST
investors were dependent upon Shavers’ supposed expertise in BTC market arbitrage, to generate
the returns promised on their investments. See Long, 881 F.2d at 140-41.

Any note is presumed to be a security unless the presumption can be overcome because
the note bears a strong resemblance to one of several judicially-enumerated instruments that are
not securities. Reves, 494 U.S. 56. The types of notes that are not securities include a consumer
financing note, a note secured by a mortgage on a home, a short-term note secured by a lien on a
small business or its assets, and a note which simply formalizes an open-account debt incurred in
the ordinary course of business.
Id. at 65. The factors used to determine whether a note
sufficiently resembles these “non-securities” and, thus, is not a security under the federal
securities laws are: (1) the motivations that would prompt a reasonable buyer and seller to enter
into the transaction; (2) the plan of distribution of the instrument; (3) the reasonable expectations
of the investing public;
and (4) whether some factor, such as the existence of another regulatory
scheme, significantly reduces the risk of the instrument, thereby rendering application of the
securities laws unnecessary. Id. at 65-67. Here, the transaction between Defendants and the
BTCST investors had all the earmarks of an investment, suggesting a security, and no
commercial or consumer aspect, as with the judicially-enumerated instruments that are not
securities. The BTCST investments were offered and sold to a broad segment of the public as
Plaintiff’s Emergency Motion for Order to Show Cause, Asset Freeze and Other Ancillary Relief
investments. Moreover, no risk-reducing factors existed to militate against a finding that the
BTCST investments were securities. No other regulatory agency oversees the BTCST
investments, and BTC itself is a virtual currency, with no single administrator, or central
authority or repository

http://ia600904.us.archive.org/35/items/gov.uscourts.txed.146063/gov.uscourts.txed.146063.1.0.pdf

BTW I am not a lawyer and none of this should be considered legal counsel however the highlighted #3 is going to be a killer.  You can call it a "game" all you wan't, you can scream "GAME, GAME, GAME" as they deliver a summons but if the "reasonable expectations of the investing public" don't see it as a game but as an investment well that is going to ring hollow.  This entire forum is already reviewed by the SEC (as evident by the detailed threads recorded and notarized in the action against Mr. Shavers).  You pointed out what about Linden dollars and WOW gold.  Well Linden has taken steps to eliminate in game investing and gambling for this EXACT reason (to avoid being regulated by SEC) and Blizzard provides no convertibility and takes steps to ban gold to USD exchangers.  Now people still do it but it provides Blizzard and Linden some level of deniability.  Having an "asset exchange" which is denominated in the worlds largest and most liquid virtual currency is hardly the same thing.  What steps have you taken to prevent people from generating (or promising) real world profits by playing this "game".  I mean if you call it a game in name only it isn't going to take a rocket scientist to pierce that paper defense.   Sudaffed can be used to make meth and that isn't the distributors of Sudafed's fault however if the box of Sudafed came with instructions on making meth and your local drug store held meth demonstrations on weekends obviously the DEA would be looking at those distributors in a different light right?  There is a difference between misuse of a product and the use of product as intended.  Do you honestly think (hint SEC likely has already downloaded an archived copy of this entire forum, plus your entire website) that based on your words, the words on your site, and the words of your issuers that an average juror is going to see this as a "not for profit" game.  Forget the prosecution's case imagine the jury just read "your side".  Do you honestly think they are that dumb?

Really you have three logical ways forward and one of them involve anything as silly as "if we keep calling it a game we are exempt"
a) The MtGox model. becomes licensed and regulated.  Most likely it will be insanely expensive, time consuming, and difficult.  Even if licensed your business model would need to change radically (hint there are no anonymous investments in the US, so called "bearer" bonds/notes have been prohibited for the better part of 40 years).  I just include this option for completeness.

b) The PokerStars model.  ACTIVELY exclude US residents, citizens, and entities from either listing or trading.  Simply having a checkbox "I am not a US resident" is likely not sufficient, just ask the foreign online poker sites that the DOJ took down (servers, companies, and bank accounts all in non-US soil and the DOJ got sufficient help from governments where the activity was legal to seize assets in excess of >$500 million).  You likely will need to consult with SEC on what would provide you a safe harbor exception but based on online poker's fallout I would imagine they would look for policies which require proof of non-US residence and actively blocking US based IP addresses.

c) The SR model. It is illegal and so what.  SR doesn't try to pretend they are a "game" that is just an idiotic half step.  Make sure your servers, operator's identities, assets, and operations are sufficiently shielded that prosecution becomes difficulty if not impossible.  Note that the SR wouldn't exist if they tried to pretend US laws didn't apply, that is just dumb.  They embrace the illegality of their actions AND are very conscious that lots of agencies with lots of resources would love nothing more than to shut them down forever.  I am sure that provides a lot of motivation to ensure they are diligent in keeping themselves shielded.  Nobody on the SR has to check a box saying this is just a "indirect delivery game", everyone is a grown up and they know what is going on.

ajk
Donator

Activity: 447
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 02:25:10 PM

Yeah well...crowdsourcing, right?

Lol. I can appreciate the sarcasm

I think the idea of crowdsourcing is great but every idea has its applications, this case is like the CEO asking the interns what he should do and everyone's reacting accordingly, strong staying strong and weak being weak, like any market there are a lot more weak hands then strong ones but Ethan should have checked the options before starting the fear / uncertainty

now we are left with what we are today which is indecision what is to come I have no idea but definitely not to pleased with the way things are turning out
Deprived

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 03:32:58 PM

b) The PokerStars model.  ACTIVELY exclude US residents, citizens, and entities from either listing or trading.  Simply having a checkbox "I am not a US resident" is likely not sufficient, just ask the foreign online poker sites that the DOJ took down (servers, companies, and bank accounts all in non-US soil and the DOJ got sufficient help from governments where the activity was legal to seize assets in excess of >$500 million).

The implication of what you posted is that Pokerstars DID have a check-box for people to tick saying they weren't in the US.  That's totally wrong.  At the time the US moved against them Stars (and Fulltilt) both accepted US players and claimed they'd been advised that was fine.  The actual action against them didn't hinge on them having US players anyway - but on the means by which funds were being transferred between US players and the sites (and the steps that were being taken to disguise those movements of funds).

I DO agree with the main thrust of your post - that claiming it's just a game won't have any impact at all on what does/doesn't happen.  To have any chance of claiming something's a game (as, for instance, is the case with companies in Eve-Online) it would need to have no interaction at all with fiat-money.

All the time an exchange lists securities which claim to have a face value fixed in USD I really can't see the "it's a game" idea having a leg to stand on.  Same for any listing which claims to give rights to the profits of a company conducting fiat-denominated business or having fiat-denominated expenditure/income (which indicates that company/individual considers fiat/BTC to be interchangable).

The main defence exchanges have had to date is being too small to matter and trying to avoid listing scams.  Both of those things are ceasing to be the case - I'm amazed, for example, that no investor in Ziggap appears to have filed a complaint with the SEC to get the clown who ran it in trouble.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 03:44:31 PM
Last edit: July 25, 2013, 04:04:59 PM by DeathAndTaxes

b) The PokerStars model.  ACTIVELY exclude US residents, citizens, and entities from either listing or trading.  Simply having a checkbox "I am not a US resident" is likely not sufficient, just ask the foreign online poker sites that the DOJ took down (servers, companies, and bank accounts all in non-US soil and the DOJ got sufficient help from governments where the activity was legal to seize assets in excess of >$500 million).

The implication of what you posted is that Pokerstars DID have a check-box for people to tick saying they weren't in the US.  That's totally wrong.  At the time the US moved against them Stars (and Fulltilt) both accepted US players and claimed they'd been advised that was fine.  The actual action against them didn't hinge on them having US players anyway - but on the means by which funds were being transferred between US players and the sites (and the steps that were being taken to disguise those movements of funds).

Yeah it was an unclear example.  I was thinking more Pokerstars today.  Today, if you are trying to connect from a US based IP address you can't play real money games, if you sign up for real money games you can't legitimately enter a US based address, they don't accept US based credit cards or bank accounts.  When trying to withdraw funds (over a token amount) you will need to provide KYC type docs and if you are US based well you aren't ever getting your money.  They actively monitor players and even accidentally connecting from the US (say UK player connecting on business) will get the account instantly frozen.  The exact mechanics may vary but that is the level of "dedication" necessary to take that route. Does this mean no US player has ever been able to circumvent their restrictions? Of course not, there is even a thriving EU identity business going.  The good news is absolute prohibition is rarely the standard, PokerStar's actions (today) shows a "good faith effort" to comply and prevent financial transfers from US residents.

Just having a "I promise I am not from the US" checkbox, something proposed upthread, isn't IMHO going to cause the SEC to turn a blind eye.  If an SEC agent can create an account from a US based IP address, check the "I am not a US resident" and then is free to invest unlimited funds well that likely isn't going to be seen as any good faith effort and you can believe they will test it, and record the session for future civil action (they did against the poker sites, yes agents deposited taxpayer funds and gambled it as "evidence" while on the clock).  Maybe it would have been better to say "PartyPoker model" since they were the ones to shutoff US based players prior to "Black Friday".  BTW I still have $5K tied up in Full Tilt's in-reim seizure.  Yay me!  Since I used the flawed analogy it might be a good idea to add that PokerStars failure to employ these self-policing steps before legal action cost them about $250,000,000 in fines and seized assets.  Luckily the company is immensely profitable and has deep pockets so they were able to ride it out. If a Bitcoin asset exchange tried to play "fast and loose" with the rules and got hit with a fine two magnitudes smaller, say a mere $1M in fines and asset seizures would they be able to "reform" and ride it out?  My guess is no, they would fold like a cheap card table.

The main defence exchanges have had to date is being too small to matter and trying to avoid listing scams.
Agreed.  The bad news is I think some took a lack of action to mean "we are immune".  In reality it simply means you WERE (as in past tense) too small for anyone to care.  Much like someone selling $1,000 in weed to his friends is unlikely to be the target of a federal DEA taskforce.  As the securities I am sorry "asset games" get larger and larger eventually, I don't know or even care to predict when, but eventually it WILL be big enough for the SEC to take action, even if it is just for the headline "SEC busts major illegal securities ring involving Bitcoin".
Deprived

Activity: 532

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 03:54:51 PM

b) The PokerStars model.  ACTIVELY exclude US residents, citizens, and entities from either listing or trading.  Simply having a checkbox "I am not a US resident" is likely not sufficient, just ask the foreign online poker sites that the DOJ took down (servers, companies, and bank accounts all in non-US soil and the DOJ got sufficient help from governments where the activity was legal to seize assets in excess of >$500 million).

The implication of what you posted is that Pokerstars DID have a check-box for people to tick saying they weren't in the US.  That's totally wrong.  At the time the US moved against them Stars (and Fulltilt) both accepted US players and claimed they'd been advised that was fine.  The actual action against them didn't hinge on them having US players anyway - but on the means by which funds were being transferred between US players and the sites (and the steps that were being taken to disguise those movements of funds).

Yeah it was an unclear example.  I was thinking more Pokerstars today.  If you are trying to connect from a US based IP address you can't play real money games, if you sign up for real money games you can't legitimately enter a US based address, they don't accept US based credit cards or bank accounts.  When trying to withdraw funds (over a token amount) you will need to provide KYC type docs and if you are US based well you aren't ever getting your money.  They actively monitor players and even accidentally connecting from the US (say UK player connecting on business) will get the account instantly frozen.  The exact mechanics may vary but that is the level of "dedication" necessary to take that route.  Just having a "I promise I am not from the US" checkbox  (something proposed upthread) isn't going to get the SEC to turn a blind eye.  Maybe it would have been better to say "PartyPoker model".  Since I used the flawed analogy it might be a good idea to add that PokerStars failure to do this before legal action cost them about $250,000,000 in fines and seized assets.  Luckily the company is immensely profitable and has deep pockets so they were able to ride it out.  If a Bitcoin asset exchange tried to play "fast and loose" with the rules and got hit with just say $1M in fines and asset seizures would they be able to "reform" and ride it out?  My guess is no, they would fold like a cheap card table.

The main defence exchanges have had to date is being too small to matter and trying to avoid listing scams.
Agreed.  The bad news is many I think took that to mean "we are immune" no it simply means you WERE (as in past tense) too small for anyone to care.  As the securities I am sorry "asset games" get larger and larger eventually I don't know or even care to predict when but eventually it will be big enough for the SEC to see it as a headline if nothing else. 

Agreed about the steps Stars take nowadays.

Think the main thing which will cause the SEC to go after an exchange will be when some significant-sized asset scams/defaults/fails and the operator and/or victims are in the US.  At that stage if they're having to investigate the security it kind of makes sense to go after the exchange at the same time as they'd have to interact with the exchange one way or another whilst gathering evidence.  I think that's probably AMC's best change of making headlines in the BTC world tbh - around middle of next year when it becomes apparent investors are in for a large loss to something run from on US soil.  They only need 1 US investor for all the foreign registered companies etc to be irrelevant - and AMC gave profit projections in USD so has no 'it's a game' defence to even try to hide behind.

Best defence for those of us actually running investments is to make a profit whenever the outcome of an investment hinges on our own predictions, competence or efforts.  That cuts out a lot of potential charges right away.  Not being in the US also helps of course.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2013, 04:19:37 PM

Really you have three logical ways forward and one of them involve anything as silly as "if we keep calling it a game we are exempt"
a) The MtGox model. becomes licensed and regulated.  Most likely it will be insanely expensive, time consuming, and difficult.  Even if licensed your business model would need to change radically (hint there are no anonymous investments in the US, so called "bearer" bonds/notes have been prohibited for the better part of 40 years).  I just include this option for completeness.

b) The PokerStars model.  ACTIVELY exclude US residents, citizens, and entities from either listing or trading.  Simply having a checkbox "I am not a US resident" is likely not sufficient, just ask the foreign online poker sites that the DOJ took down (servers, companies, and bank accounts all in non-US soil and the DOJ got sufficient help from governments where the activity was legal to seize assets in excess of >$500 million).  You likely will need to consult with SEC on what would provide you a safe harbor exception but based on online poker's fallout I would imagine they would look for policies which require proof of non-US residence and actively blocking US based IP addresses.

c) The SR model. It is illegal and so what.  SR doesn't try to pretend they are a "game" that is just an idiotic half step.  Make sure your servers, operator's identities, assets, and operations are sufficiently shielded that prosecution becomes difficulty if not impossible.  Note that the SR wouldn't exist if they tried to pretend US laws didn't apply, that is just dumb.  They embrace the illegality of their actions AND are very conscious that lots of agencies with lots of resources would love nothing more than to shut them down forever.  I am sure that provides a lot of motivation to ensure they are diligent in keeping themselves shielded.  Nobody on the SR has to check a box saying this is just a "indirect delivery game", everyone is a grown up and they know what is going on.

d) The MPEx model.  Protected server accessible only via proxy.  GPG signed orders on IRC.  High sign-up fee to keep away whiny bratty needy noob children.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Entropy-uc

Merit: 501

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 04:21:12 PM

Agreed about the steps Stars take nowadays.

Think the main thing which will cause the SEC to go after an exchange will be when some significant-sized asset scams/defaults/fails and the operator and/or victims are in the US.  At that stage if they're having to investigate the security it kind of makes sense to go after the exchange at the same time as they'd have to interact with the exchange one way or another whilst gathering evidence.  I think that's probably AMC's best change of making headlines in the BTC world tbh - around middle of next year when it becomes apparent investors are in for a large loss to something run from on US soil.  They only need 1 US investor for all the foreign registered companies etc to be irrelevant - and AMC gave profit projections in USD so has no 'it's a game' defence to even try to hide behind.

Best defence for those of us actually running investments is to make a profit whenever the outcome of an investment hinges on our own predictions, competence or efforts.  That cuts out a lot of potential charges right away.  Not being in the US also helps of course.

I doubt that it will take that long for AMC/VMC/AM/Ken Slaughter to get a visit from the folks with black suits and subpoenas.  Much of the reason no one has been prosecuted by the SEC up until now is because the SEC has never done it before.  Organizational inertia is a major factor in government.  Now that the path has been blazed that bitcoin securities offenses can be prosecuted, ambitious folks in the SEC are going to see all the low hanging fruit and go make their careers.  And there is no need for the current suckers to actually lose money and complain, a competitor could start the ball rolling just as easily.  Do you think Inaba is above dropping a dime on Ken?
adameb

Activity: 76

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 04:22:07 PM

I think that's probably AMC's best change of making headlines in the BTC world tbh - around middle of next year when it becomes apparent investors are in for a large loss to something run from on US soil.  They only need 1 US investor for all the foreign registered companies etc to be irrelevant - and AMC gave profit projections in USD so has no 'it's a game' defence to even try to hide behind.

Offtopic, but genuinely curious about this particular projection.  Any elaboration available?

Will Dance For Satoshis - 1F1q93wAqgH8WFghRKpnBW8HxShuzkRrqc
Peter Lambert

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 05:02:08 PM

d) The MPEx model.  Protected server accessible only via proxy.  GPG signed orders on IRC.  High sign-up fee to keep away whiny bratty needy noob children.

Isn't the MPEx model just another implementation of the SR model?

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2013, 05:34:51 PM

MPEx resembles SR on the server side (you don't get to know the IP).

But MPEx management operates more or less openly.  MP/PR are easier to find, or at least to identify, than DPR.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
tinus42

Activity: 784

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 06:58:35 PM

But MPEx management operates more or less openly.  MP/PR are easier to find, or at least to identify, than DPR.

It's not as if MP takes great lenghts hiding his name and face:

Though why he would ride a horse instead of a camel in Egypt is indeed a great mystery.  Cheesy
tinus42

Activity: 784

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 07:06:14 PM

Actually the Gizeh pyramids are not far from the city limits of Cairo as this picture shows:

It's not as if one would have to trek for hours to reach the pyramids as the usual desert side pics suggest.
crumbs

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 08:26:09 PM

But MPEx management operates more or less openly.  MP/PR are easier to find, or at least to identify, than DPR.

Though why he would ride a horse instead of a camel in Egypt is a great mystery.  Cheesy

A better question would be why he's wearing an ill-fitting 3 piece suit in the freaking desert.  Photoshop?

Not a shop as far as i can tell, if it is, it's exceptionally well done.  As in exceptionally.  As far as camel vs. pone, wouldn't you pick a horse if not for camel's novelty?  The suit is a bit...  yeah.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2013, 08:32:16 PM
Last edit: July 25, 2013, 09:18:34 PM by iCEBREAKER

But MPEx management operates more or less openly.  MP/PR are easier to find, or at least to identify, than DPR.

Though why he would ride a horse instead of a camel in Egypt is a great mystery.  Cheesy

A better question would be why he's wearing an ill-fitting 3 piece suit in the freaking desert.  Photoshop?

He's riding a horse because that's the best way to get from Romania to Giza.  More scenic, girls like horses, etc.

The suit is for the Lulz of course.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████