Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 08:55:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Lightning Network vs Bitcoin cash  (Read 1394 times)
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 09:06:34 PM

But such features could be found in many implementations other than LN.

And these could be layered on top of many coins - for example, Bitcoin Cash....not just Bitcoin.

I thought SegWit capability was a mandatory requirement for the Lightning Network?
Bitcoin Cash has not activated SegWit. Therefore I don´t think the Lightning Network
would be able to function on top of Bitcoin Cash.

Why would they deploy a solution like the LN anyway? Their whole narrative is based around
how on-chain scaling is the superior solution to scaling Bitcoin. If they would introduce a 2nd layer scaling solution
they would lose their main value proposition.

I am only pointing out that "for many blockchain based crypto currencies" additional layers may be added, such as "mesh network transaction systems of the LN variety."

Thus it is INCORRECT to debate merits of LN vs BCH. It does not matter that people are trying to impress you that you should debate it that way, or that it is a valid comparison. You might consider those to be political motivations and arguments. They are not valid arguments from computer science or database theory.

sAt0sHiFanClub

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Warning: Confrmed Gavinista

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2018, 07:24:36 PM

And these could be layered on top of many coins - for example, Bitcoin Cash....not just Bitcoin.

I thought SegWit capability was a mandatory requirement for the Lightning Network?
Bitcoin Cash has not activated SegWit. Therefore I don´t think the Lightning Network

Why would they deploy a solution like the LN anyway? Their whole narrative is based around
how on-chain scaling is the superior solution to scaling Bitcoin. If they would introduce a 2nd layer scaling solution

LN only requires tx malleability fixes from segwit. There are other ways to skin that particular cat.

As regards BCH deploying an LN like solution - why not? As long as users are given the choice to continue to use Layer1 as before, then L2 solutions can be developed that offer real value propositions to users and their intended use cases.

What BCH wont do is force the issue by making the L1 solution unusable.

We must make money worse as a commodity if we wish to make it better as a medium of exchange
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 11:29:05 PM

LN only requires tx malleability fixes from segwit. There are other ways to skin that particular cat.

As regards BCH deploying an LN like solution - why not? As long as users are given the choice to continue to use Layer1 as before, then L2 solutions can be developed that offer real value propositions to users and their intended use cases.

What BCH wont do is force the issue by making the L1 solution unusable.
Right. I can't buy arguments like "Their whole narrative is ..." or "they would lose their main value proposition."

Things are moving fast and will be moving faster (except transactions trying to get into the blockchain). Narratives can change overnight to fit the issues of the day.
yojodojo21

Activity: 420
Merit: 171

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 02:44:28 AM

Internet has so many lies reddit have articles about crypto currency that is not reliable and trustworthy, (not all). every lesson done is applied when it is experienced you don't have to outline the capabilities of each coin especially in it's security what you have to do is to explore and try. There are so many statements tackled about your TOPIC above my post, so all in all it's a matter of reading and decision.
hv_
Legendary

Activity: 2520
Merit: 1055

Clean Code and Scale

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2018, 08:50:36 AM

Here's some techy stuff about LN

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=178336.msg27684676#msg27684676

Carpe diem  -  understand the White Paper and mine honest.
Fix real world issues: Check out b-vote.com
The simple way is the genius way - Satoshi's Rules: humana veris _
Samarkand

Activity: 658
Merit: 282

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 10:38:00 PM

... Narratives can change overnight to fit the issues of the day.

I disagree with that notion.

Let´s take the example of Bitcoin. The value of a Bitcoin would crater if somehow the narrative
of a distributed, immutable ledger with a 21 million Bitcoin hard cap was changed to something different.

This happened with several altcoins. They had a certain use case and after seeing the success
of the privacy-focused coins like Monero or ZCash they suddenly pivoted their narrative to
also fit in this category.

I concede that it may be a feature of these open-source projects that they can change the direction
if new promising technologies emerge, but keeping an existing narrative also has its advantages.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  

Jump to: