Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:12:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Canadian Paypal Transactions Regulated by the U.S. Government  (Read 1252 times)
aigeezer (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 01:53:43 AM
Last edit: July 26, 2013, 02:16:08 PM by aigeezer

I just received this link from a usually reliable source. Can anyone here speak to the issue?

http://fernwoodpublishing.ca/blog/2013/07/paypal-transactions-regulated-by-the-u-s-government-raising-the-issue/

Key fragment:

"So, why are we (a Canadian publishing company) frustrated about what Paypal is doing in this regard? Because we feel it is an unnecessary infringement on people’s privacy, especially considering the customers are not living in the U.S., the book was not being shipped to a U.S. address and they were ordering a book from a Canadian company. So Cuba-U.S. relations are a part of your Paypal transaction. And U.S. law governs Paypal transactions. Who knew?"

Edit: added the word "Canadian" to the headline to make the theme more evident.

For American readers who may wonder what the fuss is about - imagine if, every time you filled your gas tank at a Shell station somewhere in the U.S., the details of the transaction were forwarded to the Dutch government for approval. Alternatively, imagine if, every time you filled your gas tank at a Citgo station somewhere in the U.S., the details of the transaction were forwarded to the Venezuelan government for approval.

This story is about Canadian residents using paypal.ca to buy books from a Canadian bookstore for shipment to Canadian addresses - yet the bookstore has been told that the transactions must be approved by the American government. Wowsers!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 05:51:14 AM

Who knew? Well, I guess everyone who knew that PayPal is based in the United States and as such has to comply with United States law. They might have known. But nobody else could have. It's not like that information is easy to find out, or anything. Roll Eyes

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 05:58:36 AM

Almost seems like something that belongs in the press forum
Regarding the issue I agree that it is not the government of the USA's business to be monitoring what books Canadians read

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
aigeezer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 11:27:01 AM

Regarding the issue I agree that it is not the government of the USA's business to be monitoring what books Canadians read

Thanks - my first instinct was to put it in Press but it doesn't mention BTC so I thought it might not be welcome there.
aigeezer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 11:56:44 AM

Who knew? Well, I guess everyone who knew that PayPal is based in the United States and as such has to comply with United States law. They might have known. But nobody else could have. It's not like that information is easy to find out, or anything. Roll Eyes

Canadians normally interact with PayPal through the site paypal.ca

When they open the portal they are greeted with "Welcome to PayPal Canada’s most-loved way to pay and get paid".

Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 02:19:06 PM

When they open the portal they are greeted with "Welcome to PayPal Canada’s most-loved way to pay and get paid".
And David Hasselhoff is Germany's most-loved actor. If Canadians can be bothered to click on "About Us" instead of just assuming that if Canadians love it, it must be Canadian, this is what they'd see:
Quote from: PayPal CA
Company's Founding Date
December 1998

Web Site Address
www.PayPal.ca

Corporate Headquarters
2211 North First Street
San Jose, California 95131

Worldwide Operations
12312 Port Grace Boulevard
La Vista, Nebraska 68128
The fact that a supposedly Canadian company is headquartered in the United States is what's known as a "clue".

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
aigeezer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 03:23:15 PM

And David Hasselhoff is Germany's most-loved actor. If Canadians can be bothered to click on "About Us" instead of just assuming that if Canadians love it, it must be Canadian, this is what they'd see:
Quote from: PayPal CA
Company's Founding Date
December 1998

Web Site Address
www.PayPal.ca

Corporate Headquarters
2211 North First Street
San Jose, California 95131

Worldwide Operations
12312 Port Grace Boulevard
La Vista, Nebraska 68128
The fact that a supposedly Canadian company is headquartered in the United States is what's known as a "clue".

What do you conclude from this clue?
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 08:31:52 PM

Thanks - my first instinct was to put it in Press but it doesn't mention BTC so I thought it might not be welcome there.

Your right it would have went into off topic since it is not bitcoin related same issue I had when posting about Visa premium cards winning over merchants hmm maybe general news should be a forum too Smiley

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: