Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:42:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: would anyone buy a seamless spherical polypropylene house?  (Read 1667 times)
Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 03:21:25 AM

By my estimation a polypropylene sphere with a 25 foot diameter and 3 inch thick walls would cost ~35,000 to fabricate or ~70,000 for 6 inch thick wales ect... I went with 25 foot radius because that gives it about the same volume as a 1000 sq foot house with 8 foot ceilings (small but not too small). The entire structure would be produced from a single mold and fabricated as one piece, there would be no seams.

The advantages:

It would last for atleast hundreds, probably thousands, maybe tens of thousands, possibly even hundreds of thousands or millions of years with 0 maintenance. You would be establishing a legacy for your lineage for aeons to come. the flexibility of the material combined with the structural integrity of the spherical shape would make for incredible resilience, you could probably roll the thing down a mountain with out damage. It would be air and water tight meaning it would also be a sea faring vessel by default, perfect for starting decentralized seasteading communities or allowing one to move between national jurisdictions with ease should one find more welcoming political environments abroad. In the event of flooding you just drop anchor. Earthquakes and tornado wouldnt put a dent in this thing. (unfortunately not volcano resistant) The units would be produced near the sea so they could be transported by tug boat to any coastal region in the world fairly cheaply.

I have been thinking about this for years and i just cant get it out of my head. Again and again i come back to it. I really think its a good idea. What do you guys think? i made a post about this before and the general consensus was that it was a good idea but would be too expensive, well this time i did the math and 35k is really not too bad.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 03:26:50 AM

The majority of the cost in constructing a residence isn't the exterior walls it is the "everything else".  Water, electrical, windows, HVAC, interior walls/doors, closets, cabinets, fixtures, etc.  You would really need some deep pockets, enough to figure out how to integrate everything, and build some prototypes.  What is the insulation rating of 3" or 6" poly?  If it isn't inferior to conventional insulation this means the additional cost of having an sphere inside a sphere. 

If the $35K sphere ends up costing $500K to make it habitable because everything inside needs to be custom made then it really isn't worth it.  Right?  It is an interesting idea but I lot would depend on integration.
Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 03:31:12 AM

The majority of the cost in constructing a residence isn't the exterior walls it is the "everything else".  Water, electrical, windows, HVAC, interior walls/doors, closets, cabinets, fixtures, etc.  You would really need some deep pockets, enough to figure out how to integrate everything, and build some prototypes.

If the $35K sphere ends up costing $500K because everything inside needs to be custom made then it really isn't worth it.  Right?

ya your right but 35k is about what you expect to spend on just the foundation walls and roof of a normal house so its perfectly analogous in that sense. as far as the other stuff that goes inside most of it wouldn't need to be custom. a sink would still be a sink, a toilet would still be a toilet, a couch would still be a couch and a floor would still be a floor. Probably the plumbing and ventilation would need to be a bit customized, maybe a few other things.

as far as the insulation rating goes i really dont know but i have to assume it would be amazing. 6 inches of solid anything is going to outperform dry wall and that fluffy pink stuff.

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2013, 03:37:21 AM

what if you're in it and it rolls Sad
Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 03:40:11 AM

what if you're in it and it rolls Sad

it would have a ballast Grin

also you would want to dig atleast a little bit of a hole for it

solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 03:41:10 AM

A couple have been built already!

Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 03:42:00 AM

A couple have been built already!

that is neat!

vokain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2013, 03:46:21 AM

i'd try it out Smiley
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 03:47:48 AM

Sorry, anon136, I was teasing. But I like the principle of unusual eco-friendly houses.

Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 03:48:51 AM

i'd try it out Smiley

you dont by any chance happen to have contact information for any venture capitalists? Cheesy That's the only way anyone will be trying this idea out any time soon.

vokain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2013, 03:54:10 AM

i'd try it out Smiley

you dont by any chance happen to have contact information for any venture capitalists? Cheesy That's the only way anyone will be trying this idea out any time soon.

perhaps one, but I'm not quite sure I can convince him (or even myself Sad ) of a future profit potential. keep working on the business model then get back to me  Cheesy
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2013, 03:54:21 AM

The Monsanto House of the Future
100% synthetic materials.  Built by Monsanto at Disneyland in 1957, it was open for tours for a decade.  It held up fine, but was demolished in the late 1960s (the wrecking ball bounced off and they had to use saws) to make room for another attraction.

Rubbermaid's largest plastic shed.

Rubbermaid has a whole line of plastic sheds. They keep coming out with larger models. They could easily make a house if there was a market.

Fire resistance is a problem. 
vokain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2013, 03:55:51 AM

ew could you imagine choking on burning plastic fumes before succumbing to death
Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 03:58:23 AM

i'd try it out Smiley

perhaps one, but I'm not quite sure I can convince him (or even myself Sad ) of a future profit potential. keep working on the business model then get back to me  Cheesy

you really dont think there is a market for a house that can cheaply and fluidly transition between different political jurisdictions while simultaneously being virtually indestructible and a boat just for good measure? you are a hard man to please!

vokain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2013, 04:19:26 AM

i'd try it out Smiley

you really dont think there is a market for a house that can cheaply and fluidly transition between different political jurisdictions while simultaneously being virtually indestructible and a boat just for good measure? you are a hard man to please!

it wouldn't be a good boat :/ it also rivals the cost of a great house boat :/
it is presumably indestructible, so there's that

I guess if pirates had their choice they'd loot the house boat first

Hm, you're right, I guess I could see potential if you marketed it as a shelter against another flood of god's wrath. nuclear hideouts made some bank during the cold war
Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 04:58:24 AM

i'd try it out Smiley

it wouldn't be a good boat :/ it also rivals the cost of a great house boat :/
it is presumably indestructible, so there's that

I guess if pirates had their choice they'd loot the house boat first

Hm, you're right, I guess I could see potential if you marketed it as a shelter against another flood of god's wrath. nuclear hideouts made some bank during the cold war

no it wouldn't be a good boat this is true but it would make a better building block for a seastead community than a houseboat.

vokain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2013, 05:13:08 AM

why a ball, why not a more elliptical, longer shape
Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 02:12:13 PM

why a ball, why not a more elliptical, longer shape

sphere is the strongest shape for a structure. its the same principal as the arch. this is necessary to compensate for the malleability of polypropylene. if the malleability if polypropylene can be compensated for than that same malleability is what makes the structure virtually indestructible because it can absorb shocks.

FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 01:43:26 AM

I'd take some combination of box shapes over a sphere any and every day, not just for practical reasons, but for aesthetic reasons as well. To put it bluntly, boxes can be made strong enough to forsake the ugliness and impracticality of living inside a ball.

Clearly, architects of modern architecture agree:

http://archrecord.construction.com/residential/default.aspx

http://modresdes.blogspot.com/

http://shubinanddonaldson.com/modern-residential/
Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 01:56:19 AM

I've told you so many times that you are blocked firstassent. i dont understand how you can be so slow. what ever you wrote im not reading it. i dont value your input. you are rude and intellectually dishonest. go poison someone else's thread.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: