Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 02:17:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Old offline signing laptop with Ubuntu 12.04 32-bit  (Read 156 times)
redphlegm (OP)

Activity: 246
Merit: 250

My spoon is too big!

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 08:57:26 PM

I know there hasn't been a 32-bit build of Armory in quite some time but I have an old laptop with 32-bit Ubuntu 12.04 that I used for signing.

I'm trying to figure out how to get a 0.96 version onto it since it has no way of connecting to the Internet.

I've installed the 32-bit version of Ubuntu in a VM and was thinking I could build a .deb that way but the compiling instructions for Armory seem to only be for online machines and I don't know how to make a deb file for armory to move it over.

What are my options?

Perhaps some other relevant info:
1) All the funds are from before the SegWit fork and therefore haven't been spent.
2) I'm also looking to claim BCH and therefore need a client that supports signing BCH transactions.

Lastly, is it possible to just copy the signing wallets from the offline machine to another machine - perhaps temporarily?

Thanks in advance.

Whiskey Fund: (BTC) 1whiSKeYMRevsJMAQwU8NY1YhvPPMjTbM | (Ψ) ALcoHoLsKUfdmGfHVXEShtqrEkasihVyqW

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1347

Armory Developer

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 10:07:47 PM

You can build Armory on 32bit Ubuntu just fine. What you cannot expect is a 32 bit version of Armory to go online. But it's fine offline. That stuff will be able to sign for BCH tx as well.

The simplest way for you to build your binary would be to run a VM of your target OS and arch on your online machine, build the binary from that, then take it to your offline signer.

Lastly, is it possible to just copy the signing wallets from the offline machine to another machine - perhaps temporarily?

Don't, you'll be compromising that wallet.

PhoenixFire

Activity: 270
Merit: 36

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 10:29:38 PM

The simplest way for you to build your binary would be to run a VM of your target OS and arch on your online machine, build the binary from that, then take it to your offline signer.
armory_0.96.2-ubuntu14.04-i386_offline.tar.gz might be worth trying too..? Though with caveats. Hoping they'll have any other dependencies already, for one, and not using segwit being another.
goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 11:16:09 PM

armory_0.96.2-ubuntu14.04-i386_offline.tar.gz might be worth trying too..? Though with caveats. Hoping they'll have any other dependencies already, for one, and not using segwit being another.

You'll have to stick to 0.96.2 on the online machine as well then.

PhoenixFire

Activity: 270
Merit: 36

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 11:30:51 PM

You'll have to stick to 0.96.2 on the online machine as well then.
My single datapoint doesn't count for much but I managed to split my BCH successfully with 0.96.2 offline and 0.96.3 online, thanks to info in the sticky. Of course ideal world, or in case of any problems, matching is the route to take, with matching latest being even better Smiley
redphlegm (OP)

My spoon is too big!

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 08:06:28 PM

You can build Armory on 32bit Ubuntu just fine. What you cannot expect is a 32 bit version of Armory to go online. But it's fine offline. That stuff will be able to sign for BCH tx as well.

I successfully compiled in a VM but as the method of running it is "python ArmoryQT.py" (and of course ArmoryQt.py isn't a binary) I wasn't able to tell exactly how to move that to my offline machine. I looked through the python file a little, trying to find where the binary actually is but as I'm not a developer, I couldn't really reach a conclusion. How, after following the instructions here (https://btcarmory.com/docs/building/ - Ubuntu Build Instructions) do I find the binary? I realize this is probably an incredibly ignorant question but I've Googled building dpkg and other such things to no avail.

TIA.

Whiskey Fund: (BTC) 1whiSKeYMRevsJMAQwU8NY1YhvPPMjTbM | (Ψ) ALcoHoLsKUfdmGfHVXEShtqrEkasihVyqW
droark

Activity: 525
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2017, 09:08:48 PM

You can just tarball the files up and then put them on a thumb drive, or drag the file from the VM to your desktop (or wherever) if your software supports it. That said, I'm not sure offhand if Armory will run on 12.04. I remember there being some trickiness necessary in order to make Armory work on 12.04. That code is gone now. (Maybe there's another workaround I don't know about?) I'm inclined to say that usage of Armory 12.04 is a "caveat emptor" kinda deal, since it's no longer supported, but that's goatpig's call.
redphlegm (OP)

My spoon is too big!

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 09:13:07 PM

You can just tarball the files up and then put them on a thumb drive, or drag the file from the VM to your desktop (or wherever) if your software supports it. That said, I'm not sure offhand if Armory will run on 12.04. I remember there being some trickiness necessary in order to make Armory work on 12.04. That code is gone now. (Maybe there's another workaround I don't know about?) I'm inclined to say that usage of Armory 12.04 is a "caveat emptor" kinda deal, since it's no longer supported, but that's goatpig's call.

That's kind of what I figured. I'm just going to go ahead and get a cheap 64-bit netbook and move over to that.

Appreciate the responses.

goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 09:18:44 PM

I successfully compiled in a VM but as the method of running it is "python ArmoryQT.py" (and of course ArmoryQt.py isn't a binary) I wasn't able to tell exactly how to move that to my offline machine. I looked through the python file a little, trying to find where the binary actually is but as I'm not a developer, I couldn't really reach a conclusion. How, after following the instructions here (https://btcarmory.com/docs/building/ - Ubuntu Build Instructions) do I find the binary? I realize this is probably an incredibly ignorant question but I've Googled building dpkg and other such things to no avail.

TIA.

In /dpkgfiles there's a Python script that will create a .deb for you. Otherwise, ask droark said, you can just tarball the build folder, take that over to your target machine and "sudo make install" there or just run "python ArmoryQt.py"

clemdementhe

Activity: 24
Merit: 2

View Profile
December 24, 2017, 01:45:29 PM

That's kind of what I figured. I'm just going to go ahead and get a cheap 64-bit netbook and move over to that.

Appreciate the responses.

if it saves you some research time, I was in a similar position and found that the HP Stream 11 is 64 bit and will take 16.04 with no problems. It did seem to need the noasm version of armory tho, which surprised me. It's also very cheap atm, with plenty of refurbs/returns on the bay. I also liked that it has an A4 footprint so will fit into standardised secure places...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: