Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:27:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can you use this to boost your laptop's mining power?  (Read 2892 times)
TiagoTiago (OP)

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 11:06:50 PM

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/graphics-cards/how-to-make-an-external-laptop-graphics-adaptor-915616
Laptop graphics have always been something of a joke performance wise. Nvidia and AMD do try, but cramming all those millions of transistors into a low-power, compact package just leads to massive expense and an inability to upgrade.

Wouldn't it be perfect if you could simply use a standard external graphics card to power your laptop's 3D graphics?

The good news is that you can. The suitably technical-sounding PE4H is just that; a passive PCI-e x16 to x1 adaptor, which enables you to plug an external graphics card into a laptop's ExpressCard slot. Currently we're only aware of it being available from the Taiwanese firm www.hwtools.net for around $100 including shipping.

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 01:38:50 AM

why use this when you can get a good board for that price?

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
deslok

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 02:28:15 AM

You could but you can also get a motherboard + cpu combo in almost the same price range with less headaches. (amd brazos boards are around a hundred all this card would  save you is a cheap hdd and some ram)

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 02:57:17 AM

You could take advantage of this by buying tons of crappy old laptops with EC slots for 10-20 bucks each, then your only cost is the graphics cards.

The problem is, that adapter costs $100. So you might just as well build a low end system and stick 1 GPU in it.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
deslok

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 02:14:14 PM

Where are you getting ec laptops for 20 dollars?

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 05:37:20 PM

http://www.synchrotech.com/product-usb/usb20_to_usb20_expresscards_host_adapter.html

Works with any laptop as long as it has a single USB port.

I've seen old laptops with USB 2.0 ports as low as 15 dollars used. 256mb RAM, pentium processors etc.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
deslok

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 06:53:27 PM

Ok not quite an ec laptop for 20. I have to wonder if you'll hit bandwidth constraints at that point

jme621

Activity: 360

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 07:07:46 PM

that little power supply switch thing on the makers website looks interesting though
melmo

Activity: 213
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 06:02:47 PM

I don't think that will work with a video card.  From the warnings in the product description, it sounds like it just passes the USB 2.0 lines from the expresscard interface.

http://www.synchrotech.com/product-usb/usb20_to_usb20_expresscards_host_adapter.html

Works with any laptop as long as it has a single USB port.

I've seen old laptops with USB 2.0 ports as low as 15 dollars used. 256mb RAM, pentium processors etc.
Pipesnake
Legendary

Activity: 1012
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 01:38:06 AM

http://www.netstor.com.tw/_03/products_turbobox.htm

Going to try one of these myself.

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██    █▄          ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██    ▀█                     
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
deslok

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 02:24:37 AM

that certainly looks interesting but you could build an entire system for less than what that costs.

Pipesnake
Legendary

Activity: 1012
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 04:17:37 AM

Yep didn't realize they were so ridiculously expensive.

Seems pointless to create something nobody will buy because your price-point is so absurd.

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██    █▄          ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██    ▀█                     
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
DrHaribo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1034

Needs more jiggawatts

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2011, 04:42:26 PM

Too bad the adapter is expensive, or this could have been a great idea. A cheap laptop with a weak CPU would suffice, and I would think that in general a laptop uses less electricity than a desktop.

▶▶▶ bitminter.com 2011-2020 ▶▶▶ pool.xbtodigital.io 2023-
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: