Bitcoin Forum
July 23, 2018, 02:29:02 AM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.16.1  [Torrent]. (New!)

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question About Blockchain.Info Paper Wallet  (Read 1546 times)
btcd

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 12:46:40 AM

I use a blockchain.info online wallet to store my bitcoin. My understanding that if blockchain.info servers were ever to experience problems, I would be able to transfer my wallet to the Multibit client using the backup that is sent to me the last time I made a change to my wallet.

However, what if both blockchain.info and multibit servers are not functioning at once?
Blockchain.info appears to provide me with the ability to create a paper wallet version of my blockchain.info wallet.

If I have a paper wallet copy of my blockchain.info wallet -- and both multibit and blockchain.info servers were down -- would I have everything I need to transfer my bitcoins to the Bitcoin QT Wallet?
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
stevenh512

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 09:55:29 AM

If I'm not mistaken (I've never used that feature), a blockchain.info paper wallet is essentially the same thing as a bitaddress.org paper wallet, a private key printed out on paper. In that case, you can import that private key into any Bitcoin client (Multibit, bitcoin-qt, Electrum, probably most of the Android wallets that support scanning a QR code) and spend the funds with that client.

This signature intentionally left blank.
btcd

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 03:11:47 PM

Thanks.
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1044

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2013, 06:58:49 PM

The answer to your question is yes. I recommend reading this article I wrote. It explains some of the basic things behind bitcoin. Might save you from loss in future:

http://bitcoinspakistan.com/blog/private-key-public-key-bitcoin-address-and-the-blockchain/

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.