Bitcoin Forum
July 04, 2024, 12:28:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1st mining rig almost working, can't get it to recognize GPU/load GPU drivers  (Read 104 times)
IMS2017 (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 1

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 08:02:51 AM

Hello Everyone,

I am still trying to get my first mining rig off the ground but have run into a new problem.

I moved my hard drive and GPU (an XFX R9 390 8GB) to a newer PC tower (an HP Pavilion P7-1000) because it has a stronger 500 watt Power Supply Unit, more space and a newer mother board than the tower I was using before. Windows 7 is the OS.

I plugged the GPU in and turned the tower on (the PSU in the old tower didn't have enough power to turn the tower on when the GPU was plugged in).

The GPU has power, it's fans spin when the tower comes on. The problem is I cannot get the tower to recognize the GPU.

I have tried disabling the Intel GPU through device manager but there have been no changes. I do not see the R9 390 in the device manager. There is no option in the BIOS to switch GPUs.

I have tried to install 3 different HP drivers for AMD GPUs and after each attempt each driver says "your system does not meet the minimum requirements".

I also tried to install drivers from AMD's website but received AMD Error 175 – AMD Installer Cannot Continue Due to Unsupported AMD Graphics Hardware. I checked the AMD page for this error and the R9 390 is not one of the old cards they list as not supported by the AMD installer which only works on "GCN based" GPUs, though I did try the alternative drivers it suggests with the same results.

What could be causing this issue? Could this be a RAM problem? (I currently have 2GB of RAM in the tower) Could it be a motherboard issue? I downloaded a driver update for my tower's motherboard BIOS but didn't want to install it yet because I know that messing with MB drivers can cause big issues if you don't know what you are doing.

I am really lost here and could use any and all help anyone can offer me. Please weigh in if you have any thoughts on my problem.
0xcosmos

Activity: 585
Merit: 110

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 05:40:43 PM

are you using a riser with your gpu or the gpu is connected to the motherboard itself?
i think so there is something to do with bios settings to recognize the card
IMS2017 (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 1

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 07:08:30 PM

Hi 0xcosmos,

No riser here, the GPU is plugged directly into the PCIE slot on the mother board.

xxcsu

Activity: 1498
Merit: 597

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2017, 02:52:36 AM

2gb ram can be a problem ...
your power supply also can be a problem , if its not a good quality ...
R9 390 has a TDP of 275 watts, under worse scenario will draw a little bit over 300W of power without proper underclocking , undervolting ...
did you connected both 6-Pin / 8-Pin power connections to the psu from different rails ?, if i rememebr right those cards have a 6-Pin / 8-Pin power connector ...

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
If you like the answer you got for your question from any member ,
If you find any post useful , informative use the +Merit button.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: