Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 12:16:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Which popular wallets sent change back to the same address?  (Read 145 times)
tobasco (OP)

Activity: 61
Merit: 12

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2017, 12:22:44 PM

I'm curious about which popular bitcoin wallets sent/send the change of a transaction back to the original sending address.

For example, if you hover over the address for the change, you can see it's the same as the address of the output being spent: http://learnmeabitcoin.com/browser/transaction/b63cbb2b089846b022a85c1d9a26789bdc3ecd2df840d273e4071cda12581946

It's uncommon these days as wallets send your change to a new address for you. I'm just wondering which well-known wallets were notorious for creating change for you this way?

It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1250

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 04:31:33 PM

I'm curious about which popular bitcoin wallets sent/send the change of a transaction back to the original sending address.

For example, if you hover over the address for the change, you can see it's the same as the address of the output being spent: http://learnmeabitcoin.com/browser/transaction/b63cbb2b089846b022a85c1d9a26789bdc3ecd2df840d273e4071cda12581946

It's uncommon these days as wallets send your change to a new address for you. I'm just wondering which well-known wallets were notorious for creating change for you this way?

Any decent wallet (like Bitcoin Core's wallet) will give you the possibility to both:

1) Send change to a custom address
2) Send change to a brand newly generated address

As far as I know all of the popular wallets send your change to a new address (like Electrum)

But in exchanges, who knows, I haven't paid attention to that. For example when you withdraw, they may not botter and just send you the change to the same address.. I think this is the case since in exchanges you can only manage 1 deposit address typically (which sucks for privacy). In Poloniex i've always had the same address. I tried creating another account, and it looks like it's 1 account = 1 deposit address, so the change could only go back to your deposit address when you withdraw.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4612

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 06:12:11 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

I'm just wondering which well-known wallets were notorious for creating change for you this way?

Blockchain.info had a reputation for that behavior for a long time.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: