Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 03:16:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: EU considers launching database of Bitcoin owners  (Read 231 times)
figmentofmyass
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 11:18:04 PM

Even if it is real it would take more than years to get it implemented, there are more than millions of people in the whole EU.

in the meantime, governmental agencies (EU or not) are probably already working with blockchain analysis companies to build their own databases. we may not be registering our bitcoin wallets yet, but they are definitely watching us. chainalysis scrapes the internet for data about the bitcoin network, and over time, connections to our identities can be made. it's time to get serious about privacy -- TOR, e2e encryption, mesh networks.....

There is something more radical coming soon. In the next meeting, the G20 will debate about Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies. Most of the dedate will be about what to do with cryptos, how to regulate, how to get free money collecting a tax. The majority doesn't consider Bitcoin as a (crypto) currency but as a speculative asset

i'm guessing some kind of joint effort will be made by western governments to scare people into paying taxes. that's the primary fear for now; i don't think they feel threatened with regard to fiat currency. these databases, combined with new laws like SB 1241 will probably be the result.

The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
PEG-TOKEN
Copper Member

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

peg-token.com

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2017, 11:27:37 PM

The answer is simple.

Stay away from centralized exchanges that are forced to take ID / Name / Address + your soul if they could.

You can still sell and buy bitcoin many ways without having to jump through the hoops of regulation.
The whole purpose of bitcoin was to avoid third party trust.
Get back to the roots p2p currency! Stay away from the large popular exchanges they will bring nothing but trouble and tax to bitcoin.

Whats next fees + tax on transactions..

| PEGTOKEN |  - https://peg-token.com - | Digital Asset Creation | BTC | ETH Cross-Chain Tokens
Tenderino

Activity: 336
Merit: 103

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 11:29:19 PM

When you buy and sell bitcoin at regulated bitcoin exchanges which have your identity, then you used it anyway not anonym.

MEPs will consider setting up a central hub of people who use the online exchanges where Bitcoin is bought and sold.

The check point is focused on exchanges within the EU and you still have the option to buy and sell at exchanges outside the EU or use local bitcoin.

This will have no affect for online gamblers using bitcoin as deposit and withdrawal method in connection with an anonymous account like available at Jetwin.
pinkflower

Activity: 868
Merit: 259

View Profile
December 24, 2017, 02:02:29 AM

Its useless and pointless if you ask me. The terrorists, the drug dealers, and all those criminals will start using a privacy coin anyhow.

Even if they have the name of a user, how can an EU law enforcer prove that an XMR or Zcash transaction made by that user is really his, or how can they find the transactions they are looking for in XMR or Zcash lol.

Maybe XMR, Zcash and Dash are the future.
AidenCasanova

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 24, 2017, 03:28:04 AM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2017/12/18/eu-considers-launching-database-bitcoin-owners-crack-criminals/

Is it the reason, why bitcoin price goes down? Or does it mean the end of one of main bitcoin's principles - anonymity?
actually i think, this holiday make price fall down
not this news
and also i'm 100% agree with this
I don't think this has something to do with the price.
But Bitcoin has lost the anonimity long time ago with new regulations for exchangers. To be able to trade there you have to register with your personal data according to anti money laundering and anti terrorism laws. So, your data are also available to law enforcement agencies if they ask exchangers for delivery. Today there are also other tecniques to identify the Bitcoin owner so full anonimity doesn't exist.
This database might be difficult to exist in the light of the new EU GDPR directive but we'll see.
if we make transaction in anonim coin such as monero XMR, Zcash and Dash etc, but when we want to change it into fiat we must follow the rule that exchanger make
and that's why full anonimity doesn't exist anymore
Its useless and pointless if you ask me. The terrorists, the drug dealers, and all those criminals will start using a privacy coin anyhow.

Even if they have the name of a user, how can an EU law enforcer prove that an XMR or Zcash transaction made by that user is really his, or how can they find the transactions they are looking for in XMR or Zcash lol.

Maybe XMR, Zcash and Dash are the future.
for now i can not denied that, but maybe others can

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: