Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:15:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Help With Altcoin Mining Rig Please  (Read 621 times)
cryptopi (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

Want some pi with that?

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 07:05:19 PM

I recently built a rig with:

To start it out, I decided to only use two of the GPUs just to make sure that it worked. After some fiddling (plugging in monitors, etc.) I got the two 7950s to hash away in cgminer at intensity 20 at roughly 630-640 khash each. Then I decided that I wanted another GPU so I shut the rig down. I then used a 16x to 16x riser cable and plugged another 7950 into a 16x PCI slot on the motherbaord. Then I plugged in the necessary 2x8 pin connectors to give the card power and the molex connector into the PCI riser cable. Then when I turned on the compter on, it did not even recognize the card. After I restarted the card, it finally did recognize it but when I activated cgminer and tried to mine on it I only got roughly 50 khash out of it or so. I have switched out riser cables and I have plenty of power so I know they are not the factors causing the error. I have also tried plugging in monitors to the cards and that did not work either.

Does anyone know what could be going wrong/have any suggestions? I have tried everything I could think of and would be extremely grateful for any assistance. Is there anything I should change in the BIOS?

Thank you

www.hosterbox.com - really good web hosting (accepts bitcoins)
(disclaimer - I am not affiliated with hosterbox in any way)
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Kruncha

Activity: 644
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 10:34:14 AM

When my friend added an extra card to his system, he had the same issues - it showed, and would run, but at 5-10% of what it should.

After trying a few things and asking for help here we had nothing. That's when we thought we'd go for a clean install of OS - that did the trick, not sure what caused the issue though.

One thing to try is remove all drivers, then use the catalyst removal tool to chase out any ghosts - and re-install.

Anyway, hope you get it sorted Smiley

K.
cryptopi (OP)

Want some pi with that?

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 02:17:19 PM

When my friend added an extra card to his system, he had the same issues - it showed, and would run, but at 5-10% of what it should.

After trying a few things and asking for help here we had nothing. That's when we thought we'd go for a clean install of OS - that did the trick, not sure what caused the issue though.

One thing to try is remove all drivers, then use the catalyst removal tool to chase out any ghosts - and re-install.

K.

Thanks for the insight, I'll give it a go

BitCoiner2012

Activity: 364

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 02:24:43 PM

K.

Thanks for the insight, I'll give it a go

This is always my first step as well - I often have problems with a system or rig that has a few GPUs and when I go to add another, or tinker with certain things, I run into issues. Low hashes, lack of recognition, etc. Often a fresh reset with reinstalled drivers tends to show the best results.

Other times I have a lot of success by playing musical chairs with the GPUs. Some of my motherboards just don't like certain GPUs in certain slots, further they won't "talk" if they aren't risen, some won't talk if they aren't on the ground. It's really just playing mix and match with proprietary hardware.

My best efforts to avoid these problems usually occur when I construct everything together and do a fresh install as opposed to trying to modulate it later.

BTC Long.
Makitaki

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 03:39:07 PM

windows 8 64 bit

Do NOT use this tool if you have Windows 8! Catalyst Removal Tool officially supports only Windows 7. It can screw up your W8 for good. Read here: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=373750
zackclark70
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

ADT developer

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 03:53:11 PM

give me a shout and I can give you a hand  Smiley

Edit my Skype is logged in most of the just leave me a message  Smiley

AbiTxGroup

Activity: 447

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 04:15:30 PM

windows 8 64 bit

Do NOT use this tool if you have Windows 8! Catalyst Removal Tool officially supports only Windows 7. It can screw up your W8 for good. Read here: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=373750
That error was reported back in January and little since then. 
I have used the catalyst removal tool many times with my Win 8 64 bit system with no ill effects to the OS. 
The reason I used it so many times is that I tried many different combinations of vid drivers and cgminer versions to see what worked best with my Sapphire 7950's.  I started with Amd version 12.4 and an old cgminer version 2.10.5 and tried multiply combinations until I settled with AMD 13.4 and cgminer 3.10.
cryptopi (OP)

Want some pi with that?

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 05:53:25 PM

Wow, thanks for all the advice. I will try the suggestions tonight and hopefully I will be met with success Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: