Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 08:16:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Coinbase vs BitcoinQT for wallet?  (Read 861 times)
CrashX (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 101

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 03:53:31 AM

I'm new to bitcoin. Been mining for a few days now, with my old computer.

My question is should I use coinbase or BitcoinQT? or which one do you consider to be better.

And hello everybody...
arlekyn13

Activity: 288
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 04:56:38 AM

With Coinbase you trust someone else to keep your bitcoins. With BitcoinQT you have exclusive control over your bitcoins.

1CmrswU7JYpi9WNC8EHWCV3aam1FJsW2Zu - to show appreciation for my work
sevenVII

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 05:09:09 AM

I would go for BitcoinQT - it is the original and you have full control over your wallet.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 05:14:48 AM

Right, BitcoinQt is better if you can/want to run a full node that stores the blockchain. It protects the network as you'll be verifying everything yourself.

Online wallets are not less secure for example. I might be a little biased, but Inputs.io's security measures makes it more secure than an encrypted bitcoin-qt:

1) account & IP lock outs, whereas with Qt someone with absolutely massive computational power can break your encryption if the password wasn't secure enough
2) Blocking of some IPs from logging in, such as Tor and proxies / VPNs, which means that if someone does steal your coins you have a IP to go after.
3) Built with the best web security standards.

Online wallets does require you to trust the operator through.
AliceWonder

Activity: 168

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 05:53:43 AM

If I was mining, I would create a paper wallet. It will likely be awhile before you have a significant amount, just let it go to the paper wallet while it builds up coins until you have enough to make it worth importing.

QuarkCoin - what I believe bitcoin was intended to be. On reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/
CrashX (OP)

Merit: 101

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 05:57:49 AM

If I was mining, I would create a paper wallet. It will likely be awhile before you have a significant amount, just let it go to the paper wallet while it builds up coins until you have enough to make it worth importing.

Whats a paper wallet?

Sorry im a noob. I began last week. :-/
bitcoindigi

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 08:34:21 AM

I'd say most desktops are more open than blockchain.info or inputs.io. Only thing is you have to trust the admins. For some small amounts it's ok though
batt01

Activity: 279

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 09:52:16 AM

Whats a paper wallet?

Sorry im a noob. I began last week. :-/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsyPfiENwQU
https://blockchain.info/wallet/paper-tutorial

Remember, Google is your friend.

Hfleer

Activity: 448

Changing avatars is currently not possible.

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 09:59:09 AM

I use a lite wallet, electrum, for regular small transaction, and Armory for cold storage.  Between those two I would tend to trust BitcoinQT over an online wallet.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
AliceWonder

Activity: 168

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 10:38:35 PM

I'd say most desktops are more open than blockchain.info or inputs.io. Only thing is you have to trust the admins. For some small amounts it's ok though

But it is not difficult to secure a desktop and with a paper wallet, an insecure desktop or an insecure server is not an issue.

btw it's not just the admins you have to trust with a web wallet. Hosting company, security of your browser, etc.

QuarkCoin - what I believe bitcoin was intended to be. On reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/
steveg

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 11:22:43 PM

I agree to that,i think coinbase may be good as a wallet. High level of security,but low one of the support,sometimes they have problems with their sync(
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: