Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 06:12:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Prices Follow Dollar with 0.89 Correlation  (Read 2769 times)
bitfair

Activity: 362
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 02:57:31 AM

Over what time period??

I don't think this correlation is valid - maybe for a very short time period. My own long-term correlation studies (utilizing ALL the data) don't match up with this.

It seems to be a textbook example of what econometricists call "spurious regression", and occurs surprisingly often with timeseries data. [Check the Durbin-Watson statistic to be sure!]

I.e. the high correlation is probably meaningless and there is no relationship.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BrightAnarchist
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 853
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 02:57:51 AM

Over what time period??

I don't think this correlation is valid - maybe for a very short time period. My own long-term correlation studies (utilizing ALL the data) don't match up with this.

Just the last 50 days.

OK, that makes more sense. 50 days is pretty much random IMO. The study I ran shows a strong correlation with the S&P, but that was over all the data. The dollar more or less moves inversely to the S&P, hence my surprise at the OP.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 01:42:20 PM

There seems to be quite a bit of denial about this. Something like: "Bitcoin couldn't possibly follow a doomed fiat currency."

It's not that bitcoin is following the value of the dollar so much as it's following the dollar's rhythm.

keep in mind the USD Index used here just measure USD in terms of other fiat currencies. If value is lost on all fiat currencies evenly, the USDX won't move.

If you want to talk about the "value of the Dollar", you'd have to look at it in terms of hard assets, maybe stocks and the like. Possibly BTC in the future. One can clearly see (overlooking the more recent move) that the USD is going down down down.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 10:52:58 PM

One can clearly see that the USD is has been going down down down.

FTFY

I wouldn't overlook the recent moves that are occurring simultaneously in all major markets.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 11:06:17 PM

FTFY

I wouldn't overlook the recent moves that are occurring simultaneously in all major markets.

when everything measured in something moves unisono, maybe it's the something that actually moves.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 11:16:43 PM

FTFY

when everything measured in something moves unisono, maybe it's the something that actually moves.

Right.  Everything priced in fiat has been falling, thus deflation.  Yes, we have had quite some inflation in the recent past, but I wouldn't discount the potential tops forming.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
jago25_98

Activity: 900
Merit: 1000

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2013, 01:38:09 AM

I think an important test of Bitcoin is will people outside the USA buy Bitcoin to give a support level if the USA was to drop massively thus leading desperate people to cash in their BTC savings? - how to analyse that other than simply looking at country distribution?

If we look at:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Bitcoin_Ladder#Top_countries

we see a few BRIC countries...
 key ones for me are Poland & Russia. Brazil seems a bit reliant on USA trade? - as do the other big ones?

So it's difficult to say what if would take for BTC to decouple to the dollar. One thing's for sure - we need to get Bitcoin spread more multilaterally & economically in order to further secure it. Growing use in USA antagonistic countries such as Venezuela & Russia is bullish. states.

edit: This presupposes a drop in the USA dollar and stocks. While many have been going on that the USA is about to fall for ages you have to remember that it is the global ruler and if times get tough cash tends to flow to the core, hence the USD bull run.

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
nrd525
Legendary

Activity: 1867
Merit: 1023

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 01:46:49 AM

You can get all sorts of correlations if you shift things around 1,2 or 3 days forward or backwards for short time periods.

Correlation is not causation.

A famous example is that some economists used to think that the solar cycle heavily influenced the economic cycle =)

Digital Gold for Gamblers and True Believers
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: