Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 09:46:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »
  Print  
Author Topic: If bitcoin owner die. It means bitcoin also lost forever?  (Read 1956 times)
coinsocieties (OP)

Activity: 728
Merit: 501

io.ezystayz.com

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 12:25:36 PM

I just got this question in my mind. What will happen if no one knows about the pasword of his/her acount will it posibly deduct to the main supply of bitcoin? Example bitcoin was 21million supply and one man got 1 million bitcoin he was holding and suddenly he died no one can open his wallet is it posible that the remaining 20 million bitcoin forever?

████████                                         ▄▄▄▄                                                                       
     ██                                                 ███████      ██          ▄▄▄▄                                         
     ██              ████████   ██     ██   ██       ▀▀     ██       ███████       ██     ██   ████████
     ██████              ▄██▀   ██     ██     ▀██▄      ██████   ██      ██       ██     ██           ▄██▀
     ██                  ▄██▀       ██     ██         ▀██▄      ██       ██      ██       ██     ██       ▄██▀   
     ██              ▄██▀           ██     ██  ▄▄       ██      ██       ██      ██       ██     ██   ▄██▀       
     ████████  ████████    ▀█████   ███████      ██▄█   ███████▄█    ▀█████   ████████
                                         █▄    ▄██       ▀▀▀▀           ▀▀       ▀▀▀▀  ▀▀   █▄    ▄██                  
                                           ▀███▀                                                          ▀███▀                    

Powered by,

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitperson

Activity: 210
Merit: 119

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 12:27:56 PM

I just got this question in my mind. What will happen if no one knows about the pasword of his/her acount will it posibly deduct to the main supply of bitcoin? Example bitcoin was 21million supply and one man got 1 million bitcoin he was holding and suddenly he died no one can open his wallet is it posible that the remaining 20 million bitcoin forever?
Yes. But a fork might change that. As a current example, the Segwit2x fork that has been announced for 28 December proposes to redistribute Satoshi Nakamoto’s coins.

How to ask questions the smart way
When you’re happy with the answers in a thread you have started, please click ‘lock topic’ to prevent spam.
1AWrZWnN4ThpGB5z24WTzsoZRMqvLpDGYU
Chris314

Activity: 672
Merit: 266

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 12:42:11 PM

Yes, the 1 million bitcoin of the dead person will still exist, but won't move anymore because no one can make them move from a wallet to another.
This, so far, explains too why bitcoin supply is limited, and decreases with time. Now it's compensated by btc mined, but mining won't last forever (bitcoin income for miners decreases every 4 years).

Win Free Bitcoins every hour! - www.freebitco.in
free BTC every hour multiply hi-lo weekly lottery WIN a Lamborghini 30,000 usd contest BET on various events! 4% APR interest
★★★ 50% of my referral earnings back to you each week ★★★
coinsocieties (OP)

io.ezystayz.com

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 12:50:43 PM

Yes. But a fork might change that. As a current example, the Segwit2x fork that has been announced for 28 December proposes to redistribute Satoshi Nakamoto’s coins.

What do you mean redistribute? Is this new fork segwit2x will distribute a new coin to a current active bitcoin wallet adress? Is the old wallet adress that not active will not recieve a new fork segwet2x coins?

██                                                 ███████      ██          ▄▄▄▄                                         
     ██              ████████   ██     ██   ██       ▀▀     ██       ███████       ██     ██   ████████
     ██████              ▄██▀   ██     ██     ▀██▄      ██████   ██      ██       ██     ██           ▄██▀
     ██                  ▄██▀       ██     ██         ▀██▄      ██       ██      ██       ██     ██       ▄██▀   
     ██              ▄██▀           ██     ██  ▄▄       ██      ██       ██      ██       ██     ██   ▄██▀       
     ████████  ████████    ▀█████   ███████      ██▄█   ███████▄█    ▀█████   ████████

Powered by,
pxo.011

Activity: 266
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 12:55:23 PM

i think yes, but it depends on the market, maybe he/she trust someone and gave the private key just like a benificiary
davis196

Activity: 2968
Merit: 914

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 12:58:29 PM

This question is asked many times before.Why not just search around the forum,instead of posting new threads.If the bitcoins are stored in a cold storage-hardware wallet ,somebody could find it and conduct a brute force attack with some software and crack the password.If the bitcoins are on an online wallet,the company that runs the online wallet service could deactivate his account due to inactivity and get the bitcoins.

bitperson

Activity: 210
Merit: 119

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 12:59:30 PM

What do you mean redistribute? Is this new fork segwit2x will distribute a new coin to a current active bitcoin wallet adress? Is the old wallet adress that not active will not recieve a new fork segwet2x coins?
Well, this is what the project website at http://b2x-segwit.io says:

I promise that all BTC holders will receive not only B2X in the ratio of 1 to 1, but also a proportional number of Satoshi Nakamoto`s Bitcoins as a reward for their commitment to progress.

This has been interpreted to mean that the forked coin would, in some way or another, redistribute Satoshi's coins among other addresses. How 'Satoshi Nakamoto`s Bitcoins' would be defined (after all, it's not like they would be marked with his name) and how the redistribution would actually occur is unknown.

How to ask questions the smart way
When you’re happy with the answers in a thread you have started, please click ‘lock topic’ to prevent spam.
1AWrZWnN4ThpGB5z24WTzsoZRMqvLpDGYU
CryptoTamer

Activity: 364
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2017, 01:01:17 PM

Bitcoin remains 21million in Blockchain but because the owner of 1million Bitcoin dies and nobody can access the wallet so only 20million Bitcoins can be used / accessed
Only Bitcoin owned by Satoshi will be redistributed or all old inactive Bitcoin addresses?
coinsocieties (OP)

io.ezystayz.com

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 01:03:12 PM

i think yes, but it depends on the market, maybe he/she trust someone and gave the private key just like a benificiary

Maybe you did not realy understand about my question right? My question is what if the person die’s and no one realy know and no one can open he/she’s acount. The point is the lost bitcoin will deduct to the main supply of bitcoin because no one can move that. Just like a lost treasure or something?