Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 03:45:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Mining Setup/Power info?  (Read 2198 times)
bitcoin_mining_noob (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 23, 2017, 04:40:25 PM

I have some Antminer D3's and Antminer S9's on order with Bitmain and I'm trying to figure out the power requirements/setup that I'll need. I've been investing for several months and opted to get some units in hand mine in addition to investing. I had an electrician come out and I just need to figure out how much I can run off a 220v circuit.

Right now my setup is like this:

1x - 200 Amp main breaker
1x - 100 Amp sub panel located in my garage

The 200 Amp main is full, the 100 Amp sub is almost full - I think it has 7 open slots currently. Rather than trying to run off it the game plan is to put another 100 Amp sub panel run off my main in the basement where I'll be setting up my miners. I just have the following questions that I'm not 100% on:

1.) I've ordered the APW3++ units for my PSU but it doesn't come with the power cord. Is there a recommended or preferred power cord to use and what type of ends does it
 need terminated - I plan to run them off 220V

2.) How many S9, D3 or L3+ units can I get away with running off one 220v circuit?

3.) Is there an estimate of how much heat each unit will put off? When everything arrives it will be winter and my basement generally is about 45 degrees F. I should have a total of 4 units to start but any input on heat expectations would be helpful for Spring/Summer use. My basement is about 1,800 sqft split with the miners on the side under my garage which is about 900 sqft completely open.

My initial thought regarding heat was to get some fans to push from one side of my basement to the other. I do have several windows so once at start getting more I can either install AC units or fans to push heat out. Any info would be helpful to a complete mining noob Wink 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
GreatNorthData

Activity: 105
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2017, 05:20:35 PM

You will over heat your house with just 10 miners. If you have an out building, like a shed or garage, put them there. If you have a spouse, they will murder you if you build a mine in your basement.

The latter part is from experience...

Lowest-Cost Miner Hosting:  greatnorthdata.com
Sr.Urbanist

Activity: 315
Merit: 120

View Profile
September 23, 2017, 08:13:06 PM

I have some Antminer D3's and Antminer S9's on order with Bitmain and I'm trying to figure out the power requirements/setup that I'll need. I've been investing for several months and opted to get some units in hand mine in addition to investing. I had an electrician come out and I just need to figure out how much I can run off a 220v circuit.

I had one come out to my place and I decided to rent industrial warehouse space instead.  

1.) I've ordered the APW3++ units for my PSU but it doesn't come with the power cord. Is there a recommended or preferred power cord to use and what type of ends does it

One that's rates 15 or 20A would be best.

2.) How many S9, D3 or L3+ units can I get away with running off one 220v circuit?

The electrician who came out to my place said three.

3.) Is there an estimate of how much heat each unit will put off?

They measure heat in the amount of electricity consumed. A D3 should be around 1.2 K/w of heat.

I should have a total of 4 units to start but any input on heat expectations would be helpful for Spring/Summer use. My basement is about 1,800 sqft split with the miners on the side under my garage which is about 900 sqft completely open.

You'll want to make sure you have ventilation.  I had one S9 in my basement all summer and it was enough to keep the AC running in a 2600 sq ft place.  Another thing is that these suckers are LOUD!  I bought a pair of noise-canceling headphones and was looking at building a room with special noise dampering insulation.  I decided, instead, to rent out a place as I am upgrading to about 20 more units and want space for up to 40.

My initial thought regarding heat was to get some fans to push from one side of my basement to the other. I do have several windows so once at start getting more I can either install AC units or fans to push heat out. Any info would be helpful to a complete mining noob Wink  

A/C will increase your operational cost. Each S9 runs at about ~6400 cfm and an L3+ is ~3800. I haven't got my D3s, yet. To keep your place at an even temp you'll want to multiple the cfm of each unit by the number of units you have.  If you have ten S9s, you'll want 64,000 cfm and ten L3+s would be 38,000 cfm.  
bitcoin_mining_noob (OP)

View Profile
September 25, 2017, 02:08:29 AM

Thanks for the detailed response. Some further info to get your thoughts:

1.) "One that's rates 15 or 20A would be best."

This would just be a 220v plug on one end then 3-prong like a PC on the other correct?

2. "You'll want to make sure you have ventilation.  I had one S9 in my basement all summer and it was enough to keep the AC running in a 2600 sq ft place.  Another thing is that these suckers are LOUD!  I bought a pair of noise-canceling headphones and was looking at building a room with special noise dampering insulation.  I decided, instead, to rent out a place as I am upgrading to about 20 more units and want space for up to 40."

and:

"You will over heat your house with just 10 miners. If you have an out building, like a shed or garage, put them there. If you have a spouse, they will murder you if you build a mine in your basement."

My garage is attached to the house and my basement also runs underneath my garage. So, where I'm planning to put them will be underneath about 8" of concrete. I figured this would be enough to dampen the noise and hopefully separate the heat a bit. In my basement the side underneath the garage there is a wall with a door so I can close that off to prevent heat entering the other half of the basement hopefully.

Really hoping to vent out from there, I do have a shed about 75' from the house but I'm hoping to get things going up inside the house. I guess maybe I'll get the 2x hooked up I have coming in the first part of November and see how much heat they generate. I considered my shed but in the summer it gets super hot there vs. my basement that is always much cooler.
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
September 25, 2017, 09:32:06 PM

If you dont vent the area you are mining in, things will overheat within a few hours of turn on. You NEED active airflow to keep things cool.

L3 = 900w space heater
D3 = 1200w space heater
S9 = 1500w space heater

You have to look at the units like that and plan accordingly.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
Philopolymath

Activity: 558
Merit: 295

Walter Russell's Cosmogony is RIGHT!

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 12:41:03 AM

If you dont vent the area you are mining in, things will overheat within a few hours of turn on. You NEED active airflow to keep things cool.

L3 = 900w space heater
D3 = 1200w space heater
S9 = 1500w space heater

Roger that... understood..will comply..
I've hired two 3rd world refugees to hold palm leaves and wave them at the miners..and feed me grapes etc...I'm good to go...

Support Alien Beer Circle research...www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRXDk2RMQ4A
bitcoin_mining_noob (OP)

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 01:18:41 AM

L3 = 900w space heater
D3 = 1200w space heater
S9 = 1500w space heater

Thank you so much that makes it super easy to understand Wink

In the winter the 2x D3's I've got coming might get it up a little and I guess I'll wire over Bitmain money for the S9's now. Guess I'll have to see how it is in the spring/summer, today it was probably 90 outside and my basement was still around 60. I'll just get some fans setup if the heat becomes an issue, I'll share some pictures once I get my first units in!
T-Gee05

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 03:02:52 AM

Right now my setup is like this:

1x - 200 Amp main breaker
1x - 100 Amp sub panel located in my garage

The 200 Amp main is full, the 100 Amp sub is almost full - I think it has 7 open slots currently. Rather than trying to run off it the game plan is to put another 100 Amp sub panel run off my main in the basement where I'll be setting up my miners. I just have the following questions that I'm not 100% on:

3.) Is there an estimate of how much heat each unit will put off? When everything arrives it will be winter and my basement generally is about 45 degrees F. I should have a total of 4 units to start but any input on heat expectations would be helpful for Spring/Summer use. My basement is about 1,800 sqft split with the miners on the side under my garage which is about 900 sqft completely open.

Given you have 1 of each miner you said (3 units).. it has a total of 3600W of power.. In a 220V electricity supply, it is safe to put a 20A breaker to that 100A sub-main breaker. You have around 16A load to that 20A breaker.. that is 80% utilization = SAFE.

You can connect a pair of 3.5sqmm (12AWG) THHN  stranded copper wire or Gauge RC12/2 (Royal cord) or if you want RC12/3 (with grounding) to that 20A breaker, then to an outlet. If you want more miners.. put another 20A breaker to that panel to have another 3 unit miner per circuit.

For that 3600W total power of miner.. that is 12276 BTU/hr heat load.. or around 1TR (Tons of Refrigeration) air-conditioning unit.

bitcoin_mining_noob (OP)

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 09:35:12 PM

Thanks again for the help with all the info. I got my wiring installed over the weekend, for now I'm just doing 3x 220v lines per 20amp breaker. Hopefully my D3's arrive in the first of November so I can gauge the heat and start expanding!

https://i.imgur.com/7z6u3dr.jpg
dinotom

Activity: 19

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 04:38:55 PM

I see someone in this thread said ~6400 cfm per Antminer S9? The stated rate is 220CFM, which is correct?
hooch8000

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 09:00:39 AM

I see someone in this thread said ~6400 cfm per Antminer S9? The stated rate is 220CFM, which is correct?

Its 220 CFM.  Widely known and tested figure for S9's.

6400 CFM is ridiculous.  As an example, the Bugatti Veyron at over 300 km/h on the high side of the power curve, takes in 45000 CFM.  Additionally a 737's engines each pull in 2M CFM at max thrust, which would mean you could power a 737 by strapping on 300 miners. 

...hell, with the 300 S9s on each wing, and a couple solar panels glued to the fuselage, we would have a self powered plane that literally pays people bitcoin to fly on it.

or not.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: