Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:12:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Argentina is not going Bitcoin  (Read 4090 times)
Realpra (OP)

Activity: 815
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 08:06:39 PM

I loved the story: "Bitcoin saves the people"

.. but it just doesn't match the realities:

1. Argentina has less node activity than New Zealand and is about as bad as Africa and the rest of South America.
2. Of the 5 largest transactions I checked none were from Argentina.
3. Argentina has 25-50% the transactions it should have to match the US in txs per capita and about the same as some countries 5-6 times smaller.

Now my theory is this:
Those countries that need Bitcoin the MOST will get it the LATEST.
I think this is the same as a kid falling behind in the school: Even if a new better teacher comes along the student is so far behind it handicaps him in following the improved teaching and he gains the least.

Same with Argentina; they have bad government and banking which makes them poor and have bad computer/internet coverage (66% compared to 97% of say Denmark) - which combined makes it difficult to learn about, buy and use Bitcoin.

Already based on the stats we have now I think we can say that by and large the "Western world" holds and will hold for a time the vast majority of all Bitcoin - even though their financial systems are superior and cheaper compared to the rest of the worlds.

With a lot of second wave investors being big shots like the Winkelwoss twins, I think we can also say that Bitcoin will not lead to a major redistribution of wealth in terms of type of and location of the people holding the wealth.

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2013, 08:16:20 PM

I don't agree with this. The situation is changing rapidly from what it used to be. The Bitcoin innovators have come from the Western countries almost exclusively, and most enterpreneurs (like me) are providing services over here. That's how it used to be, but now it is different.

I'm seeing enterpreneurs emerge that are actually out there in the countries that could benefit from Bitcoin the most. Things are happening there. A lot of things. China, Kenya, Argentina, Brazil, even Iran, things are happening. Finally. There was simply no one there to spread the word before now, that has quite clearly changed. There was a Bitcoin meetup in Buenos Aires that had 180 people attending, it's quite a drastic change.

Since Bitcoin is growing in Western countries as well, it will probably take a year or two for the others to properly catch up. The service infrastructure and entrepreneurial effort is only getting started, while over here it has developed for a few years already. Just give it time and things will happen big time in countries like Argentina.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
moni3z

Activity: 899
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 10:16:32 PM

Lot's of bitcoin traders in Argentina, problem is they can't get any money out of there without physically driving across the border and using another countries' banking system. Payday in Argentina everybody lines up to drain the ATM so the goverment can't seize their money. After they drain it they go looking to convert worthless ARG into something else
flix
Legendary

Activity: 1227

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 10:20:44 PM

I try to keep up to date on Argentina. My impression is that the handicap they have due to lower Internet penetration compared to western countries is starting to be overcome by the stronger incentives that they have given their horrible currency.
flix
Legendary

Activity: 1227

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 10:23:29 PM

Don't forget that the language barrier has also slowed things down there... but again, that is starting to change. Adoption is starting to overtake other Spanish speaking countries.
EscrowBTC

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 01:19:13 AM

Driving across the border and using another countries banking system is pure madness!
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 01:24:41 AM

I shipped 3 ASICMiner USB Block Erupters to Argentina today Smiley

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
rikur

Activity: 216
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 07:41:53 AM

I hope no one here works in logistics :-)
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 07:19:16 PM

Don't forget that the language barrier has also slowed things down there... but again, that is starting to change. Adoption is starting to overtake other Spanish speaking countries.

I think the language barrier is often underestimated. The vast majority of Bitcoin content, knowledge, and discussion is English. Other cultures/languages have to go through the process of translating much of this, or creating their own content. This takes a great deal of time.

Nobody is arguing that Bitcoin is "Big in Argentina". The argument is that it has shown some early signs of a small core of enthusiasts organizing there, and this is very important because once a committed group gets organized, good things start happening. Look for Bitcoin to gain lots of Argentinian users in 2014.
Driice

Activity: 122

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 07:36:47 PM

Once the volatility of bitcoin dies down I believe it will become a godsend in countries like Argentina and Iran. A currency their governments have no control over...  Roll Eyes

The only problem is how will they get bitcoins?
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 05:26:36 AM

Once the volatility of bitcoin dies down I believe it will become a godsend in countries like Argentina and Iran. A currency their governments have no control over...  Roll Eyes

The only problem is how will they get bitcoins?

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
ivanlabrie

Activity: 812

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 05:35:00 AM

Hi, I'm in Argentina and as far as I know, it is in the Western hemisphere guys...Cheesy

Now, back on track, I think we're seeing lots more people interested in bitcoin, some start buying a few mbtc as a novelty, or get a block erupter since it's a small cool thing to have.

There are some traders, and I see some tourists that buy pesos with btc via localbitcoins but I wouldn't say it's being adopted. It's really far from that.
Lately some news stories mentioned bitcoin which is remarkable, and there are a few local groups promoting meetups and discussion forums as well.

Our local currency (ARS, not argentum / ARG) is in a constant down trend, so many could have a use for bitcoin or whatever crypto currency that is less volatile than our fiat if such thing gains traction.
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2013, 05:37:53 AM

Hi, I'm in Argentina and as far as I know, it is in the Western hemisphere guys...Cheesy

Now, back on track, I think we're seeing lots more people interested in bitcoin, some start buying a few mbtc as a novelty, or get a block erupter since it's a small cool thing to have.

There are some traders, and I see some tourists that buy pesos with btc via localbitcoins but I wouldn't say it's being adopted. It's really far from that.
Lately some news stories mentioned bitcoin which is remarkable, and there are a few local groups promoting meetups and discussion forums as well.

Our local currency (ARS, not argentum / ARG) is in a constant down trend, so many could have a use for bitcoin or whatever crypto currency that is less volatile than our fiat if such thing gains traction.

hey, progress though!
Realpra (OP)

Activity: 815

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 06:11:32 AM

Numbers don't lie. You just had it from the horses mouth.

Sure eventually all the world will be Bitcoin land, but so far Argentina is not its capitol or even close. I hope this changes of course.

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com
vokain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2013, 06:22:44 AM

Numbers don't lie. You just had it from the horses mouth.

Sure eventually all the world will be Bitcoin land, but so far Argentina is not its capitol or even close. I hope this changes of course.

but progress nonetheless Smiley
worldinacoin

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 06:29:43 AM

The second wave coming in will be the Chinese and they will swarm the Bitcoin economy just as they had done for the production facilities around the world.
vokain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2013, 06:37:19 AM

The second wave coming in will be the Chinese and they will swarm the Bitcoin economy just as they had done for the production facilities around the world.

And they could just acquire an exchange or two

Hong Kong Exchanges' Bid For LME Will Give China More Power In Global Commodity Trading
http://www.forbes.com/sites/afontevecchia/2012/06/19/how-china-is-covertly-taking-control-of-the-global-gold-market/
JLM

Activity: 164

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 05:44:04 PM

I´m from and live in Argentina.
BTC grow in last year or year and half.
Before that point, don´t exist.

We can´t make big transactions, because be can´t mine enough because equipment is costfull and tooooo far away.

Check last time client dowload or transaction in last months.

Oh, i forgot something.
There is a tradition here. Many (maybe too much) transactions (by bank, BTC or whatever) are make from outside Argentina.
That´s because we always are trying to keep our saves in differents places... to save it from seizes or whatever.

The best thing i cuold suggest you is come here and check it.

1Hyawq17jkzfpunPC6tTikpgMGSsekd98z
CoinsForTech

Activity: 698
Merit: 500

5% Bitcoin Discount - All Orders

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2013, 11:54:39 PM

Argentina is our fourth largest source of traffic. Currently sitting behind North America, Canada and the UK. 

vokain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2013, 01:19:20 AM

Just join us already Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: