Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 08:25:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BREAKING: SEC Charges pirateat40 With Running Bitcoin-Denominated Ponzi Scheme  (Read 44404 times)
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 07:54:38 PM

Round them up. When is payb.tc who is now Hightower, going to get some charges. He is another croward, just changes his name so the heat can't stick. I hope he faces some charges, I hope he is scared like the croward he is.

I am also glad to see my call with the SEC back when it was happening actually lead to charges!
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
btceic

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2013, 08:13:47 PM

The only question is: where is the money?
Someone obviously took it, and IMO pirateat40 was just a poor sucker, in all this scam.

Didn't he ''invest'' the coins in another ponzi?

You know what? That's a valid point! Maybe not a ponzi, per se, but a business. I believe that Trendon Shavers was the VC that funded BF Labs Inc. I think the SEC should look into Butterfly Labs to make sure that wasn't the case. It sure would explain why BFL never stated who the VC was, in spite of many request.

Phinnaeus,
You need to try harder on this crusade youv'e got going on bfl, do something that really affects their business and then you've got something! Maybe a couple of websites, some adwords campaings etc.

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value
bitcoindigi

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 08:21:48 PM

make me nervous about my money in coinlenders now. my heart jumped when i first read it

you make like 1.8% per month, that's at least nothing too uncommon
candoo

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

Vertrau in Gott

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 08:30:44 PM

maybe we will see the stolen BTC coming back!

hahaha the btc had been paid to other investors.  Some of them cashed out instead of keeping all the profits.

Einer trage des andern Last, so werdet ihr das Gesetz Christi erfüllen.
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 08:31:30 PM

Please tell me you pulled that list out of a folder tagged "Incriminating material in case I need it"
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2013, 08:33:15 PM

Someone obviously took it, and IMO pirateat40 was just a poor sucker, in all this scam.

You know what? That's a valid point! Maybe not a ponzi, per se, but a business. I believe that Trendon Shavers was the VC that funded BF Labs Inc. I think the SEC should look into Butterfly Labs to make sure that wasn't the case. It sure would explain why BFL never stated who the VC was, in spite of many request.

Phinnaeus,
You need to try harder on this crusade youv'e got going on bfl, do something that really affects their business and then you've got something! Maybe a couple of websites, some adwords campaings etc.

Funny thing is others were saying the same thing about Pirate till after the fall, then a different tune was heard a playin'.

Do people need to be hit over the fuckin' head to be shown that BFL is not operating on the up-and-up?
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2013, 08:35:40 PM

I don't think so, GH. He took 30 minutes to search this forum.  Roll Eyes
elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 08:37:09 PM

I've answered your question, Pirate.

Now you answer mine please.

Is there any hard evidence of any value producing economic activity of your operation except taking deposits, paying "dividends" and converting BTC into USD?

i.e. marketing, PR and damage control do not count.

I think it is a simple and fair question that any legitimate business, even anonymous one, should be able to answer quickly and easily.

If I pulled all my influence on the market things would be much different.  Everyone assumes I'm always applying the brakes (ask walls) in the market but the door swings both ways.  I've been present in the market since day one.

Not a shred of hard evidence, just some cheap rhetoric, unfortunately. I've been absent in the market since day two, so what?

You want evidence? LOL, if you knew what I know, I'd be hounding you. Tongue

fixed the quotes for ya. np.

How mysterious. Still only cheap rhetoric, though.

let's be objective.

- plenty of evidence of taking "deposits"
- plenty of evidence of paying "dividends"
- no evidence whatsoever of any economic activity and no any viable hypothetical biz models even.
- ALL the signs of a ponzi scheme in abundance.

In any case, we will know everything soon, right, was it 27th of July?
It could fold quicker, though, some unexpected newsflow and change of market conditions could force the matter before that perhaps.

The tide will go out eventually.

Right it's a ponzi you WIN.  Take out all the money you have in my operation.  RUN FOR THE HILLS!!

You don't have a shred of evidence or even an idea of what I do.  I truly don't think I could think as slow as you if I tried.

Keep up your good will!!!! TEACH FEAR!

This was... Ahh, five weeks and change before closing day. Wink
greyhawk

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 08:37:29 PM

That'll teach me to get my hopes up.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2013, 08:38:22 PM

Phinnaeus,

I'll just add this quote to this one:

Howdy Y'all

So there seems to be an ever-growing list of topics and links regarding information about what exactly I do to pay my lenders.  Most of the information seems to be fabricated by people wearing pointy foil hats.  On the other hand there are a few respected members of the community that seem to have fallen into the FUD world which has become... this forum.  As you can imagine, knowing what I know about what I do, it's been pretty entertaining to watch.  I must admit, I do enjoy the thrill of getting a reaction from some of these nuts, but there does come a time when you have to stop throwing fuel on the fire.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 08:38:32 PM

Do people need to be hit over the fuckin' head to be shown that BFL is not operating on the up-and-up?
Yes

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
greyhawk

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 08:39:33 PM

Howdy Y'all

So there seems to be an ever-growing list of topics and links regarding information about what exactly I do to pay my lenders.  Most of the information seems to be fabricated by people wearing pointy foil hats.  On the other hand there are a few respected members of the community that seem to have fallen into the FUD world which has become... this forum.  As you can imagine, knowing what I know about what I do, it's been pretty entertaining to watch.  I must admit, I do enjoy the thrill of getting a reaction from some of these nuts, but there does come a time when you have to stop throwing fuel on the fire.

I like that quote. It's so Zerlan.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2013, 08:40:17 PM

Yes

Mmmkay!

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2013, 08:42:39 PM

Howdy Y'all

I like that quote. It's so Zerlan.

You're just saying that because there's an extra space after each period.

You'll love the next quote by Trendon.

Q - Are you running a drug ring and laundering money for Silk Road?

A - Are you kidding me? I live in the US.  If anything I was doing was illegal, my CPA, attorneys, and scariest... my wife would have my head.  So to make it clear, nothing I'm associated with is illegal.
greyhawk

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 08:44:55 PM

That'll teach me to get my hopes up.

lol, actually I took 5 minutes encrypting that folder an searching there and some time for a little refresher, reading it.

Good, now I feel better.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2013, 08:49:23 PM

To misquote what MNW once wrote about Pirate:

I like Butterfly Labs for one, even if they are running a likely illegal and undercover operation for three reasons:

• They make bank
  • They piss everyone else off in how they do it
  • No one can stop them because people follow the money
  • They don't constantly defend himself on a bullshit unrelated forum, sans Inaba when he's off his meds

What do they call this in the real world again? Oh yea, professionalism.
moni3z

Activity: 899
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 09:28:23 PM

I knew he just pissed it all away on gambling and other bullsiht. I bet he has nothing left to show for it except a handful of empty online poker accounts, a car with multiple loans against it, and one unused ticket to Brazil.

I predict the following:

- pirateat40 is so deluded, chronic liar/crazy narcissist he will defend himself
- he will honestly believe he has a chance of not being convicted
- instead of grovelling and pleading out he will lose and get sent away 80+ years
- nobody will get any coins back
uyjulian

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 09:51:48 PM

I wonder how bitcoins will be frozen.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 10:00:42 PM

I predict the following:

- pirateat40 is so deluded, chronic liar/crazy narcissist he will defend himself
- instead of grovelling and pleading out he will lose and get sent away 80+ years

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
threeip (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2013, 11:03:37 PM

I predict the following:

You forgot:
-lawyers get richer
-SEC gets 'manual relief' from its AlphaSoup friends

and one unused ticket to Brazil

Let me guess, he spent all this time learning Spanish, only to discover...

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ GPG:2AFD99BB ಠ_ಠ mon
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: