Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:22:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: mining with a gaming computer  (Read 122 times)
slickskin (OP)

Activity: 36
Merit: 5

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 06:40:24 PM

Before I build a rig, I'm thinking of beginning mining with simply using the single card on a gaming computer.

If I had to choose would I be better off with an AMD RX 580 4GB or a Nvidia GTX 1060 3GB

I hear that AMD are slightly more efficient at mining but are more prone to overheating which isn't good.

Also, could I still use the computer for light tasks like talking to people on facebook or internet surfing while mining?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AngelSky

Activity: 1008
Merit: 537

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 06:49:02 PM

Before I build a rig, I'm thinking of beginning mining with simply using the single card on a gaming computer.

If I had to choose would I be better off with an AMD FX 580 4GB or a Nvidia GTX 1060 3GB

I hear that AMD are slightly more efficient at mining but are more prone to overheating which isn't good.

Also, could I still use the computer for light tasks like talking to people on facebook or internet surfing while mining?

I think you mean to say about the RX 580 card. This is one of the best to choose for altcoin mining with the GPU rig. If you want to mine with your computer means also it will work but the profit expectation will not fulfilled like a rig you are using to mine. Currently I am mining with the 5 RX 470 cards for ethereum. It is giving me around 350 USD per month including electricity charge. So choose the right rig set up if you want to be involved in the mining platform.
slickskin (OP)

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 06:52:10 PM

If I had to choose would I be better off with an AMD FX 580 4GB or a Nvidia GTX 1060 3GB

I think you mean to say about the RX 580 card. This is one of the best to choose for altcoin mining with the GPU rig. If you want to mine with your computer means also it will work but the profit expectation will not fulfilled like a rig you are using to mine. Currently I am mining with the 5 RX 470 cards for ethereum. It is giving me around 350 USD per month including electricity charge. So choose the right rig set up if you want to be involved in the mining platform.

Yes I did mean to say RX thanks. I guess I'm just nervous about going all in just yet as I never have mined before and I want a new desktop computer anyway, so I figured that would be a good place to start.
drunkenone

Activity: 48
Merit: 1

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 07:25:51 PM

If I had to choose would I be better off with an AMD RX 580 4GB or a Nvidia GTX 1060 3GB

You should have no problem using the computer for light tasks, I do the same on my desktop while mining.
slickskin (OP)

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 07:37:28 PM

You should have no problem using the computer for light tasks, I do the same on my desktop while mining.

Awesome! Can I keep it on mining at night while I sleep?
fapar

Activity: 1414
Merit: 267

Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 08:00:21 PM

Of course you can! And if the day in the Claymore to stop mining it is also possible to watch films and play games, and then again to start mining.

💀|.
   ▄▄▄▄█▄▄              ▄▄█▀▀  ▄▄▄▄▄█      ▄▄    ▄█▄
  ▀▀▀████████▄  ▄██    ███▀ ▄████▀▀▀     ▄███   ▄███
    ███▀▄▄███▀ ███▀   ███▀  ▀█████▄     ▄███   ████▄
  ▄███████▀   ███   ▄███       ▀▀████▄▄███████████▀
▀▀███▀▀███    ███ ▄████       ▄▄████▀▀████   ▄███
 ██▀    ▀██▄  ██████▀▀   ▄▄█████▀▀   ███▀   ▄██▀
          ▀▀█  ▀▀▀▀ ▄██████▀▀       ███▀    █▀
                                      ▀
.PLAY2EARN.RUNNER.GAME.
||VIRAL
REF.SYSTEM
GAME
|
████████████████████████████
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
slickskin (OP)

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 08:14:17 PM

Of course you can! And if the day in the Claymore to stop mining it is also possible to watch films and play games, and then again to start mining.

Nice, so I'll probably start with Etherium since that's booming right now but do you guys recommend any other alt currencies that will work on an RX580 as well?
drunkenone

Activity: 48
Merit: 1

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 08:41:49 PM

Nice, so I'll probably start with Etherium since that's booming right now but do you guys recommend any other alt currencies that will work on an RX580 as well?
A 580 should work with basically anything. but ethhash and cryptoknight are probably the most profitable algorithms. AMD cards aren't the best at equihash.

Check out whattomine.com and plug in your card, it will tell you what is most profitable to mine currently, over the last 24h, last week, etc based on profitability, difficulty, and power usage. Eth might not always be the best ethhash coin to mine.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: