Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 05:23:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Crypto Will Replace Bitcoin In Small Payments ? ETH, Ripple ?  (Read 234 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Red Fish (OP)

Activity: 435
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 11:13:51 AM

As we all know Bitcoin have very high price, therefore in small payments Bitcoin will be replaced with some crypto, but which one ? If we look in all cryptos - https://coinmarketcap.com/, it is very hard to say, which crypto will be most popular in next three to five years. May be ETH or Ripple ?   
cryptomema

Activity: 224
Merit: 12

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 11:24:25 AM

As we all know Bitcoin have very high price, therefore in small payments Bitcoin will be replaced with some crypto, but which one ? If we look in all cryptos - https://coinmarketcap.com/, it is very hard to say, which crypto will be most popular in next three to five years. May be ETH or Ripple ?   
LTC is a good candidate the coin is matured,XRP is to be considered too.Theres a lot of good coins out there all you need to do is to sort which is which .

Davehad

Activity: 70
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 11:32:31 AM

ETH - After Caspar and Plasma will have much quicker and, crucially, cheaper transactions.  So for me this.  People are so used to not having to work in decimal places with FIAT currency that I think this is a crucial thing - people don't like having to think about or work out to many decimal places.  So maybe a coin will come along where you can only deal in say 1 decimal place - or ideally no decimal places.. Is there anything out there like that at the moment - or anything coming up in the near future?
Ailmand

Activity: 1274
Merit: 519

Coindragon.com 30% Cash Back

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 11:37:33 AM

I think the options you gave can be good candidates for that purpose. I may also add Waves because amongst all the altcoins across the market, them three are the reliable and strong ones that have proven themselves even despite the negative effects the bitcoin surge has brought about to most altcoins in the crypto market. I think the main indicator on which one would emerge as the best candidate would be which altcoin would have the bigger chunk of improvement in terms of price point and marketability. Just last week, Waves has increased in value and many suspect that it's because the developers are trying to combat the negative effects of the recent bitcoin surge by pumping its value. On the one hand, it's a good sign that Ripple and Eth has maintained a good price point despite what's happening.

gidaahmad

Activity: 476
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 11:41:23 AM

Yes, maybe Monetha (MTH) will be suitable if used as a means of payment with a small nominal. Because according to the project, MTH want to be the next paypal, but for the world Crypto. And their ICO success in just 18 minutes (95000 ETH collected).
1l1l11ll1l
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2017, 11:43:32 AM

Ripple and ETH are very popular and have very good developments, but I do not think they can compete with bitcoin, there are some aspects they have to go through to replace bitcoin

wayaneka

Activity: 644
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2017, 11:47:58 AM

ETH and Ripple is good option. But In my opinion can be IOTA because this coin have no fee transaction so is good for micro payments. But any other potential coin that good for small payment is like Digibyte.

CryptoTamer

Activity: 364
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2017, 12:11:22 PM

Ripple and ETH are very popular and have very good developments, but I do not think they can compete with bitcoin, there are some aspects they have to go through to replace bitcoin
Personally I prefer to use altcoin for small payments and I think ETH or XRP have been competing with Bitcoin even they could be the best choice for small payment
unihamburg

Activity: 411
Merit: 21

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 12:13:07 PM

I think it will be ETH.

But if we consider Ripple for possible candidate, then also have to take Stellar(XLM) into account, since Stellar is the fixed and optimized Version of Ripple.
Tekunda

Activity: 204
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 12:18:51 PM

I put my bet on Stellar Lumens. 1 billion simultaneous transactions per second, a fraction of a cent per transaction.
CryptoKranthi

Activity: 182

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 12:39:05 PM

ETN in my opion is good for low fee transactions as it only costs around 0.2-2 ETN per transaction
drunkcoin

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 12:42:13 PM

I think it would be Ripple. Ethereum is #2 crypto after Bitcoin, so it's also more like an asset and like a platform for other services. Ripple is supported by banks, costs about a buck and is stable enough to be payment method.
MungoKeuls

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 12:55:47 PM

Personally I think that an everyday  usable crypto/altcoin needs to meet some or even all of these criteria .  1. Widely distributed across the globe - if its in the hands of less than 10 000 or even 100 000 people it will never really be used widely.   2. Fast - if blockchain refresh takes more than a minute its almost unuseable - what shopowner is going to ask a customer to wait for 10 minutes while transaction is verified.       3. Very large distribution number and also FIXED number  - Has to be billions and not millions with no option to suddenly issue next billion - otherwise people will have to deal with buying a cup of coffee costing 0,0000234 of a coin - this is just not feasible as ppl need to equate values in understandable figures not in subdecimals.   4. useability -  it needs to be useable with barcode or even swipe card so can be accepted in more places. So the alt coin should have minimum webwallets, pc/mac wallets, merchant API's, even swipe cards/NFC's so the user isn't limited    5. Acceptability - If less than say 10 000 shops/retailers/restaurants  are not accepting then its also not really usable - this takes time so the number of places accepting has to be on clear transparent visible growth path and info where to use the coin should be readily available and updated daily - there should also be clear program in place by the organization to grow this number with clear targets etc.     6. Stability -  the price need to be relatively stable.....it can be with steady growth trend but not a zigzag as this causes something to cost x today and next day its 3x or x/3. ppl don't like that.    7. So blockchain really decentralised, highly transparent and ideally independent - really a peoples money .... so nobody can just increase the number suddenly and value crashes.    

So if You are looking at the coinmarketcap list then maybe only a handful of currencies fullfill some or any of the above criteria. Actually I doubt any do right now. So even Ether at 690$ may already be too expensive so a 5$ cup of coffee would cost 0,007 ether - its confusing.  

Also I guess the actual idea of an alternate currency is being lost due to number of ICO's - most people see altcoins just as funding mechanism and are not really interested to see them practically used to buy stuff.  I personally am a little saddened by this as I still believe we need an alternative to Fiat's.
cryptofunn

Activity: 490

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2017, 01:06:06 PM

Now there are many projects that can boast of the speed of transactions and a low commission in comparison with bitcoin. For example, dash, vtc, waves. But will they become a payment currency on a global scale? It seems to me closer to this dash

penig

Activity: 266
Merit: 13

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 01:11:43 PM

It wont be Ripple, to many people ideologically dislike it because its favored by banks.  I think ETH is too focused on smart contracts and not having a simple native wallet (MEW works fine but browser doesn't cut it for many uses).  Many of the other suggestions are platforms with similar issues (trying to do more than just payments, under-developed tools).  It should be Litecoin, since thats its purpose and doesn't need anyone to be convinced?  Steam has taken it on, so i think the switch is already in motion.
imjustp

Activity: 256
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2017, 01:15:16 PM

Possibly one which has not been fully released yet? As someone said earlier, people will not adopt a currency with 8 decimal places. Personally I think the currency to be majorly adopted will be one with no more than two decimal places. It will be easiest for the average joe to work with.
pushkarmore

Activity: 241

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 01:17:31 PM

Bitcoin is king of the crypto market and therefore if you want to replace it with some other crypto coins then go to some coins which has good value for the current and future crypto market cycle. You can move to Ethereum also as it is good and connected to all the major ICO's, but i will also tell you that you can go and try Ripple, Neocoin, Dash which are emerging as a good option.
Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1530

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2017, 02:07:27 PM

Bitcoin Cash is Bitcoin and can do transactions for pennies.

Add a sidechain for sub 1 penny txs and you’re set.

iXcoin - Welcome to the F U T U R E!
bambazamba

Activity: 348
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 03:06:02 PM

Bitcoin is really struggling due to the high price now . The other altcpins might replace it for small payments .That is just because they have so much potential right now and the block size is also relatively larger than bitcoin . They might replace it , if the changes are not made for bitcoin's coinbase very soon .
Many coins such as ETH , Ripple , Iota , Electroneum have a chance to attain this thing.   
xaviervilla

Activity: 350

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 04:22:32 PM

If you ask me, litecone is a pretty great candidate since it is fast, reliable and really cheap in terms of transaction fees.  It really would be a great choice. Since it is still pretty cheap and not a pain in the pocket to buy. Plus it has great potential to increase in price for the next few months or years. I even invested and converted some of my btc into litecoin. But still, i am not ready to ket go of my bitcoins. So.. i think i can say i have invested enough already on litecoin.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: