Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 03:52:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lightning Network Centralizied?  (Read 121 times)
#BitcoinVegan (OP)

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 01:12:05 AM

Ive been hearing and reading rumors that lightning network could lead to a layer 2 centralization? But at times i can't believe what others call Centralisztion.

Yes I Know a bank or company can open a payment channel but in my eyes, that doesn't make it centralized. I think certain people throw the centralization word around loosely because they have never really experienced true centralization.

any thoughts?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6631

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2017, 01:33:52 AM
Merited by ABCbits (3)

It won't be centralized in the sense of traditional banking centralization. Even if LN is dominated by most people connecting to just a few large hubs, those hubs don't have the level of control that a bank does. You as a user will still be in control of your money, and you can close a payment channel at any time you want. And you don't even have to have a channel with those hubs if you don't want to; LN lets you create payment channels with anyone else.

Soksuci

Activity: 199

Mercy

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 02:22:05 AM

It won't. If it's true someone can copy their code and make decentralized. Just hope the best for LN
#BitcoinVegan (OP)

Activity: 76

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 03:56:50 AM

It won't. If it's true someone can copy their code and make decentralized. Just hope the best for LN

exactly i dont feed into the fud we have alot of crazies in bitcoin
Colorblind

Activity: 392
Merit: 41

This text is irrelevant

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 06:41:12 AM

In the very essence lightning is a barrage of hundreds of thousands of unconfirmad transaction and a ledger that keeps updating user's balances within an environment while payment channels are open. If you store your balance sheet and balance sheets of people you interact with and also look for activity of your peers on block chain you will be fine and nobody will have tools to screw you over (i.e. if someone post one of those tx to the block chain you will instantly post your "hostage" tx and will be fine in the end). This will obviously lead to some centralization (i.e. at some point someone will inevitable loose their ledgers and have to trust their peers)

However everyhting changes if you suddenly lose access to your pc or to ability to monitor blockchain for significant amount of time (comparable to lightning channel lifetime). In case of such event you will lose the ability to control transactions and leave yourself for the possible fraud from your peers. The probability of this sort of an attack is tiny and probably will require to hold you hostage till payment channel close, but it exists. This, however should not scare you because hassle required to mess with your lightning node is far greater then just to come to your house and physically take your cash at gunpoint (because it's pretty much same thing, but attacker had also posses certain IT skills).

Another thing, leading to centralization is inability to transfer more funds then you posses. I. e. If your balance is 1BTC nobody can't use your node to transfer more then 1BTC. This will lead to creation of hubs, that will be capable to transfer loads of cash through them. Closer your channel to the hub, easier it get's for your transactions to find their destination. So instead of mesh lightning will probably more look like a stars constellation
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: