Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:13:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is doxxing private personas acceptable on these forums ?  (Read 1625 times)
Xian01 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 05:05:31 PM

More directed towards management of this site. As the subject asks, is it acceptable behavior on these forums to allow doxxing of private identities ? Specifically, people who have not made their first and last name or other identifying information available in a public posting.

I would even go further stating that posting of information on publicly known personas should be verboten, but the more concerning question is one of outing private identities as acceptable behavior.
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 05:09:21 PM

Your attempt to protect scammers has been noted and added to your personal file.
Xian01 (OP)
Legendary

Christian Antkow

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 05:15:36 PM

Your attempt to protect scammers everyone has been noted and added to your personal file.

FTFY.
btceic

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2013, 05:18:17 PM

how about removal of personal information after the fact, when asked!

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value
/dev/null

Activity: 308

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 05:23:22 PM

Make your identity public, don't give chance to anyone dox you lol.

btceic

Activity: 392

♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2013, 05:34:36 PM

Make your identity public, don't give chance to anyone dox you lol.

Thats not the point

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 05:38:52 PM

Hooray search function!  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=47626.0

I believe doxxing is allowed, never seen it written that it wasn't.  Plus that old post from theymos shows that he doesn't care about removing the info.
Xian01 (OP)
Legendary

Christian Antkow

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 06:05:37 PM

Hooray search function!  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=47626.0

I believe doxxing is allowed, never seen it written that it wasn't.  Plus that old post from theymos shows that he doesn't care about removing the info.

Oof. Very dangerous attitude to have IMO.

I'm not sure that I can be a part of any community that condones doxxing if this is an official management stance Sad

Perhaps it's time I find another hobby/community.
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 06:09:21 PM

I actually asked a question like this and got a pretty definate response from Theymos a while back. The consensus was that Doxing is allowed, because any information found via doxxing is fairly public info anyway that anyone could find with a basic search engine skills. It just means that someone took the time to compile the information together to get a profile of the person.
polrpaul

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Love the Bitcoin.

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2013, 06:13:54 PM

Thank you SaltySpitoon.

BTC.sx - Leveraged Bitcoin Trading. Simply use Bitcoin to take advantage of a rising or falling Bitcoin price.
greyhawk

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 06:14:50 PM

Well, for one doxxing is only the summarizing of publically available information. The information is out there. In fact you put it out there specifically for people to access. It's a bit like complaining that people can see your dingaling dangling when you dance in front of your uncurtained window naked.

Now if I went ahead and began rifling through your personal information that is only visible to you (for instance by taking over/entering your accounts) or a trusted third party, where I'm not the third party, this would be another matter indeed. For one it's a crime in virtually every jurisdiction and I'm sure would also be handled as such on the forums.

The same would apply if for instance you sent personal information (i.e. your passport) to a business partner and this partner would then release that information publically. This would be in breach of data protection laws virtually everywhere and I'm sure would be treated as such here.

Fake edit: Aaaaand Salty beat me on most of this.
r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 06:21:22 PM

I now have everyone in this thread's dox and you must all pay me 10 btc or i will do something... not sure what it is but if it scares you into sending me 10 btc, then that's what i'll do! you have 10 minutes.

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
greyhawk

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 06:22:53 PM

I now have everyone in this thread's dox

Do you now?  Wink

Kiss
r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 06:25:41 PM

Do you now?  Wink

Kiss

Yes Steven Grey Hawkings, i have your dox too

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
greyhawk

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 06:28:45 PM

Do you now?  Wink

Kiss

Yes Steven Grey Hawkings, i have your dox too

Damn you and your Russian hacker monkeys.  Angry
Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 08:11:26 PM

Hooray search function!  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=47626.0

I believe doxxing is allowed, never seen it written that it wasn't.  Plus that old post from theymos shows that he doesn't care about removing the info.

Oof. Very dangerous attitude to have IMO.

I'm not sure that I can be a part of any community that condones doxxing if this is an official management stance Sad

Perhaps it's time I find another hobby/community.

The net never forgets, such is the saying and it remains true.

Once information has been posted, it cannot be revoked. There's not much point in asking moderators to waste their time on trying the impossible. That would just push users to other services that keep the information up.
Xian01 (OP)
Legendary

Christian Antkow

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 08:49:00 PM

Once information has been posted, it cannot be revoked. There's not much point in asking moderators to waste their time on trying the impossible. That would just push users to other services that keep the information up.

I would humbly suggest that management take a cue from Reddit's "ban for doxxing" policies.

While I understand that once information has been posted it's near impossible to have it removed from all archives, the larger issue is management allowing such a culture to exist (where doxxing is allowed), and make no effort to be good shepherds of their community by trying to look after their flock.

"Just because someone posts dox doesn't mean it should stay up" is the argument I'm trying to make.

Thought Exercise: If all of the moderators personal information were to be posted, would that be acceptable or would that be deleted ?
greyhawk

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 08:52:36 PM

How exactly is a ban going to help?
Xian01 (OP)
Legendary

Christian Antkow

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 08:55:10 PM

By sending a message that doxxing is not acceptable behavior, will have the offending posts deleted, and the posters' account banned.
greyhawk

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 08:58:13 PM

By sending a message that doxxing is not acceptable behavior, will have the offending posts deleted, and the posters' account banned.

Aaaand then he's back a minute later, so?  Huh Bans are as unwieldy as they are ineffective as a punitive measure.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: