Bitcoin Forum
July 11, 2024, 02:50:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Coinbase no longer Trusthworthy?  (Read 134 times)
CyberR. (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 11:49:28 AM

I saw a few posts recently about mass departure from Coinbase. What's wrong?

Ma used to tell me never keep your money in Exchange Tongue Should I transfer all my crypto from Coinbase?
Dolarin

Activity: 294

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 11:56:35 AM

In my opinion keeping money on any exchange is a mistake. Coinbase is not an exception.
MadGamer
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1031

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 12:02:42 PM

The recent posts are because of Coinbase listing BCH and basically attacking bitcoin for not updating to SegWit while It's a priority, U.S customers are switching to Gemini but overall, as said above, you should never store your bitcoins in an exchange for long term.
wadili89
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 12:10:47 PM

No it's actually "Trustworthy" the right word to describe them will be useless headache their main problem is they ask to much and have so many so called rules asking people id and closing the wallets are a normal thing for them, i personally don't use them anymore.

Xavofat

Activity: 938
Merit: 559

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 12:11:18 PM

If you have fiat money in there, it's pretty safe since they're FDIC insured.

If you have a crypto balance, it's typically a good idea to keep it in your own wallet, provided that you can secure it properly.  Crypto exchanges in general have a very poor record for security and often for foul play by the exchange itself.

I wouldn't say that Coinbase is necessarily worse than most other exchanges but it's better to be safe than sorry.
icanscript

Activity: 686
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 12:13:59 PM

The bitcoin is attacked on all fronts.
HODL bitcoin!
CyberR. (OP)

Activity: 154

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 03:54:13 PM

The recent posts are because of Coinbase listing BCH and basically attacking bitcoin for not updating to SegWit while It's a priority, U.S customers are switching to Gemini but overall, as said above, you should never store your bitcoins in an exchange for long term.

What's the Problem with Coinbase listing BCH? Why are people losing their cool over this matter?

If you have fiat money in there, it's pretty safe since they're FDIC insured.

If you have a crypto balance, it's typically a good idea to keep it in your own wallet, provided that you can secure it properly.  Crypto exchanges in general have a very poor record for security and often for foul play by the exchange itself.

I wouldn't say that Coinbase is necessarily worse than most other exchanges but it's better to be safe than sorry.

I don't prefer storing bitcoins in Bitcoin Qt due to some reasons, What about blockchain then?
Is it safer to store my bitcoins in Blockchain Wallet?
Catmony

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 03:57:20 PM

Not only coinbase keeping your coins in exchange or any web wallets is full of risk specially during huge pump and dump on the price like right now. Either exchange/wallet can get hacked or it will unable to handle all the heavy traffics they will get during such high price volatility.

Keep them in either hardware wallet or paper wallet.
Xavofat

Activity: 938
Merit: 559

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 11:24:06 AM

What's the Problem with Coinbase listing BCH? Why are people losing their cool over this matter?
They feel that Coinbase implementing SegWit would be a better use of their time.  Personally though, I think that with BCH being so valuable now, they do have an obligation to their customers to at least help them withdraw.
I don't prefer storing bitcoins in Bitcoin Qt due to some reasons, What about blockchain then?
Is it safer to store my bitcoins in Blockchain Wallet?
Blockchain.info do not store your private keys, and you can export a recovery seed to get your wallet back if they close down.

It's not ideal, because a person accessing your account could access your coins.  You could always go for a hardware wallet (if money isn't too much of a problem for you) or indeed go for a paper wallet if you're holding long term.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: