Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:59:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Unique position  (Read 148 times)
Macker202 (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 04:18:06 PM

Hey guys,

First off I'm entirely new to cryptocurrency (I think I get the basics of it?) and have never mined a coin in my life. I am however in a fairly nice position whereby I work in architectural visualisation, so have access to a lot of heavy-duty machines (CPU mostly) and a few with some decent GPU's. I'm looking at mining monero (have just started on my quadro M4000 and a separate 1080 ti strix). Obviously the hardware costs and power costs are covered by the practice, so in theory it's "all profit".

I guess I have a lot of questions.

1 - Provided I'm doing it correctly on this (currently) modest setup, how long can I expect to see some coins (or fractions/denominations of) coins in my account/wallet? Is it a thing that I can expect to see incrementally creep up every hour, or day, or week? I have no idea on the timescales to expect.

2 - What difference does it make being in a big/small mining pool? Is it even feasible to go-it-alone?

3 - I'm sat looking at the command line interface scrolling away whilst the GPU calculates things wondering what it all means. Will it give me any kind of indication when I've "mined" something, or it's "paid out"?

4 - Assuming I've mined a coin, or percentage of one. What now? How do you exchange it for money?

Any help is much appreciated.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 04:34:28 PM

Hey guys,

First off I'm entirely new to cryptocurrency (I think I get the basics of it?) and have never mined a coin in my life. I am however in a fairly nice position whereby I work in architectural visualisation, so have access to a lot of heavy-duty machines (CPU mostly) and a few with some decent GPU's. I'm looking at mining monero (have just started on my quadro M4000 and a separate 1080 ti strix). Obviously the hardware costs and power costs are covered by the practice, so in theory it's "all profit".

I guess I have a lot of questions.

1 - Provided I'm doing it correctly on this (currently) modest setup, how long can I expect to see some coins (or fractions/denominations of) coins in my account/wallet? Is it a thing that I can expect to see incrementally creep up every hour, or day, or week? I have no idea on the timescales to expect.

2 - What difference does it make being in a big/small mining pool? Is it even feasible to go-it-alone?

3 - I'm sat looking at the command line interface scrolling away whilst the GPU calculates things wondering what it all means. Will it give me any kind of indication when I've "mined" something, or it's "paid out"?

4 - Assuming I've mined a coin, or percentage of one. What now? How do you exchange it for money?

Any help is much appreciated.

1 - I think really depends on how many GPU's you have to start with. CPU mining is just very very low profits in my opinion.   So how many GPU's and what GPU's are they? As the model will make huge difference.

2 - Most you will use a pool to guarantee payment and combine your hashing power with others.  You can solo mine but many coins it will be hard to have enough hash to not be more of lotto mining.  So high likelyhood of you using a pool.

3 - Which miner program are you using? Hard to say in general but in most cases it will say speed and you can use a mining calculator to see how much you should be making, and also can check pool your mining to for stats.

4 - Again depends on a coin but you would go to a exchange and do this part best exchange depends a lot of what country your in for what is best.   If in US a lot is KYC laws and you need to be verified to pull out cash to your actual banking account.    
Macker202 (OP)

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 04:49:14 PM

Thanks for the swift reply...

So I'm currently mining on the minergate pool, though my address sends the coins to mymonero.com account? Is this not the done thing, should I be on the minergate website instead? I'm quite confused by all this side of it.
Macker202 (OP)

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 09:09:41 PM

I understand the concept of pools, I just don't understand the practical (read: doing it) side of it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: