Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 02:52:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Prices Follow Dollar with 0.89 Correlation  (Read 2771 times)
abdullahadam (OP)

Activity: 285
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 05:28:57 PM

http://www.thegenesisblock.com/want-to-know-where-btc-prices-are-going-watch-usd/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Abandon

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 05:41:37 PM
Last edit: June 21, 2013, 05:51:52 PM by Abandon

https://www.tradingview.com/e/dqFoObff/#

This will change as bitcoin becomes more globally adopted.
Abandon

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 06:13:32 PM

There seems to be quite a bit of denial about this. Something like: "Bitcoin couldn't possibly follow a doomed fiat currency."

It's not that bitcoin is following the value of the dollar so much as it's following the dollar's rhythm.
FiatKiller

Activity: 378

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 06:22:53 PM

If this is the case, then we are screwed as many think the dollar is in imminent danger of at least a temporary huge drop in the near future. I'm not holding onto more than $1K worth of BTC till the dust settles. Great time to buy more silver anyways.  ;-)

LTC: LdxgJQLUdr8hZ79BV5AYbxkBUdaXctXAPi
MoonCoin Gambling: https://coin-horse.com/MON/
Birdy

Activity: 364

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 06:57:46 PM

If this is the case, then we are screwed as many think the dollar is in imminent danger of at least a temporary huge drop in the near future. I'm not holding onto more than $1K worth of BTC till the dust settles. Great time to buy more silver anyways.  ;-)

My guess is:
Atm the dollar is still trusted, so if
people want to get away from other assets -> go in $ and Btc

But if the trust in dollars disappears, Bitcoin is likely to be freed from this correlation.

Quote from: Abandon's sig
Trust the birds
Roll Eyes
FiatKiller

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 07:19:03 PM

USD is rapidly losing trust. Other countries are switching to other things as reserve currencies like Canadian, Australian, and Chinese.
They can read how all we do is print more, making it more and more worthless i.e. merely fiat. Some think Ft Knox is actually empty and filled with gold-plated lead bricks.

semaforo

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 07:25:35 PM

All this means is that 90% of the trades happening are by speculators who are buying and selling dollars with btc. When the dollar starts crashing there will more than likely be a flight from USD to BTC which would completely defy this trend.
not.you
Legendary

Activity: 1726
Merit: 1018

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 07:32:30 PM

Let's see, in the last 6 months bitcoin went from less than $20 to over $250 and then crashed back to around $60. Since then it has oscillated between the $160 to $80 range and most recently has kind of been bouncing around in the low $100 range for a few months.

In 6 months the dollar has...well, it did some stuff too.  But these last 7 weeks, look out!  Very high degree of correlation there.
phoenix1

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 07:34:03 PM

It's based on 50 days of data (since 1st May) ... I wouldn't want to be betting too much on that  Roll Eyes

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves"  - Confucius (China 551BC-479 BC)
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 09:38:07 PM

If this is the case, then we are screwed as many think the dollar is in imminent danger of at least a temporary huge drop in the near future. I'm not holding onto more than $1K worth of BTC till the dust settles. Great time to buy more silver anyways.  ;-)

And the smart money is on deflation in the short term.  What the many think is thankfully not how things play out.  The many are usually woefully uninformed when it comes to economic theory and data.

Also, IMO, this correlation only holds if you look at markets since the May top in stocks and will cease to exist when stocks find a bottom.  During deflation, cash is king, and the market is affirming that it views bitcoin as cash.  Gold not so much because it has major liquidity problems.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Malawi

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

One bitcoin to rule them all!

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 09:41:15 PM

It's based on 50 days of data (since 1st May) ... I wouldn't want to be betting too much on that  Roll Eyes

^^This^^

You can pick any currency, stock or whatever and find periods where it correlates with BTC or any other commodity.

BitCoin is NOT a pyramid - it's a pagoda.
Abandon

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 10:30:19 PM

^^This^^

You can pick any currency, stock or whatever and find periods where it correlates with BTC or any other commodity.

The reason why it correlates so much with USD and not something like gold is because USD is what the price is based heavily on. Other currencies get converted to USD to make trades. It's a bit more complicated than this, but it's not superstition.
notme
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 10:58:20 PM

^^This^^

The reason why it correlates so much with USD and not something like gold is because USD is what the price is based heavily on. Other currencies get converted to USD to make trades. It's a bit more complicated than this, but it's not superstition.

If the correlation was based on USD being the other half of the trade, the correlation would be inverse.

FiatKiller

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 11:50:09 PM

And the smart money is on deflation in the short term.  What the many think is thankfully not how things play out.  The many are usually woefully uninformed when it comes to economic theory and data.

Also, IMO, this correlation only holds if you look at markets since the May top in stocks and will cease to exist when stocks find a bottom.  During deflation, cash is king, and the market is affirming that it views bitcoin as cash.  Gold not so much because it has major liquidity problems.

And how does gold have a liquidity problem? Any coin dealer will buy it or peeps on Ebay, etc.

BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 01:48:45 AM

And how does gold have a liquidity problem? Any coin dealer will buy it or peeps on Ebay, etc.

Yeah, for 25% below spot  Tongue
notme
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 02:36:57 AM

Yeah, for 25% below spot  Tongue

And you can't easily buy consumer goods or assets with gold.  Transaction (are you sure it is gold?) and transportation costs are too high.  Gold is also not easily divisible (takes a lot of energy).  Unless you mean paper gold, and then there are counterparty risks.

I'll stick to bitcoin.

FiatKiller

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 02:45:54 AM

It's the only legal way to get fiat out of bitcoin. I prefer silver much more because of the divisibility mentioned, although there is a gold "card" that is segmented and can be broken into 5 gram pieces I think it is. I prefer the coins because any yahoo can read it and see that it says one ounce and believe it a lot more than brick of the stuff.

notme
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 02:49:08 AM

It's the only legal way to get fiat out of bitcoin.

Huh?

BrightAnarchist
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 853
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 02:51:02 AM

Over what time period??

I don't think this correlation is valid - maybe for a very short time period. My own long-term correlation studies (utilizing ALL the data) don't match up with this.
notme
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 02:51:51 AM

Over what time period??

I don't think this correlation is valid - maybe for a very short time period. My own long-term correlation studies (utilizing ALL the data) don't match up with this.

Just the last 50 days.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: