Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 05:07:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The AMERICAN DREAM film, animated, on youtube  (Read 8889 times)
Stephen Gornick (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 09, 2011, 05:13:51 PM

Thanks.  I fixed the link in the first post with another source to it:
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j69Ap4lndl0

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hugolp
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol

View Profile
January 10, 2011, 04:43:11 PM

Can you provide some historial & economical context ? "Was horrible" doesn't say much.

There has been a long time since I saw the movie but let me give you a quick list (if you are really interested in some area I can dig up and check some reliable sources about some specific period so you can take your own conclussions):

- Several of the quotes he uses on the film I found to be undocumented and dubious, f.e: Widrow Wilson saying at the end of his career that he regrets creating the Fed. It seems he never really felt sorry about it..

- During the Lincoln era he seems to imply that he was killed by the bankers because he wanted to keep printing and bankers did not want to. The reality is that the greenback was hyperinflating and the only way to avoid it was to stop printing it. Also, Lincoln approved a banking act at the end of the war that centralized the credit in the banks of New York, so bankers were happy about him.

- Then he talks about the silver thing like if it was a popular movement, when in reality it started as a industrialist thing. Actually all that part is horribly explained, and he talks about it like if it was a big crisis and then suddenly after some few years the USA has become a industrialized nation. It does not make sense, because it did not happen that way.

Etc...

As I said, if you are interested in some specific period I could look for some references so you can read and make your own opinion.

▄████████▄
               ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
              ██▀
             ███
▄▄▄▄▄       ███
██████     ███
    ▀██▄  ▄██
     ▀██▄▄██▀
       ████▀
        ▀█▀
The Radix DeFi Protocol is
R A D I X

███████████████████████████████████

The Decentralized

Finance Protocol
Scalable
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██                   ██
██                   ██
████████████████     ██
██            ██     ██
██            ██     ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██     ██
██▀▀▀▀██      ██     ██
██    ██      ██     
██    ██      ██
███████████████████████

███
Secure
      ▄▄▄▄▄
    █████████
   ██▀     ▀██
  ███       ███

▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██    ███████████

███
Community Driven
      ▄█   ▄▄
      ██ ██████▄▄
      ▀▀▄█▀   ▀▀██▄
     ▄▄ ██       ▀███▄▄██
    ██ ██▀          ▀▀██▀
    ██ ██▄            ██
   ██ ██████▄▄       ██▀
  ▄██       ▀██▄     ██
  ██▀         ▀███▄▄██▀
 ▄██             ▀▀▀▀
 ██▀
▄██
▄▄
██
███▄
▀███▄
 ▀███▄
  ▀████
    ████
     ████▄
      ▀███▄
       ▀███▄
        ▀████
          ███
           ██
           ▀▀

███
Radix is using our significant technology
innovations to be the first layer 1 protocol
specifically built to serve the rapidly growing DeFi.
Radix is the future of DeFi
█████████████████████████████████████

▄▄█████
  ▄████▀▀▀
  █████
█████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
  ████
  ████
  ████

Facebook

███

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀

Telegram

███

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

Twitter

██████

...Get Tokens...
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 16, 2011, 12:54:33 PM

I wanted to send the people from the movie some bitcoins, they only accept paypal.
They had never heard of bitcoin... Smiley

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
BTCsaavy

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2011, 11:50:14 PM

I wanted to thank you for bringing this movie to my attention.  It was definitely amusing and fun to watch with the pop culture references.  I see some facts/quotes are distorted and there is some conjecture but nothing more than any other documentary style movie out there.  It helps them prove a point I guess.  Thanks again.
Stephen Gornick (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 14, 2011, 04:39:08 PM

I wanted to send the people from the movie some bitcoins, they only accept paypal.
They had never heard of bitcoin... Smiley

The DVD is being auctioned on BiddingPond:
  http://www.biddingpond.com/item.php?id=398

The filmmaker, Tad Lumpkin, was interviewed:

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 16, 2011, 11:55:26 AM

Very entertaining, but I can only imagine how confusing this video is to the average person.  Almost every concept introduced could use some fleshing out.  Like the guy keeps asking "what does this have to do with my house?"  There's no real explanation of interest rate manipulation, inflation and deflation, the "business" cycle.  No mention of the reason for the Fed's quasi-independence (government would print money even faster than banks) and not enough mention of it's special government-like powers.  It's a difficult task to successfully marry the "evil banker" archetype with a belief in market anarchism since many people view evil bankers as a free-market phenomenon.

It's really well done, though, and would be a good candidate for a longer film.  That interview is really good too.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
Distribution

Activity: 711
Merit: 500

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
March 16, 2011, 03:34:41 PM

This is a very good video. They played it at the liberty forum at CPAC, and I was a big fan.
royalecraig

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2011, 06:05:03 PM

I got that linked on my webpage on the money scam, plus a few others.
You could find em on youtube but I pulled em together.
There is a good documentary called The Money Masters' that's well worth a watch.
Both  Lincoln and Kennedy were assasinated and at least one other Pre because they dared to
print Debt free money.
Kennedt issued executive order 11110 ordering the US Treasury to begin issuing Silver Backed US Treasury Bills as opposed to Federal Reserve Notes issued by the PRIVATE Federal reserve AT INTEREST to the US Govt.
Five months later, kennedy was assasinated, coincidence ?

http://harveyalexander.weebly.com/themoneyscam.html
niemivh

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 08:53:10 PM

This film would have drawn me in about 10 years ago when I was a teenager who knew nothing of how things actually work and had no understanding of history.

Lots of misguided, inaccurate information here but also some good stuff.  Like a candy covered turd, it's only good until you bite into it.

Jefferson is a great person to go quote mine from as he was on both sides of many issues and was a wonderful writer.  He was also many other things, many of them very unpleasant although he was still a great man.  Showing him in front of everyone as some powerful orator is totally historically false.  He was a very poor public speaker and actually conducted much of his presidency through writing rather than face to face meetings and speeches.
That is a minor thing, but still annoying.
 Insinuating that Alexander Hamilton was an agent of the Rothschilds lacks any historical merit that isn't on some David Ickeian lizard-people site.  Insinuating that the 1st and 2nd banks of the United States were previous incarnations of the Federal Reserve is over simplifying the situation.  Ignoring the economic collapses that occurred after the disbanding of the 1st and 2nd banks of the United States is worth mentioning.  Author pretends that it was a golden age between Andrew Jackson's dismantling of the 2nd bank and the coming of the Federal Reserve totally dismissing things that happened between 1837 and 1913 as being "glorious".  The economic meltdown under Martin Van Buren after the bank was dissolved and AJ was out of office (Google the "Panic of 1837").  Remember the Civil War?  The Progressive Era, Robber Barons, sweat shop factories, the list goes on that this movie sweeps under the rug.

John Adams mentioned that it is much easier to tear down than build up (can't find the exact quote).  And that gets to the heart of the matter: what does this film-maker propose as a solution?  Kicking Hank Paulson into a pit?  That if the Fed is dissolved that paradise will somehow follow? 

Our present problem isn't that money is 'created out of thin air' but what is done with it.  It is loaned to zombie banks on Wall St. at virtually 0% interest that go gamble with it using derivatives and high-frequency trading algorithms or loan it to people at 23% interest.  None of this creates any products or new technology or research or infrastructure.  Just money making money. 

This film argues (loosely) for a gold standard without going into any detail.  There are many problems with a gold standard, but like the other details, this film doesn't go over them.

Overall this film riles people up using quotes you’ve already heard if you’ve ever watched Zeitgeist or any Alex Jones produced film.  And there is a lot in those films that is true, but like this one, there is a lot that is misleading or false or viewed from the lense of someone who believes in the idealistic Jeffersonian fantasies regarding what government can be.

I'll keep my politics out of your economics if you keep your economics out of my politics.

16LdMA6pCgq9ULrstHmiwwwbGe1BJQyDqr
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: