Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:02:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoin.co.th trading suspended  (Read 21714 times)
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2013, 06:50:57 AM

Ok, may be I'm not aware about legal procedures in Thailand.
it seems like sharia court, where judge makes decision according not to law but by their own opinion.

Obviously for there to be any penalty it would have to go through the courts.  ie Civil and/or Criminal charges would have to be brought and trials, appeals etc...

Any Guinea pig volunteers?

Maybe an American Goat will do... No need to bring pigs from Guinea.

how prescient

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dave111223 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2013, 07:19:29 AM

What he can't do is slander.

Chang Noi we both know the criminal defamation laws in Thailand are draconian.  If I found a toenail in my big mac and told people about it, I could be put in prision for up to 2 years if mcdonalds decided to press charges; unless I was able to prove that the reason I told people was not to harm mcdonalds in any way.

It's just a shame that you've chosen to import those laws into this environment so that a free and open discussion can no longer take place.
dave111223 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2013, 07:29:52 AM

What you do not understand is that what you already posted is slander. You uploading the real conversation is legal.

You are trying to hide behind the wrong law.

Edit: You have harmed Thailand by telling the world that BTC is illegal in Thailand, you really should either admit you were wrong, or post evidence that what you said is the case. Since you claim you have the evidence please post it!

I would love to here "the bankers" quote the laws where it says BTC is illegal. But you just do not have that and we all know it.

Chaang Noi you do realize that slander means "oral defamation"?
Chang Hum

Activity: 714
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 07:30:11 AM

What he can't do is slander.

Chang Noi we both know the criminal defamation laws in Thailand are draconian.  If I found a toenail in my big mac and told people about it, I could be put in prision for up to 2 years if mcdonalds decided to press charges; unless I was able to prove that the reason I told people was not to harm mcdonalds in any way.

It's just a shame that you've chosen to import those laws into this environment so that a free and open discussion can no longer take place.

That's nonsense, I've been working the "toenail burger" scam in Thailand for over two years. I've probably eaten near on a thousand bigmacs now and only ever paid for 2.
Chang Hum

Activity: 714
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 07:32:33 AM

What you do not understand is that what you already posted is slander. You uploading the real conversation is legal.

Edit: You have harmed Thailand by telling the world that BTC is illegal in Thailand, you really should either admit you were wrong, or post evidence that what you said is the case. Since you claim you have the evidence please post it!

I would love to here "the bankers" quote the laws where it says BTC is illegal. But you just do not have that and we all know it.

Chaang Noi you do realize that slander means "oral defamation"?

What foreigners don't come to Thailand for a bit of "oral defamation"?
dave111223 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2013, 07:33:46 AM

Chaang Noi you do realize that slander meaning "oral defamation"?

"Oral defamation is the malicious act of spreading untrue statements about someone with the intention to harm"

This is what you did to Thailand. Why I do not know. I suspect you are trying to find a reason to close your exchange in some sort of scam, maybe to avoid paying back investors.

But that is not the topic at hand. I asked you if you will post the evidence you claim you have. Will you are will you not?  

Chang Noi you do realize what "oral" is don't you?  Or did you skip that class at law school?
dave111223 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2013, 07:53:47 AM

Chang Noi as previously stated I'm not going to make any more comments on the source document.

At this point I'm merely here to defend my good name from your smear campaign.

If you want more information on the topic you should contact the BoT (which you are supposedly doing right now through your extensive network of contacts?).

I'm sure if you write to them they will be very willing to setup a meeting to discuss the legality of your usage of Bitcoin in Thailand; when you have done this please let us know.
dave111223 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2013, 08:01:37 AM

Typed or spoken we all know what you did and the same law applies.

I only point this out as it seems odd that someone claiming to have attended one of the top law schools and being knowledgeable of legal matters would not know the difference between libel and slander.
vokain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2013, 08:03:31 AM

dave111223 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2013, 08:13:15 AM

I'm mostly calling just to let them know what you have done to the image of Thailand. You clearly have no evidence so best of luck with all of that!

Well at least everyone here now knows for the records what Chang Noi is all about.  "Reporting" people...

I hope none of your neighbors are watching free cable...cuz Chang Noi will be there to dob them in.  Watch out jay walkers, Chang Noi's about.

There should be a new tag, in addition to scammer..."GRASS"
dave111223 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2013, 08:16:57 AM

When you attack BTCers who operate in Thailand then yes, I will respond.

How have I attacked any bitcoiners?  Your angst seems to be misdirected at best.

Anyway I am done with this conversation, you have been weighed, you have been measured and you have been found wanting.

Let us know when you've done all your fact checking, or grassing or whatever it is you are doing.
becoin
Legendary

Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 08:57:03 AM

I am glad you have quit the Thai BTC community and that is enough for me personally.
LOL... How has he quit the Thai BTC community?
vokain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2013, 09:00:52 AM

I am glad you have quit the Thai BTC community and that is enough for me personally.
LOL... How has he quit the Thai BTC community?

He did say he was advised to not do pretty much anything bitcoin related anymore, and he did say he followed that advice
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 10:36:40 AM

Thailand may have draconian defamation laws, but except for the criminal part (which is rarely if ever applied between private parties), they are barely worse than those in the UK.  Even in the United States, with our vaunted First Amendment, you can be dragged through court on a bullshit libel case for months or years (though with good legal representation you stand a much better chance of it just being thrown out of court without a trial and getting your attorney fees paid by the other side).

I seriously doubt the Bank of Thailand is getting into an argument about what it did or didn't say.  It is the central bank of Thailand, which makes its President or Chairman or whatever the equivalent of Ben Bernanke in the U.S.  This actually does make what the bank says some form of "the law" in Thailand.  It doesn't make him some kind of king who can just spout off jackass pronouncements that contradict existing statutory law.

The Bank of Thailand has a website, and there is nothing on it about Bitcoin.  If it has promulgated regulations about Bitcoin, I can't find them.  But they probably don't just translate the possibly tens of thousands of pages of regulations they have into English and publish them the instant they make them.

I would assume (basing this assumption on the idea that a central bank in Thailand acts like one in other countries) that before actually issuing regulations, there is a public comment period of some kind where the regulations are proposed, there are then hearings, which usually involve interested parties such as actual bankers or other business people in the regulated industry, there is at least some pretense of considering these opinions, then the regulation is promulgated and becomes effective.  The central bank issues documents saying what the regulation is, the actual regulations (often incomprehensible gobbledygook to anyone other than a lawyer), an executive summary purporting to explain the regulations in simple terms, stuff like this.

Where is this stuff?  

While I can understand a business being very concerned about even an informal statement by something like the central bank of the country where they're operating, hey, if Ben Bernanke said Bitcoin was illegal tomorrow I might not get rid of my BTC but I'd certainly shit myself and turn pale, when a central bank actually takes an official position, there's PAPER about it.

Even in the U.S., FinCEN has said some somewhat disturbing things about their view of Bitcoin, but what they've said on paper has been fairly reasonable.

Where's the paper on all this bullshit?  If it's in Thai, someone needs to find it and translate it.  

Whether OP or Goat, or another person, someone needs to do this, because the bullshit is starting to stink.
dave111223 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2013, 11:21:35 AM

Pretty sure there is nothing on paper.

Ill make a bounty for it.

Correct for once.  Did anyone actually read the source article?
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 11:27:11 AM

This is now also being reported by Heise, Germany's most important provider for IT news, Süddeutsche Zeitung, Germany's second largest daily newspaper and Der Standard, Austrias fourth largest daily newspaper.
dave111223 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2013, 11:36:21 AM

http://www.posttoday.com/เศรษฐกิจ-หุ้น/การเงิน/237451/ธปท-จับตาเฟดตัดสินคิวอี

http://asiancorrespondent.com/111332/has-bitcoin-been-banned-from-thailand/
Post Today cite BOT Governor Prasarn who states that in relation to the statement the Bitcoin company posted on their Web site, that the company contacted the BOT to request permission for the “money changer” business, but what they are doing is not exchanging of money. It may constitute being related to changes in the exchange rate. Therefore, we asked for suspension of activities through their Web site while we investigated. For now, we are liaising with relevant authorities to look at the details both the ICT (in relation to electronic transactions), Ministry of Finance, and the SEC before considering whether we can give a license or not.
becoin
Legendary

Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 11:38:33 AM

if Ben Bernanke said Bitcoin was illegal tomorrow I might not get rid of my BTC but I'd certainly shit myself and turn pale, when a central bank actually takes an official position
To not shit yourself and turn pale you just have to be prepared as it is the most likely scenario.
e4xit

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 12:45:21 PM
Last edit: July 31, 2013, 01:13:36 PM by e4xit

dave111223,

You claim to have had a meeting "with about 15 members of the Bank of Thailand in attendance" - unverified

You claim that they have told you "the following Bitcoin activities are illegal in Thailand: Unverified

• Buying Bitcoins
  • Selling Bitcoins
  • Buying any goods or services in exchange for Bitcoins
  • Selling any goods or services for Bitcoins
  • Sending Bitcoins to anyone located outside of Thailand
  • Receiving Bitcoins from anyone located outside of Thailand

You (suspiciously) deleted a post whereby you claimed that the meeting/source was "As credible as sitting in the meeting myself, listening to the words coming out of their mouths"- Suspicious

You have also said that "When a senior official at a central bank tells you point-blank, "buying or selling bitcoins is illegal"" -Unverified

You have also said that "Alt-coins were discussed at the meeting, same rules apply." - Unverified

You have also said that "...for there to be any penalty it would have to go through the courts..." Seems sound

You quoted your lawyer in Thialand as having said that "In my home country of America, the fundamental basis of law is that every act is LEGAL, unless there is a law that makes that act illegal.  Thailand’s fundamental basis of law is quite different – in Thailand, every act is ILLEGAL, unless there is a law (and process, and procedure) to make it legal." - Unverified

You then said that "I'll make no further comment on the source document as it is already comprehensive." - Source is dubious

Your comments have then moved away from the topic at hand and morphed into insulting other members, and calling them out on semantics.

You have also agreed that there is "...nothing on paper." - Unverified

I think it should be your duty, as you were alledgedly involved in this meeting first hand, and then proceeded to act as lead journalist in the matter, to clear some of these unverified claims up.

You will be aware from above posters, that your story has garnered world-wide attention, and, if reliable, then you of course should have nothing to hide....

The longer that you hide/don't respond/fail to provide evidence, the more it looks like you may have mis-interpreted something (or perhaps you lawyer mis-interpreted something, or perhaps your lawyer's translator mis-interpreted something, idk) and the more it looks as if this "Original Source" of yours (i.e. YOUR OWN WEBSITE) is just as credible as me, sitting here, saying that I just got off the phonewith Thailand, and guess what, they told me that "Bitcoin is legal"

Edit: Strikethrough re/
e4xit you are quoting the article as my words, please correct this.

Not your keys, not your coins.
CoinJoin, always.
dave111223 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2013, 01:00:03 PM

e4xit you are quoting the article as my words, please correct this.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: