Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 10:47:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: METAMASK "Copy Address to clipboard" bug or Error Between Keyboard And Chair ?  (Read 67 times)
Ti22 (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 24, 2017, 11:46:35 PM

Hi,

This is my situation : I purchased ERC20 tokens on an online exchange.

In order to secure them I installed Metamask for Chrome.

First I tested the wallet with a 100 token transfer. I made a copy/paste of the account address from Metamask and used this address to withdraw the tokens from the web site.

I don't remember if I copied the address from the "Copy address to clipboard" drop-down menu or if I used the "show QR code" option...

Everything went just fine and after a few minutes (and finding how to add the token's contract address to the address) I saw the tokens in the account.

This was a little bit more than three days ago.

Approximately 24 hours ago I decided to transfer the rest of the tokens to that same address.

This time, I used the "Copy address to clipboard" from the drop-down menu feature.

And the tokens never arrived :-(

After checking on etherscan and on the website whithdrawal page, I noticed that the addresses I had copied was different than the first address I had used for the test transfer : letters and numbers where exactly the same and correct, but the second address that had been copied had lot of capital letters where the other had mostly lower case.

I went back checking in the Metamax app and noticed that copying an address from the "Copy address to clipboard" drop-down menu's feature and copying the (supposedly) same address from the "show QR code" resulted in having to different presentation of the same suite of letters/numbers. the first full of capitals and the second with mostly lower case letters.

Here is an exemple of the same address copied with both methods (not the one used for the tokens) :

0x0345B093De463AFbeEeEaD80546258207020D0cF

0x0345b093de463afbeeeead80546258207020d0cf

Since I never got the tokens I guess there is no point in asking if the addresses are the same or not...

My question is : is this a bug or is it a known feature and am I the culprit (beside from the fact that I didn't check carefully enough even though after pasting the address I checked that the seven first letters matched the seven letters from the address displayed just below the account name in the in the Metamask app)

Other question : where did the tokens go ? Do I have a chance to see them back again ? Will them be resend to the transaction platform ? I know this question isn't related to Metamask, but t's quite vital for me...

If needed I can provide the addresses, and email or screen caps from the web platform regarding the transfers.

Thanks for your answers...
Etemind

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 24, 2017, 11:51:42 PM

I think you check Etherscan for your token.  Tokens do not appear instantly on metamask, you have to add it  with their details like ticker and number of decimals places. Etherscan and ethplorer can verify your transactions,  hope you check it there.

Ti22 (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 12:01:43 AM

I already checked etherscan, and the only visible transaction is the first one, the one I did as a test ...
And of course I added the contract address in Metamask where I can see the token sent for testing.

What I don't kniw is how important are lower/upper cases in an eth address ?

And if they are important why does Metamask copy an address two differents ways...

And finaly if addresses aren't case sensitive, where did my tokens go ?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: