Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:52:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best hardware to mine Monero  (Read 183 times)
EnterTheLight (OP)

Activity: 214
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 06:42:33 PM

Hi there!

I mine BTC with S9. Just calculated profit from Monero mining. With the same hashrates I could earn more mining Monero.
Is it possible to do this with same hardware?
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2533

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 06:49:37 PM

No.
An ASIC-based miner can only mine the algo that is hard-coded into the chips, in this case SHA256D.
This area is for BITCOIN hardware only so any more altcoin queries belong in the altcoin areas or they will quickly be moved there by mods ...

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
EnterTheLight (OP)

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 09:55:00 PM

No.
An ASIC-based miner can only mine the algo that is hard-coded into the chips, in this case SHA256D.
This area is for BITCOIN hardware only so any more altcoin queries belong in the altcoin areas or they will quickly be moved there by mods ...

So what hardware is applicable to Monero mining?
BreakingBarnes

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 10:00:48 PM

No.

CPUs and GPUs. The algo it has is probably the most open one.
chriss0r

Activity: 198
Merit: 102

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 10:01:16 PM

You can find a good overview of hashrates mining monero with CPU / GPU on this site: http://monerobenchmarks.info/
Jerusareth

Activity: 73
Merit: 1

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 10:03:20 PM

No.

Monero does not have any ASIC mining hardware so your only choice is to invest for some GPU hardware instead. And the way you compared the hash rate of Bitcoin to Monero is not like that because the difficulty of this two coin is not the same too so relating this is pointless when it comes to mining.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 10:11:01 PM

SHA256 miners like the S9 can ONLY be used on coins that use the SHA256 algorithm.

Monero uses the CryptoNight algorithm - and there is no ASIC-based hardware available for it (and given how much RAM it uses, ASIC wouldn't offer much of an improvement in hash/$ most likely).

Right now, *IF* you can get ahold of them at semi-close to MSRP, the Vega GPUs are the best option for Monero on new cards.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
EnterTheLight (OP)

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 07:59:58 AM

Thanks for replies! I’m a bit newbie to mining. Just decided to start mine with friends several weeks ago)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: