Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:22:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Feelin' lucky Solo mining : anyone get some jackpots on new blockchains ?  (Read 155 times)
elr01 (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 13

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 07:25:55 PM

As a newbie I'am wondering about solo mining. You know in a pool you can discover yourself one, two, three blocks .. but the reward is split so your random chance is not rewarded.
Personnaly I tried an ETP Metaverse pool before two days it showed that I have found 2 blocks (6 ETP BReward versus 1 payed out according to the pool reward law)
Let's go solo, on some new promising coin blockchain, like, hum, electroneum(xmr), pirl, musicoin(eth), unicorn(mam) and so on, for example.
Does anybody can tell us if it's worth spending several days to try the luck ? Let's consider you are very very lucky : even with only one 8GB GPU ?.. And with which altercrypto ?
I suppose that the more the chain is young (short), the more a newbie miner can reach the luck to find solo a block, and another ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Deathwing
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1328

Stultorum infinitus est numerus

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2017, 07:29:40 PM

You can try it with new Proof of Work coins even though it is really really rare to see them around these times. Electroneum was rewarding a lot for solo miners on the first day of PoW before the difficulty increase, I know a few people who earned probably several thousand dollars.
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 07:53:25 PM

As a newbie I'am wondering about solo mining. You know in a pool you can discover yourself one, two, three blocks .. but the reward is split so your random chance is not rewarded.
Personnaly I tried an ETP Metaverse pool before two days it showed that I have found 2 blocks (6 ETP BReward versus 1 payed out according to the pool reward law)
Let's go solo, on some new promising coin blockchain, like, hum, electroneum(xmr), pirl, musicoin(eth), unicorn(mam) and so on, for example.
Does anybody can tell us if it's worth spending several days to try the luck ? Let's consider you are very very lucky : even with only one 8GB GPU ?.. And with which altercrypto ?
I suppose that the more the chain is young (short), the more a newbie miner can reach the luck to find solo a block, and another ?

Your block finding frequency (or chance of finding a block) depends on the coin's difficulty;

Time to find a block in seconds = (2^32 * difficulty) / (your_hashrate_in_Mh/s * 1e6)

That is for most coins, but not all. Anyway, you can get the difficulty by using getmininginfo in the wallet, under debug.

So for example, if your hashrate is 1000 Mh/s and the coin's difficulty is 838.9, you'll end up with 3600 seconds (e.g. 1 hour) between finding blocks on average. The last point is very important because it ignores variance (luck) so in reality you could go even days without finding a block or you could end up finding dozens of blocks under an hour.

So it's not about jackpot, it's just simple variance.

Not your keys, not your coins!
elr01 (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 13

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 08:16:20 PM

You can try it with new Proof of Work coins even though it is really really rare to see them around these times. Electroneum was rewarding a lot for solo miners on the first day of PoW before the difficulty increase, I know a few people who earned probably several thousand dollars.
I guess there are different kinds of pool reward like the different kinds of Proof of our work. You can be 1-or-2-day rewarded for your shares which can be useless at all for the pool. Or you can find there several blocks because you are lucky, and your hardware matches anywhere in the algos. But, philosophical question, isn't it sad to calculate nothing worth than (h)ashes, unlike gridcoin or fold'coin : another prime number, or the protein combination to cure a common disease, that's sustainable for decades, what do the world needs electronically ?

Your block finding frequency (or chance of finding a block) depends on the coin's difficulty;
Time to find a block in seconds = (2^32 * difficulty) / (your_hashrate_in_Mh/s * 1e6)
That is for most coins, but not all. Anyway, you can get the difficulty by using getmininginfo in the wallet, under debug.
So for example, if your hashrate is 1000 Mh/s and the coin's difficulty is 838.9, you'll end up with 3600 seconds (e.g. 1 hour) between finding blocks on average. The last point is very important because it ignores variance (luck) so in reality you could go even days without finding a block or you could end up finding dozens of blocks under an hour.

Very enlighting. Is that how the "Go solo ?" column is printed here : http://www.cryptocoinsinfo.com (ex. @1000H/s, Karbowanec KRB, 5.9 days, expected time per block solved)
There may be a more complete listing as well but where, whattomine.com does not output this ?
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 10:26:18 PM

I guess there are different kinds of pool reward like the different kinds of Proof of our work. You can be 1-or-2-day rewarded for your shares which can be useless at all for the pool. Or you can find there several blocks because you are lucky, and your hardware matches anywhere in the algos. But, philosophical question, isn't it sad to calculate nothing worth than (h)ashes, unlike gridcoin or fold'coin : another prime number, or the protein combination to cure a common disease, that's sustainable for decades, what do the world needs electronically ?

Very enlighting. Is that how the "Go solo ?" column is printed here : http://www.cryptocoinsinfo.com (ex. @1000H/s, Karbowanec KRB, 5.9 days, expected time per block solved)
There may be a more complete listing as well but where, whattomine.com does not output this ?

I'm not familiar with that site but some sites calculate the chances of finding a block based on how long it (should) take for the whole network to find a block (e.g. 10 min for Bitcoin, 2,5 minutes for Litecoin, etc). That basically means they're working from historical averages ignoring the actual difficulty of finding blocks and since difficulty can swing a lot, it will always be the most accurate metric (the complexity of the job your miner has to solve to find a block is basically multiplied by the difficulty).

Not your keys, not your coins!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: