Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 01:39:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm selling Reloadable Visa Debit cards for Bitcoin.  (Read 9082 times)
morpheus (OP)

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 26, 2011, 09:18:14 PM

I actived the card so I'm pretty sure I could use it at least on the
web.   However, the registration process is necessary to get a PIN
number and to use the physical card on an ATM for instance.

I'd like to register but it seems that only US citizens can.

Any solution for foreign users?

I thought the card rules said you could use it at an ATM. To withdraw cash, you would use it as a credit card instead of an ATM card with a pin. I've never used a credit card at an ATM, so I don't know the details.

The cards around here are very US centric. Are they blocking you from registering because of your IP address or is it something else?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
February 27, 2011, 06:53:43 AM

I thought the card rules said you could use it at an ATM. To withdraw cash, you would use it as a credit card instead of an ATM card with a pin. I've never used a credit card at an ATM, so I don't know the details.

I haven't tried to withdraw cash from an ATM, for I doubt it will work without a PIN.  As of using it as a credit card in a shop, I don't know either, but I'll try.

The cards around here are very US centric. Are they blocking you from registering because of your IP address or is it something else?

No, I can see the registration form and I could fill it, but it doesn't fit to enter a foreign address (it only ask me for a US state, for instance), and I don't want to enter fake infos.

error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 27, 2011, 03:18:09 PM

You may have trouble using a US card in the UK and Europe, since US cards (still) don't have chip and PIN, and shops may be reluctant to do signature transactions, or may ask for a photo ID.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
MacRohard

Activity: 212

View Profile
March 02, 2011, 12:24:32 AM

You may have trouble using a US card in the UK and Europe, since US cards (still) don't have chip and PIN, and shops may be reluctant to do signature transactions, or may ask for a photo ID.

most shops won't care at all. their machine tells them 'signature required' they ask for a signature. that's the entire thought process.

grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
March 02, 2011, 12:32:14 AM

most shops won't care at all. their machine tells them 'signature required' they ask for a signature. that's the entire thought process.

Still, I wouldn't feel comfortable trying.  Especially since it is written "electronic use only" on the card.  I wonder why by the way, since the User Agreement document clearly states that the card could be used in an ATM and shops.   I'll try, but only if I have some cash aside in case it doesn't work.

morpheus (OP)

Activity: 164

View Profile
March 02, 2011, 12:39:26 AM

Still, I wouldn't feel comfortable trying.  Especially since it is written "electronic use only" on the card.  I wonder why by the way, since the User Agreement document clearly states that the card could be used in an ATM and shops.   I'll try, but only if I have some cash aside in case it doesn't work.

When they say "electronic use only" it usually just means you can't use them in the old impression type credit card readers. The numbers on the card are not raised and thus won't work in those old card readers.
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 03, 2011, 05:34:35 PM

When they say "electronic use only" it usually just means you can't use them in the old impression type credit card readers. The numbers on the card are not raised and thus won't work in those old card readers.

"Reader" is kind of a stretch, don't you think?

The raised numbers are meant to transfer an impression of the card to some carbon-paper at the point of sale. If you used cards 20 or 30 years ago you would be familiar with this. The image of the card number, name and expiration which are on the front of the card get transferred when the cashier puts the slip on top of the card and slides a roller across them.

The "electronic use only" cards simply have the name and number printed on them, and no raised glyphs.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: