Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 11:33:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: multiple pcie splitter  (Read 294 times)
dodgertc (OP)

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 10:42:22 PM
Last edit: December 23, 2017, 12:04:46 AM by dodgertc

Hi,

i´m building a new GPU mining rig. It´s based on a standard mb which i got for free including a low-power cpu.

It has a
1x PCI-e 16
and
1x PCI-e
slots on the board.

Now i already got
1x 1070ti gtx in the PCI-e 16 running and
a x4 Splitter in the PCI-e slot  (i use this one: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07414NTB4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

on the x4 Splitter i run additional 4x 1070ti gtx.

thus 5 GPU´s are already running without issues.

My question:

Can i use a second x4 splitter in the PCI-e 16 slot and thus runn additional 3 GPU´s in total ? (iE 8 in total in this setup)

Or is there a limit how many PCI-e Splitters i can use ?

thanks in advance if someone knows or has experience

Bakhtra

Activity: 215
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 11:20:44 PM

Hi,

i´m building a new GPU mining rig. It´s based on a standard mb which i got for free including a low-power cpu.

It has a
1x PCI-e 16
and
1x PCI-e
slots on the board.

Now i already got
1x 780ti gtx in the PCI-e 16 running and
a x4 Splitter in the PCI-e slot  (i use this one: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07414NTB4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

on the x4 Splitter i run 4 780ti gtx.

thus 5 GPU´s are already running without issues.

My question:

Can i use a second x4 splitter in the PCI-e slot and thus runn additional 3 GPU´s in total ? (iE 8 in total in this setup)

Or is there a limit how many PCI-e Splitters i can use ?

thanks in advance if someone knows or has experience

I don't think so, bets you can get maybe 6 or 7, and not stable. so not worthed. Better buy another 2nd pc for that.
dodgertc (OP)

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 12:01:39 AM

thanks for the feedback.  yep, if its not stable it makes no sense. 

// corrected 780ti to 1070ti was reading a thread about 780ti as i had one laying around and wondered about its TDP and somehow it got in the message. xD not that this would change something. just write it so no one is confused ifrom the difference between original(edited) post and reply
Ntropia

Activity: 8

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 12:07:00 AM

in theory you can run as many gpus as chipset allows you due to the number of pcie lanes.
dodgertc (OP)

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 02:08:07 AM
Last edit: December 25, 2017, 01:29:40 AM by dodgertc

in theory you can run as many gpus as chipset allows you due to the number of pcie lanes.

good idea. yes i´ll try. if it doesnt work i use the 4x in the gaming rig Smiley

that particular mining machine has a Biostar motherboard with amd chipset. I couldnt find any technical spec (even @amd) featuring the number of pcie lanes, so i´ll give it a try. hash rate wise even underclocked (CPU) and set for low-power everything is according to forum findings and expectations here even on the pci-e splitter (pci-e expander) so far.

of course id like to have it run in an 8 card config if it supports it without replacing mobo,cpu and ram as while its cheap its still something to have to get ROI again

dstm equihash ~500 sol and ~4.6 sol/w  @ +200core, +700mem, 110w (60% tdp)  per GPU
gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 02:29:23 AM

You are just asking for headaches trying to go cheap and use a pcie splitter.  If you're going to build a multiple gpu mining rig, then build one.  You can get a good board with 6 pcie slots for under $150.  I'm using Asus Prime Z270-P's in both six gpu rigs that I've built and have yet to have a single issue after the bios is updated and configured properly. 

Theory is exactly that ... Theory.  It your motive is to spend time proving theory, go right ahead.  If your motive is to build a stable mining rig, stay away from the pcie splitters.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
dodgertc (OP)

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 08:42:14 AM
Last edit: December 23, 2017, 09:00:35 AM by dodgertc

You are just asking for headaches trying to go cheap and use a pcie splitter.  If you're going to build a multiple gpu mining rig, then build one.  You can get a good board with 6 pcie slots for under $150.  I'm using Asus Prime Z270-P's in both six gpu rigs that I've built and have yet to have a single issue after the bios is updated and configured properly.  

Theory is exactly that ... Theory.  It your motive is to spend time proving theory, go right ahead.  If your motive is to build a stable mining rig, stay away from the pcie splitters.

thanks for your take on it. I know your´e right ! besides that it was "free" its basically the mainboard from my ex´s pc that she left here like any other stuff she didnt needed anymore. as it was an expesnvie relation it´d be great lulz if this board manages to be the heart of a new mining rig. (im using Asrock H110 in my 2 others)  Her ex PC would do at least something productive to pay back stuff which would be hilarious. But if its unstable i´ll ditch it. Just to clarify a bit of the "motivation"  Cool beside a mere lower invest
jmigdlc99

Activity: 784
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2017, 09:10:01 AM

thanks for your take on it. I know your´e right ! besides that it was "free" its basically the mainboard from my ex´s pc that she left here like any other stuff she didnt needed anymore. as it was an expesnvie relation it´d be great lulz if this board manages to be the heart of a new mining rig. (im using Asrock H110 in my 2 others)  Her ex PC would do at least something productive to pay back stuff which would be hilarious. But if its unstable i´ll ditch it. Just to clarify a bit of the "motivation"  Cool beside a mere lower invest

Yeah if its unstable just ditch it, just like your ex. Lol.

But seriously, i've been using a 4x PCIE splitter on one of my old motherboards and it works fine and stable. I guess its a case to case basis depending on the specific board or chipset. If you are able to get it work then you'll be able to build a cheaper rig. I guess the IF is a big question here and that leaves you to gamble whether or not to buy a PCIE splitter and risk wasting money or just get a new mobo directly.

0xacBBa937A57ecE1298B5d350f40C0Eb16eC5fA4B
VyprBTC

Activity: 350

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 06:26:23 PM

thanks for your take on it. I know your´e right ! besides that it was "free" its basically the mainboard from my ex´s pc that she left here like any other stuff she didnt needed anymore. as it was an expesnvie relation it´d be great lulz if this board manages to be the heart of a new mining rig. (im using Asrock H110 in my 2 others)  Her ex PC would do at least something productive to pay back stuff which would be hilarious. But if its unstable i´ll ditch it. Just to clarify a bit of the "motivation"  Cool beside a mere lower invest

But seriously, i've been using a 4x PCIE splitter on one of my old motherboards and it works fine and stable. I guess its a case to case basis depending on the specific board or chipset. If you are able to get it work then you'll be able to build a cheaper rig. I guess the IF is a big question here and that leaves you to gamble whether or not to buy a PCIE splitter and risk wasting money or just get a new mobo directly.

The knucklehead that said he's just asking for trouble I'm willing to bet has never even used one, he's just spreading FUD and his opinion of what MIGHT happen.

I've heard of many others like you that don't have any issues with their expanders - I'll be buying a few of them just for shits n giggles to play around with, why not.

It's pretty much like how everyone was screaming "don't use risers, they're terrible, find boards that you can do 3 onboard on, risers will fail, rigs will magically disappear into thin air."

I built the 3 card rigs, they were fine. but I decided go and build on risers. Bam. Not a single problem. None.
gotminer

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 07:01:49 PM

thanks for your take on it. I know your´e right ! besides that it was "free" its basically the mainboard from my ex´s pc that she left here like any other stuff she didnt needed anymore. as it was an expesnvie relation it´d be great lulz if this board manages to be the heart of a new mining rig. (im using Asrock H110 in my 2 others)  Her ex PC would do at least something productive to pay back stuff which would be hilarious. But if its unstable i´ll ditch it. Just to clarify a bit of the "motivation"  Cool beside a mere lower invest

The knucklehead that said he's just asking for trouble I'm willing to bet has never even used one, he's just spreading FUD and his opinion of what MIGHT happen.

I've heard of many others like you that don't have any issues with their expanders - I'll be buying a few of them just for shits n giggles to play around with, why not.

It's pretty much like how everyone was screaming "don't use risers, they're terrible, find boards that you can do 3 onboard on, risers will fail, rigs will magically disappear into thin air."

I built the 3 card rigs, they were fine. but I decided go and build on risers. Bam. Not a single problem. None.

Sure.  Buy a few to play around with, but consider it playing around.  My point was to not expect stability from trying to split what wasn't designed to be split.  More than a few people have told me they have caused them problems, so why risk it?  My preference is stability for rigs that I want running 24/7.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
VyprBTC

Activity: 350

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 08:31:30 PM

Sure.  Buy a few to play around with, but consider it playing around.  My point was to not expect stability from trying to split what wasn't designed to be split.  More than a few people have told me they have caused them problems, so why risk it?  My preference is stability for rigs that I want running 24/7.

Well when I started people were saying build 2 card and 3 card rigs, don't use powered risers because they aren't stable.

We see where that went.
CryptoWatcher420

Activity: 462
Merit: 258

Small Time Miner, Rig Builder, Crypto Trader

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 08:31:37 PM

sure if its a newer motherboard, but if its older then no that's not the case, older the mobo is the chance that it cannot do even 6 gpus becomes more prevalent, older motherboards and cpus do not have the same amount of pcie lanes as the new ones do but then there's also integrated stuff like sound,network etc that take up pcie lanes which does affect how many gpus you can run

6pin to EPS 12v 4+4pin w/pigtail & 2.5mm barrel plug for Pico Psu for SERVER PSU ONLY GPU MINING RIGS! | Donations: BTC-  | Join Me on Discord! https://discord.gg/VDwWFcK
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2017, 01:02:59 AM

In practice, these splitters are hit-and-miss. I have a 4-to-1 version that works fine in one of my rigs with 1060s and a 1080ti, but I've also heard plenty of stories where they didn't work for other users. (The story about all of them not working with Nvidia GPUs appears to be a baseless claim.)

Using more than one in a rig sounds like it'd be a pain in the rear to troubleshoot. Perhaps you'll be able to make use of all of the additional slots, perhaps you'll get some, or perhaps you'll get none. In any case, make sure you buy from a place with a good return policy.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
bigjee

Activity: 434
Merit: 107

View Profile
December 24, 2017, 04:14:56 AM

Do you think a 2x1 is better than a 4x1 to decrease the instability (IF any).

https://www.amazon.ca/Extender-Bitcoin-Litecoin-Ubit-Adapter-Ethereum/dp/B0756DK7NW/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&qid=1514088863&sr=8-25&keywords=risers&th=1
gotminer

View Profile
December 24, 2017, 04:26:17 AM

I think 1 x 1 is optimal.  Buy all of these things that you want ... to test.  Don't use them in rigs that you want to run 24/7 without issues right off the bat.  That is all that I'm saying.  The fact that widespread adoption hasn't happened just yet, leads me to believe that further testing needs to be done.  I may eventually buy some myself to use on a test rig, but sometimes your time and money is better spent in other ways.  

Personally, I'd rather be testing a riserless 8 gpu rig with the board that Vosk has, but I see the gpu spacing issues.  I have a strong feeling that may eventually present a problem, so until I have the time to test it myself or see a lot of positive results from others, it isn't part of my expansion plan.

bigjee

Activity: 434
Merit: 107

View Profile
December 24, 2017, 04:37:12 AM

I think 1 x 1 is optimal.  Buy all of these things that you want ... to test.  Don't use them in rigs that you want to run 24/7 without issues right off the bat.  That is all that I'm saying.  The fact that widespread adoption hasn't happened just yet, leads me to believe that further testing needs to be done.  I may eventually buy some myself to use on a test rig, but sometimes your time and money is better spent in other ways.  

Personally, I'd rather be testing a riserless 8 gpu rig with the board that Vosk has, but I see the gpu spacing issues.  I have a strong feeling that may eventually present a problem, so until I have the time to test it myself or see a lot of positive results from others, it isn't part of my expansion plan.

Okay.
Whats your thoughts on m.2 ngff to pcie connectors then.
Are they safer than the pcie splitters.

https://www.amazon.ca/Express-Female-Converter-Adapter-Screwdriver/dp/B073PSYYH6/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1514090199&sr=8-10&keywords=m.2+ngff+to+pci-e+4x
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: