Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:00:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Building a rig - 6x RX580 or 6x used NVIDIA 1070's  (Read 120 times)
GizmoOG (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 12:31:49 PM

So I'm thinkin about builing a rig, whereas my budget lies around $3-4k tops. The thing is, RX580 is about $300 in the cheapest store right now, while the gtx 1070 sits at $550. This is new condition however. On the secondary market there is very rarely any rx 580's for sale, but if I'm gonna buy this one I'm just gonna buy a bunch of new ones for $300/each. I can get a 1070 for $350 in new condition, but that is only one. The rest I'm probably gonna have buy for retail price, or maybe get lucky and find some used ones for around $300-350. This might take a lot of time though, so might not be worth the effort unless the 1070 is remarkably better in performance, which to my understanding, they aren't. Performance depends on the coins you want to mine obviously. I'm gonna be mining ethereum or/and zcash. I have one 770 lying around, and I'm already running sli 1070 in my computer, so I'm thinking about just putting that 770 back in my computer and use the two I have in my computer currently and put them in my rig, but we'll see.
Was considering for a long to buy a few antminers, but now with the recent price bump it's not going to happen. Also quite risky to have all your equipment invested into the few coins that is based on the Sha-256 algo, incase btc goes sideways.
I'm getting about 40MH/s on the Lyra2REv2 algo, isn't that pretty good? People seem to be averaging around 31-32 with the 1070, so maybe it depends on the model? Smiley
Any thoughts?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
clems

Activity: 171
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 01:34:42 PM

You have to think differently.

Some cards are good for one or two algorithm some for others.
RX 580 are good for Ethash + Cryptonight (ETH,Monero,ETN...)

It will really depend on what you want to mine.

You can check https://whattomine.com/ to have an overview of different card.

And think about Hash/PWR because electricity have an important cost on mining.

I have one RIG of 6 RX 580 Nitro + 8G

On cryptonight: ETN I have Hash > 5000H/s for PWR < 800W
On Ethash: ETH Hash > 180 mh/s for PWR < 1000W

So ~200W and 200W in one year cost money.

Ref HiveOS https://hiveos.farm?ref=3665
Promocode HIVEOS: IMPASSENET (10 dollars on your account)
GizmoOG (OP)

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 01:57:43 PM

These numbers don't seem too bad for one 1070 in my opinion. https://i.gyazo.com/9b03a6d3b707e951e70a42ab60fed794.png
Can someone explain to me how nicehash works? I know it swaps between what is most profitable for you at the time being, so does this mean I will be mining all sorts of coins? And if so, I still get paid in btc??
Lyra is vertcoin, equihash is zcash right? Once I get my rig setup I'll probably use something else than nicehash, but nicehash actually seems to be giving me good speeds in my opinion.
GizmoOG (OP)

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 02:07:16 PM

You have to think differently.

Some cards are good for one or two algorithm some for others.
RX 580 are good for Ethash + Cryptonight (ETH,Monero,ETN...)

It will really depend on what you want to mine.

You can check https://whattomine.com/ to have an overview of different card.

And think about Hash/PWR because electricity have an important cost on mining.

I have one RIG of 6 RX 580 Nitro + 8G

On cryptonight: ETN I have Hash > 5000H/s for PWR < 800W
On Ethash: ETH Hash > 180 mh/s for PWR < 1000W

So ~200W and 200W in one year cost money.
True. If my powertarget is set to 120% does that mean it will be using 150W*1.20? (180w)
I'll be mining on equahash and maybe some verge, so 1070's should be good? Cheesy

Lieldoryn

Activity: 630
Merit: 272

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 02:07:38 PM

RX 580 I like more but I don't recommend you to buy these GPU second hand. You don't know how they worked in the mining business. They can be overheated. They certainly require replacement of thermal paste. On this equipment there is no guarantee. The payback period of these GPU 7-10 months. It seems to me that you can not pay back. It is better to buy a new one.
GizmoOG (OP)

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 02:15:55 PM
Last edit: December 25, 2017, 02:27:53 PM by GizmoOG

RX 580 I like more but I don't recommend you to buy these GPU second hand. You don't know how they worked in the mining business. They can be overheated. They certainly require replacement of thermal paste. On this equipment there is no guarantee. The payback period of these GPU 7-10 months. It seems to me that you can not pay back. It is better to buy a new one.
I will be getting the receipt for the cards I buy, and here in Norway there is a reclamation rule that basically gives you the right to return the product in cases of failure within 5 years of purchase, so I think it's all good. So you think its gonna take me that long to pay these cards back? I am mining with NiceHash approx $4/day at equihash/lyra. With 6 cards I should be making atleast $20 a day, and I'm taking into consideration that these coins will very likely increase in value over time, so it's not gonna take that long as far as I can tell. $600/month - 20kwh/day which is about $60/month. 3 months I should've made my money back considering I get the 1070's at around $300-350 each, and this is even if the coins that I mine don't rise in value. Or is there something I'm forgetting here? :p
These numbers seems to be fluctiating quite a bit Shocked Now suddenly I'm gaining $8/day https://i.gyazo.com/3f29b2c79ead59bd732c846b27513bab.png
clems

Activity: 171
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 02:32:03 PM

Saphire  have better fan than MSI. and agree with you about buying new one (due to Mod bios...) except if 2nd hand are still under guarantee.
Just found 1 2nd hand Saphir RX 570 for less than 150 euro with 1.5 year guarantee.

Ref HiveOS https://hiveos.farm?ref=3665
Promocode HIVEOS: IMPASSENET (10 dollars on your account)
GizmoOG (OP)

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 02:52:15 PM

Saphire  have better fan than MSI. and agree with you about buying new one (due to Mod bios...) except if 2nd hand are still under guarantee.
Just found 1 2nd hand Saphir RX 570 for less than 150 euro with 1.5 year guarantee.

The RX series are really hard to find on the secondary market in my country, there are only people trying to sell it for stupid amounts of money because they know it is a very cabable card for mining, therefore they think people will pay more for it.. I'm not sure wether I should mine eth or zec/verge yet, it all depends on what cards I can get cheaper I suppose. There's a 3 year guarantee on all cards, and I will be making sure I have a few years left off the warranty so I can atleast pay the cost of them before they take the night.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: