Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:52:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining Zcash to Ledger Nano S  (Read 261 times)
ambien22 (OP)

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 03:07:28 AM

I've been mining with a single GPU and having the pool payout to my "t" address for Zcash to my Ledger Nano S. I wanted to try and do a test payout and convert my Zcash to BTC then BTC to USD then withdraw to my bank account.

However, when trying to send my Zcash from my ledger nano s i am getting the following error "Sending failed - An error occurred" I read some old posts saying that the ledger nano s can freeze up funds if small amounts are sent to the wallet. I am curious if this is still a known issue or maybe the blockchain/server is just tied up?

Anyone have similar issues or can shed some light on this?

I'd hate to get my 1070ti rig up and running to have my funds frozen in place.

Thanks, Huh

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
0xcosmos

Activity: 585
Merit: 110

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 05:43:53 PM

do not try to send all the funds at once
try to send 95 percent because some portion of coins will be used as transaction fees
i faced the same error with ethereum yesterday
Moortimer

Activity: 7

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 07:31:04 PM

1. at the moment they have some sync issues with the wallet

https://ledger.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005165189-What-if-the-synchronisation-lasts-too-long-

2. check their FAQ about small amounts:

https://ledger.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005198485-Hardware-wallets-FAQ

Can I use a hardware wallet as a direct payout from a mining pool or a faucet?

It is not recommended to receive small payments (also called dust payments) on a hardware wallet. This kind of incoming payments are typical of mining pools or faucets.

Set the payment threshold at a higher level (for instance 0.05 BTC), or use a temporary software based wallet which you'll empty every 0.05 BTC.

The reason is that the chip must sign all inputs when you want to make an outgoing transaction. Imagine that you have received 1,000 payments of 0.001 BTC. If you want to make a payment of 1 BTC then the chip will have to construct a transaction of 1,000 inputs and sign 1,000 times. Not only it will take a few hours, but you have risks that it will not manage to do it (the chip may get too hot and fault some computation etc).

If you are already in this case, the best is to restore your 24 words seed on Mycelium and empty your wallet (and stop receiving dust payments).
ambien22 (OP)

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 07:36:34 PM

https://ledger.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005165189-What-if-the-synchronisation-lasts-too-long-

It is not recommended to receive small payments (also called dust payments) on a hardware wallet. This kind of incoming payments are typical of mining pools or faucets.

Set the payment threshold at a higher level (for instance 0.05 BTC), or use a temporary software based wallet which you'll empty every 0.05 BTC.

The reason is that the chip must sign all inputs when you want to make an outgoing transaction. Imagine that you have received 1,000 payments of 0.001 BTC. If you want to make a payment of 1 BTC then the chip will have to construct a transaction of 1,000 inputs and sign 1,000 times. Not only it will take a few hours, but you have risks that it will not manage to do it (the chip may get too hot and fault some computation etc).

If you are already in this case, the best is to restore your 24 words seed on Mycelium and empty your wallet (and stop receiving dust payments).

Interesting, what would be considered a non-dust payment for Zcash I wonder. I'm currently getting paid every 0.01 which I feel like isn't too terrible.

I'm thinking it's just a sync issue.

Any Zcash miners have any input?
Moortimer

Activity: 7

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 10:07:29 PM

Interesting, what would be considered a non-dust payment for Zcash I wonder. I'm currently getting paid every 0.01 which I feel like isn't too terrible.

I've got my 2 transactions sorted now, that were stuck for some 20h. Guess you have the same issue.
Got my Flypool set to 0,05 zec, mining directly to Nano S. Only used Nano for few days, so others may have some better advice here.
1070TIs rock!
ambien22 (OP)

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 10:55:02 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'll try exporting some more coins soon and let you know. I reached out to customer service and they said it was synching issues they were working on resolving.

We shall see.
ambien22 (OP)

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 01:46:09 AM

[SOLVED] It appears that Ledger customer support was correct and they were just having syncing issues. I've successfully sent some Zec with ZERO issues!
flip4flop

Activity: 378
Merit: 135

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 02:12:56 AM

Don't do it.  I was mining to my Trezor at .001 and getting payments every 6 hours.  After a few days, I logged into my Trezor and it warned me that what I was doing could cause it to slow down. I have since changed my mining payout to go to Zcash4Win wallet and when I accumulate .5 Zcash I consider moving it over or trading.

ambien22 (OP)

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 02:16:14 AM

Thanks for the reply! I'm definitely going to bump up the amount before payout to avoid this "glitch" if that is what you want to call it.

As of right now everything is working smooth.

I have 3 of my 1070ti's mining but 3 of my 6 risers were DoA. So now I am out profits for a while, lesson learned. Once I get all 6 cards online I will be altering payout.
flip4flop

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 02:19:56 AM

Oh it will work with no issue, its when you try to send something back out of that hardware wallet is when you will feel the pain and possibly have an issue.  It took almost 9 minutes for my trezor to send my Zcash after a week of .002 payments.  Multiply that by a few months or a year and who knows.
ambien22 (OP)

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 02:23:23 AM

Oh it will work with no issue, its when you try to send something back out of that hardware wallet is when you will feel the pain and possibly have an issue.  It took almost 9 minutes for my trezor to send my Zcash after a week of .002 payments.  Multiply that by a few months or a year and who knows.

Zcash4Win can accept small payments with no issues?
flip4flop

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 02:42:21 AM

Yup, most online wallets you will have no issue with because they dont have storage limits.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: