Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:41:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ASICMINER shares transfer?  (Read 1289 times)
ThrillHou (OP)

Activity: 73
Merit: 15

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 07:48:39 PM

So, I needed some ASICMINER shares transferred (from one address I own to another I own) for the first time and I emailed Friedcat a few days ago, and he has not responded. Am I supposed to do something else? Also, what's to prevent some random person from emailing Friedcat and fraudulently transferring my shares to his BTC address? Is it in Friedcat's ledger that ThrillHou has X shares because the person I bought those from told him that?

Somebody Halp I need my BTC now and as we all know here, time is money!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TheJuice

Activity: 840
Merit: 608

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 10:21:27 PM

So, I needed some ASICMINER shares transferred (from one address I own to another I own) for the first time and I emailed Friedcat a few days ago, and he has not responded. Am I supposed to do something else? Also, what's to prevent some random person from emailing Friedcat and fraudulently transferring my shares to his BTC address? Is it in Friedcat's ledger that ThrillHou has X shares because the person I bought those from told him that?

Somebody Halp I need my BTC now and as we all know here, time is money!

PM him; sign a message with your btc address to prove ownership.
ThrillHou (OP)

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 10:29:55 PM

I sent a PM with my old and new address. What do you mean "sign"? sorry I an new.. Is that like sending a "Certified email" or something?
Aajo

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 10:38:34 PM

I sent a PM with my old and new address. What do you mean "sign"? sorry I an new.. Is that like sending a "Certified email" or something?
in bitcoin-qt just click on File > Sign message...
davecoin

Activity: 816
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 06:41:34 AM

Also keep in mind, one downside of owning direct shares is that they are not as liquid as PT shares.  My last share transfer request was sent on June 29th and I didn't receive confirmation of the transfer until July 10th.  I think that may have been a bit of a fluke because I've had other transfers that only took 4 days.     
TheJuice

Activity: 840
Merit: 608

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 03:26:10 PM

Also keep in mind, one downside of owning direct shares is that they are not as liquid as PT shares.  My last share transfer request was sent on June 29th and I didn't receive confirmation of the transfer until July 10th.  I think that may have been a bit of a fluke because I've had other transfers that only took 4 days.     

He's usually very quick; always made it before the next div if done by monday.
tinus42

Activity: 784
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 02:23:02 PM

in bitcoin-qt just click on File > Sign message...

What if you use Electrum?
elasticband
Legendary

Activity: 1036

Nighty Night Don't Let The Trolls Bite Nom Nom Nom

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 02:24:07 PM

right click that address and you will see sign message
ThrillHou (OP)

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 11:34:29 PM

Still not sure how to "sign a message with your btc address to prove ownership."

I'm sorry I'm still at a loss on what to do, mainly because I still don't get the concept of a signed message and how to use it. Is a signed message a message from my client(Electrum) which says I own the address?  Did Friedcat perhaps ignore my earlier PM through this site because the message was not signed and therefore any punk could just say they want the shares transferred to their account? I am guessing the signed message has something to do with preventing this kind of scam?

BTW the address I am transferring the shares from is a paper wallet, the new address for the shares will be in Electrum. Not sure if that makes a difference or not, since it is implied from the replies here that I can sign my message through electrum?

Anybody care to keep prodding me in the right direction? My humble thanks
str4wm4n
Legendary

Activity: 1611
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 11:43:24 PM

brainwallet.org
shawshankinmate37927

Activity: 854

Bitcoin: The People's Bailout

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 12:35:03 AM

Still not sure how to "sign a message with your btc address to prove ownership."

I'm sorry I'm still at a loss on what to do, mainly because I still don't get the concept of a signed message and how to use it. Is a signed message a message from my client(Electrum) which says I own the address?  Did Friedcat perhaps ignore my earlier PM through this site because the message was not signed and therefore any punk could just say they want the shares transferred to their account? I am guessing the signed message has something to do with preventing this kind of scam?

BTW the address I am transferring the shares from is a paper wallet, the new address for the shares will be in Electrum. Not sure if that makes a difference or not, since it is implied from the replies here that I can sign my message through electrum?

Anybody care to keep prodding me in the right direction? My humble thanks

You'll have to import the paper wallet into Electrum before you can sign a message with the private key associated with that address.  (Sorry, I don't use Electrum, so I'm not sure what the specific steps are to do this.)

"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."   - Henry Ford
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: