Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 09:39:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does it neccesary to backup wallet every time?  (Read 907 times)
CoinBuzz (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 04:31:56 AM

I'm aware that i should backup my wallet.dat file, but seems i have only 1account in it, and i think it should contains the public & private key of that account, Should i back it up everyday? OR backing it up once is enough just in case of troubles?

I looked at the size of the file, when i get new transactions to my account, this size will be changed, therefore i think it should contains balance too, but in case of trouble, if i have a wallet.dat file of f.e 2 years ago, is it going to work and update or it backed up recently ?

Join ASAP: FREE BITCOIN
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 04:47:01 AM

It's a good idea to back up your wallet file regularly, particularly after a major transaction. Back ups are good only for the next 100 or so outgoing transactions, otherwise you run the risk of not being able to access coins sent to change addresses in your wallet that you do not see.

Also, backup after encrypting your wallet.

CoinBuzz (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 06:44:40 AM

It's a good idea to back up your wallet file regularly, particularly after a major transaction. Back ups are good only for the next 100 or so outgoing transactions, otherwise you run the risk of not being able to access coins sent to change addresses in your wallet that you do not see.

Also, backup after encrypting your wallet.

What's your suggestion for back up period?

Join ASAP: FREE BITCOIN
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2013, 08:32:45 AM

What's your suggestion for back up period?
After you have done 50 total of these or any actions which deplete an address from the key pool:

- Manually create a new address in Bitcoin
- Send money to someone
CrashX

Activity: 238
Merit: 101

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 10:19:49 PM

I'm new to bitcoin.

But after running Bitcoin QT for a while, and reading about paper wallets, backups, and so on.

I figure a online wallet will be better, I check with a few providers and I decided to go with blockchain.

they give allot of options for backup, including paper wallet.

If something goes wrong with your computer, you forgot to backup, you lost your private key. you'll be in trouble.

Allot of people think that Bitcoin QT /offline is a better option. But I think having it online is better way to manage it.

NOW IM MIGHT BE WRONG. BEEN MINING AND USING BITCOIN FOR A WEEK. -- SO DONT TAKE MY WORD.

sorry for the caps, lol.
lmn123

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 02:38:31 PM

The big criticism is trusting the security of online wallets. With online wallets, while very convenient, the security is beyond your control. Personally, I store a small amount of BTC online and on my phone and the rest goes to a secure wallet on my laptop. There's lots of posts and hints on this site about keeping a secure wallet. I recommend searching around and trying things out to see what you like best.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: