Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 04:29:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Thailand Bans Bitcoin  (Read 3102 times)
Vinnigar (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 11:00:43 PM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/currency/10210022/Bitcoins-banned-in-Thailand.html#disqus_thread

This cant be good news for the price!
Chalkbot
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 11:07:06 PM

Yes, government bannings have always resulted in reduced prices!

...if only.
Vinnigar (OP)

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 11:15:56 PM

...if only.

I wasn't aware of any country that has banned Bitcoins before!?
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 11:17:39 PM

...if only.

Not so straightforward as that. I had some earlier thoughts on this subject: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=211507.msg2220457#msg2220457
Tirapon

Activity: 898
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 11:19:48 PM

In a statement on its website, Bitcoin said it had given a presentation to the Bank of Thailand about how the currency works in a bid to operate in the country.

When did Bitcoin become sentient and able to give presentations to banks? And when did it get its own website?
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 11:24:57 PM

In a statement on its website, Bitcoin said it had given a presentation to the Bank of Thailand about how the currency works in a bid to operate in the country.

When did Bitcoin become sentient and able to give presentations to banks? And when did it get its own website?
I took that to mean the Bitcoin Foundation... just assuming, though.
Operatr

Activity: 798

www.DonateMedia.org

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2013, 11:28:33 PM

I don't see how they can ban jack squat unless they banned their whole Internet too

MonadTran

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 11:29:41 PM

Thailand Bans Bitcoin

I heard they banned prostitution too.

I especially like how they are presenting this: "due to lack of existing applicable laws, the following Bitcoin activities are illegal". Can be extended to anything: "due to lack of existing applicable laws, breathing is illegal".
Tirapon

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 11:32:32 PM

I took it to mean that the journalist replaced 'Bitcoin Co. Ltd' with just 'Bitcoin', which could be quite misleading to the uninformed reader.
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2013, 11:35:28 PM

The entity in question is some Thai company called "Bitcoin Co., Ltd". Apparently they operate (or, well, used to operate) a currency exchange.

Whoever wrote the article was either pretty confused, or didn't realize that conflating Bitcoin as a whole with this Thai currency exchange would be pretty confusing to readers.

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
Vinnigar (OP)

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 11:37:33 PM

I took it to mean that the journalist replaced 'Bitcoin Co. Ltd' with just 'Bitcoin', which could be quite misleading to the uninformed reader.

Yes, i took it to mean that too. But a misleading article nonetheless.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/07/thailand-bans-using-bitcoin-in-any-way-local-startup-reports/

This clears it up a bit!
Tirapon

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 11:42:15 PM

The entity in question is some Thai company called "Bitcoin Co., Ltd". Apparently they operate (or, well, used to operate) a currency exchange.

Whoever wrote the article was either pretty confused, or didn't realize that conflating Bitcoin as a whole with this Thai currency exchange would be pretty confusing to readers.

Agreed - My impression was that whoever wrote the article was in a rush to publish the sensationalist news, and didn't want to waste time making sure they got their facts straight.
Tirapon

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 11:56:05 PM

To be fair though, if this does turn out to be true, it doesn't make much difference who gave the presentation to the bank. And I'll be very dissapointed in Thailand being the first country to ban cryptocurrency outright.
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2013, 11:56:56 PM

Also, if Goat is to be believed, the guys that "Bitcoin Co Ltd" met with aren't even officers of the law - they're just some high-level bankers who gave their opinion that bitcoins were probably illegal. So even the "Bitcoin illegal in Thailand" part has a good chance of being misleading.

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938

What's a GPU?

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 11:58:36 PM

Also, if Goat is to be believed, the guys that "Bitcoin Co Ltd" met with aren't even officers of the law - they're just some high-level bankers who gave their opinion that bitcoins were probably illegal. So even the "Bitcoin illegal in Thailand" part has a good chance of being misleading.

I highly trust Goat, so I know what side of the argument I'm on...

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2013, 12:42:57 AM

oh, but it is!

Next headline will read " NO ONE CARES, THERE IS NO STOPPING BTC, AHHHHHHHH BUY BUY  BUY! "

or somthing to that effect...

byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 12:58:16 AM

US bans cocaine, price plummets...O WAIT.

BitPirate

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

RMBTB.com: The secure BTC:CNY exchange. 0% fee!

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 02:15:09 AM

Thailand hasn't banned Bitcoin -- it's just said that there are no laws governing it, and so therefore it is illegal. Many bureaucratic countries operate on this principle.

Big fail on the part of Bitcoin co, ltd for getting themselves into this situation, and then messing up the communications at the end of it.

superduh

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 04:31:50 AM

implosion the value goes to -100

ok
j05h

Activity: 17

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 05:34:11 AM

They may just be trying to avoid confusion.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/฿
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: