Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 10:48:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining Farm Logistics  (Read 150 times)
sockoloons (OP)

Activity: 65
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 04:32:33 PM

I have a couple of questions with regards to creating a farm, I think I have some of the details wrong.

I got in contact with a company and talked to them with regards to the amount of electricity that I can get and they said 2 MW. What do this exactly mean, and how do people get facilities with much higher amounts of electricity? Do you need to purchase a substation or can you just get more electricity from your utility company?

Does 2 MW mean that they can provide 2 MWh?

My electricity is cheap (> 3 MWh in a month charged at $0.002/kwh) and I have a lot of land (>50 acres), so this is what is restricting me from moving forward.

Are there any other complications I should look into?

Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 10:09:58 PM

To get large amounts of power you either need to be close to a substation with capacity or build your own, which brings its own long list of challenges. Your power rate cannot possibly be right. Under 1 cent power? I dont think so.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
unholycactus
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1023

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2017, 10:15:50 PM

For a large operation there's a few other things you should consider like maintenance and ventilation.
sockoloons (OP)

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 10:35:53 PM

To get large amounts of power you either need to be close to a substation with capacity or build your own, which brings its own long list of challenges. Your power rate cannot possibly be right. Under 1 cent power? I dont think so.

Hm, how much do sub stations generally cost? I think I am very close to a substation, would I need to get in contact with the wire provider to see how much it costs? Would it be recommended that I generate my own electricity because that is also an option.

What kind of challenges do you foresee?

That was a direct quote from an electricity retailer for excess usage. I am assuming that they did not include other charges, which are constant where I live. Those fees are an additional 2.4 cents / kwh

For a large operation there's a few other things you should consider like maintenance and ventilation.

Of course those things are to be considered, but I think the main infrastructure should be considered first... I want to ensure that the electricity situation and everything is up to par before going into the other details. It may be that it won't work out at all in my location.
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 11:03:40 PM

1. Costs can vary wildly depending on location. Do you have large trunk lines running near? There are a ton of studies you need to do. Environmental impact and the like. The only substation I ever priced out was about $1 million but it is right next to an existing substation and high capacity lines.

2. Generating your own electricity is a great option if you can build a wind farm. Solar is a non starter due to cost and limited production capacity. Maybe natural gas generators if you have mineral rights and access to it.

Its really about location as far as how you can set your power up. If you are in a rural farm area with no access to larger capacity power lines you are pretty much boned.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
sockoloons (OP)

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 11:10:36 PM

1. Costs can vary wildly depending on location. Do you have large trunk lines running near? There are a ton of studies you need to do. Environmental impact and the like. The only substation I ever priced out was about $1 million but it is right next to an existing substation and high capacity lines.

2. Generating your own electricity is a great option if you can build a wind farm. Solar is a non starter due to cost and limited production capacity. Maybe natural gas generators if you have mineral rights and access to it.

Its really about location as far as how you can set your power up. If you are in a rural farm area with no access to larger capacity power lines you are pretty much boned.

Yeah we have large trunk lines running through. The land is located right beside a small town.

I know for sure that they have recently built a substation a little ways away, would it be worth trying to purchase one/build towards an existing one?

We have good access to generators for cheap, do you think this might be the way to go if I can't get a large amount of electricity? This is what I've mainly been considering but looking into substations first to see what kind of power I can get.

Are you required to purchase the substation or can you just draw electricity from one if you are close enough?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: