Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:44:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Penetrating Asia  (Read 1563 times)
kiba (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
January 05, 2011, 05:37:44 AM

The Asian nations of the world have resisted adoption of bitcoin far more readily than the continental US and Europe. Bitcoin is basically a Western civilzation's currency. We need to fix this problem!

What we have so far:

1. A Japanese yen exchange. Western expats living in both Japan and South Korea.

2. A Chinese user within mainland China.

3. Some translations

What we don't have:

1. Where are the South Korean won and Chinese yuan to bitcoin exchange market?

2. No significant Asian presence. (That exclude westerners of Asian descent like me)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ColdHardMetal

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 05, 2011, 05:51:53 AM

I'm intending to get the Bitcoin.org page into Korean but my translator just went to Thailand on vacation for a month. She just graduated from a translation program at university so she should be able to do a decent job. I don't speak Korean so I definitely need her involved. My girlfriend is Korean but her tech knowledge is pretty minimalist and it hasn't really worked out when I've tried to get her help with stuff before lol.

I'm thinking about going the exchange route as well since she can help me with the language there also. However I need to line up some cheap hosting since I don't currently have a server anywhere and I doubt there would be enough revenue from a KRW to BTC exchange to pay for one anytime soon. There was a Marketplace thread from a guy offering super affordable hosting but he hasn't been back to the forum since I PMd him 3-4 days ago. Lastly my BTC inventory is laughable at best so I would need to line up a better supply in order to get something for people to buy to get into the market.

None of those are insurmountable obstacles but that's the situation as is.

Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2011, 07:16:51 AM

For the Yuan exchange market it's already, kind of available now but it's very informal, and I don't think all that useful.

Basically I have available Yuan500 cash (in a sock), this is worth about US$60 and I will sell for BTC2.5 for one Chinese Yuan.

I will then get a notepad and make a note that the amount of yuan you have purchased belongs to you. My only problem is getting the yuan to you at some point, unless you already have a Chinese bank account it would be difficult to transfer (probably impossible, and no use). It would be a kind of bank account in a way.

One thing that can be done is to use the currency to buy things in China (or have me/someone else) buy them for you and ship them to you(I am going to talk to someone about this on Sunday). Certain items such as bicycles are so cheap here that even with shipping costs it works out at a fraction of the cost of locally bought ones. The best value are those commuter, folding bikes.

I am trying to get one of my students to do the translation of the wiki so they can earn some BTC, they want to use a VPN service (I am pushing mullvad) to get unrestricted access to the net.

I think one of the things that you (as westerners) can offer to those in China at least (maybe not so much Korea) is information services. Access to private Tor bridges, vpn services and website hosting etc. Things that are all heavily regulated here (it is illegal to run a website in China without government permission, and you must hire some approved people to censor it).

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: