Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 04:09:10 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining Cabinet Design  (Read 300 times)
Icarusfixius (OP)

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 01:06:30 AM

I am working on a design for a new cabinet to contain my mining hardware neatly and better control heat. This current design allows for air to flow bottom to top and be exhausted. Looking for feedback and thoughts as to how to further optimize the design. I have toyed with the idea of just using a single row of cards as servicing the back row might be difficult.

halker2010

Activity: 532
Merit: 250

The harder your life is the more meaning it has.

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 06:24:50 AM

holy shit dude this is some amazing design but you need more space between gpus some good Ventilation system and some sort of material that doesn't decay with constant heat after a while.
danialzo

Activity: 84
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 07:48:29 AM

are they gonna be hanged on a rail using a single screw? I've tried a similar experiment at home (16 gpus on 2 rigs), it saves lots of space and it has kinda ok air flow, but when connecting all the wires and risers, it will be kinda cramped depending on who big the cabinet is.
Icarusfixius (OP)

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 02:37:41 PM

holy shit dude this is some amazing design but you need more space between gpus some good Ventilation system and some sort of material that doesn't decay with constant heat after a while.

There is almost an inch between them. My Gpus are currently this close together they just are not hung vertical like that.
Icarusfixius (OP)

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 02:40:10 PM

are they gonna be hanged on a rail using a single screw? I've tried a similar experiment at home (16 gpus on 2 rigs), it saves lots of space and it has kinda ok air flow, but when connecting all the wires and risers, it will be kinda cramped depending on who big the cabinet is.

That cabinet is 24”x24”x48”. The plan was to hang the Gpus on a rail with a screw yes. It will be a bit tight, the idea here is really to optimize airflow. None of the dimensions are set in stone I just started playing with part layout to see what I could come up with.
leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 02:53:19 PM

Awesome, it sure give some extra space and probably easier to put some clean inlet fresh air from the side bottom area.

Probably have an idea to be implement with my next project, thanks for this wonderful idea
0xcosmos

Activity: 585
Merit: 110

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 02:59:22 PM

it really looks nice
i am facing so many issues with heat management as of now
but it is winter so it is okay for time being
have to implement new ways for heat management before summer
watching this thread will love to see some real images in action
Icarusfixius (OP)

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 03:08:17 PM

it really looks nice
i am facing so many issues with heat management as of now
but it is winter so it is okay for time being
have to implement new ways for heat management before summer
watching this thread will love to see some real images in action

Will be sure to post things as I go. Was going to give it a few days here to get feedback from people. Always good to see what details other people catch that you would not have thought of yourself.
pix530

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 06:19:02 PM

Cards are too close to each other, I d go with at least 3" in between.
This looks like stove for me.

3 MB is doable, but not easy.
would be 3x1500W enough to power it?

Permonik

Activity: 275
Merit: 11

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 08:55:22 PM

Icarusfixius (OP)

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 05:15:58 PM

I am having a hard time Mentally undertandsing what you have going there. Do you have those evga's in a sealed box and pumping Air-conditioned air through he box? If so how much air? Are the cards you can see all that is in the box? Overall how well has the design worked for you?
Icarusfixius (OP)

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 05:17:37 PM

Cards are too close to each other, I d go with at least 3" in between.
This looks like stove for me.

3 MB is doable, but not easy.
would be 3x1500W enough to power it?

3" is a ton of space they can definitely be closer than 3 inch's assming there is plenty of airflow in the cabinet. Not quite sure how close tho.
Permonik

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 05:58:50 PM

I am having a hard time Mentally undertandsing what you have going there. Do you have those evga's in a sealed box and pumping Air-conditioned air through he box? If so how much air? Are the cards you can see all that is in the box? Overall how well has the design worked for you?
Hi,
It is a quite easy. Inside the electric cabinet are 10x rx vega 64 from sapphire. Top of the cards(where is the exhaust of hot air) are inside sealed air tunnel (so there is no hot air inside the cabinet) where are two industrial fans - on each side to vent hot air out of the tunnel (on the left side is connected hose which is leading to the stairway for heating of the house). Two hoses leading to the bottom of the cabinet are for the fresh cold air from the outside of the house -5celsius by now.
Dust filters are on all intake fans. Industrial electric cabinet is ip66, so I do not worry about dust and so on... Air flow is about 2000m3/h.
Icarusfixius (OP)

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 07:04:01 PM

Hi,
It is a quite easy. Inside the electric cabinet are 10x rx vega 64 from sapphire. Top of the cards(where is the exhaust of hot air) are inside sealed air tunnel (so there is no hot air inside the cabinet) where are two industrial fans - on each side to vent hot air out of the tunnel (on the left side is connected hose which is leading to the stairway for heating of the house). Two hoses leading to the bottom of the cabinet are for the fresh cold air from the outside of the house -5celsius by now.
Dust filters are on all intake fans. Industrial electric cabinet is ip66, so I do not worry about dust and so on... Air flow is about 2000m3/h.

I see so that whole cabinet picture you have is not a different AC box. The cards are in there. What do the temps look like? IS there anything you would change up about your setup? Do you think you could put more cards in there or have them closer together?
Permonik

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 07:37:16 PM

Hi,

I see so that whole cabinet picture you have is not a different AC box. The cards are in there. What do the temps look like? IS there anything you would change up about your setup? Do you think you could put more cards in there or have them closer together?
Hi,
Yes, the gpus are inside. Temperatures are about 43-56degree celsius. It depends on the positions of the cards. And outside temp matters too. With -10 it is about 40for all cards(3600rpm on gpus fans). It is possible to install one more gpu into the middle - there is a space for one and in the air tunnel is cutted window for this, but for now it is sealed... For the second build I will make some changes. (I am not mentioning that I am already changed mobo from asrock h110 btc+ to asus mining expert. Asrock was a junk unable to run more than 9x Vegas, with 10x, there was no post, just fans spinning...)
The air tunnel with two fans inside - that was a very difficult to build because of airtight of all sides... So for the new build will be better to just cut windows for gpus exhaustion on the top of the cabinet, so you do not need to build air tunnel and hot air will flow most smoothly and without aditional two fans.
Anyway for the summer I am planing water cooling for each gpu, and with that, the number of gpus will be 15 or more...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: