Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 06:11:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: List of Bitcoin Hostile (and friendly) Banks  (Read 171452 times)
joesmoe2012 (OP)

Activity: 882
Merit: 501

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2013, 05:54:14 PM

okay, I have changed the format of the list a little bit as well. Instead of having two lists, one for good banks and one for bad, i've now made it so that its just one big list sorted by country.

what?

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2013, 02:48:03 AM

lol

johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 05:23:01 AM

OP should correct the original post, Swedish SEB bank just informed me to not use my account to do bitcoin related transactions

bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2013, 05:24:25 AM

okay, I have changed the format of the list a little bit as well. Instead of having two lists, one for good banks and one for bad, i've now made it so that its just one big list sorted by country.

seventoes

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 08:02:42 PM

The new-ish online-only bank Simple are Bitcoin friendly! I asked the other day and their response was:

Hi,

We won't close your account because of a transfer from Coinbase. I didn't even know until recently that people were having that problem at other banks! So weird. Anyway, you're safe making that transfer into Simple.

Have a good night!

-Caitlin

The response specifically only mentions Coinbase while I asked about Bitcoin and exchanges in general, but based on their attitude towards everything else I'd say they're completely bitcoin-friendly.
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2013, 08:46:28 AM

Too bad I just closed my simple
But you have an oversight, they are not a bank, find the real servicer

kik1977

Activity: 593
Merit: 505

Wherever I may roam

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 11:22:04 AM

If interested, I used the following banks to fund accounts both with MtGox and Bitstamp:

Italy: Fineco Bank (Banca Fineco)
Switzerland: UBS

No problems from them; last wire transfer done 1 month ago. Hope this helps. OP if you need more info you can PM me.

We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it is forever
Isokivi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2013, 03:00:24 PM

I guess this is as friendly as it gets:
https://www.mtgox.com/press_release_20131219.html

Bitcoin trinkets now on my online store: btc trinkets.com <- Bitcoin Tiepins, cufflinks, lapel pins, keychains, card holders and challenge coins.
PolkRB

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2013, 09:57:32 PM

Too bad I just closed my simple
But you have an oversight, they are not a bank, find the real servicer

If you don't mind me asking, Why did you close it? I'm considering signing up with them and was wondering if there was anything you didn't like?

thanks.
qiwoman

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 08:42:28 PM

Des anyone know which banks in Canada allow bitcoin businesses to open business accounts? I have been approached by a U.K company wanting to expand in other countries to open a branch in Canada so anyone know which banks are Pro bitcoin business friendly please pm me or post here thanks. Smiley
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 01:30:49 AM

Des anyone know which banks in Canada allow bitcoin businesses to open business accounts? I have been approached by a U.K company wanting to expand in other countries to open a branch in Canada so anyone know which banks are Pro bitcoin business friendly please pm me or post here thanks. Smiley

It's fairly difficult in Canada now with the Banks, I would say it depends on what type of business you want to create as you can see through the Virtex Thread, if you want to try perhaps do so with a Credit Union
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=218435.380

Someones complaint
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=341066.0

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Suikoden

Activity: 22

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 09:38:46 AM
Last edit: January 16, 2014, 09:49:47 AM by Suikoden

Anyone from the US able to chime in on banks that are friendly towards bitcoin? Specifically, to do deposits/withdrawals from Coinbase and Bitstamp with minimal fuss (amounts upwards of $10,000). Most of the information that came up in my search was a few to several months old. Just want to make sure that it's still accurate.

I've seen mention that Bank of America is pretty friendly towards it. Is this still true?

Any others that are known to not make a fuss about Coinbase/BitStamp with amounts up to $10,000? Perhaps the online banks (like Ally)?

EDIT: I should clarify. When I say minimal fuss, I mean that the bank won't constantly call me every time a deposit comes in, or worse, reverse the deposit, freeze my account, or outright deny me using my own money to purchase bitcoins from BitStamp/Coinbase.
joesmoe2012 (OP)

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2014, 04:11:50 PM

Anyone from the US able to chime in on banks that are friendly towards bitcoin? Specifically, to do deposits/withdrawals from Coinbase and Bitstamp with minimal fuss (amounts upwards of $10,000). Most of the information that came up in my search was a few to several months old. Just want to make sure that it's still accurate.

I've seen mention that Bank of America is pretty friendly towards it. Is this still true?

Any others that are known to not make a fuss about Coinbase/BitStamp with amounts up to $10,000? Perhaps the online banks (like Ally)?

EDIT: I should clarify. When I say minimal fuss, I mean that the bank won't constantly call me every time a deposit comes in, or worse, reverse the deposit, freeze my account, or outright deny me using my own money to purchase bitcoins from BitStamp/Coinbase.

Try IAFCU.

Suikoden

Activity: 22

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 05:35:20 PM

Try IAFCU.

They're still bitcoin-friendly (or at least neutral)? They were one of the first ones I looked at due to this thread, and the articles I saw had said they were backing away from bitcoin. These were dated back in September/October or so. Is/was that not the case?

Anyone using IAFCU for buying/selling bitcoins still?

I suppose I'll give them a call today to see if I can get a straight answer.
KSV

Activity: 398
Merit: 250

SVERIGES VIRTUELLA VALUTAVÄXLING

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2014, 02:49:52 PM

OP should correct the original post, Swedish SEB bank just informed me to not use my account to do bitcoin related transactions

confirming this - they appear to be bitcoin friendly, its a pretence. They are not - thats the truth.

Trade Bitcoins @ FYB-SE ---> https://www.fybse.se
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1849

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 08:01:58 PM

Just spent about half an hour at my local USBank to withdraw some money, most of which came from a CoinBase deposit. I was told that if I made too many more deposits from there, they would probably close my account. For my protection, apparently - something to do with transaction reversals. The bank manager probably didn't understand that bitcoin transactions aren't reversible, and that the exchange is basically buying and selling as a commodity so as long as their dollars aren't recalled (which is a risk with any deposit from any source ever, and accounted for in the process) the deposit is just as guaranteed as anything else. Not too happy about that.

Hopefully the other, local bank where my business accounts are will be a little more polite about it.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
skivrmt

Activity: 994

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 08:05:16 PM

I use a national KeyBank account with Coinbase and have never had any issues with them.  I've never asked them about it, but I do a lot of transactions in and out of the account and those transactions are just part of the daily transactions.  Yet. Smiley
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 08:05:34 PM

The internet credit union is located in NJ, not CA.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
prasnik

Activity: 10

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2014, 02:48:53 PM

Can anyone shed light on direct experiences with major US banks that have been bitcoin friendly? we're a US based start-up looking to find someone who won't screw us over just because we work in the btc space. Undecided
joesmoe2012 (OP)

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2014, 10:32:56 PM

The internet credit union is located in NJ, not CA.

This is not correct. It's the Internet Archive Federal Credit Union (IAFCU) and their first branch and ATM are located in san francisco area.

They are bitcoin friendly, I've seen the people who build the bank speak at multiple bitcoin conferences/other events specifically about this. It's one of the main reasons they built this bank.

Pretty much any US bank isn't going to have an issue with an occassional coinbase transaction. HOwever since coinbase doesn't batch their transactions, if you make a couple dozen transactions in a day, you're going to have a couple dozen ACH to/from your bank account - your bank won't like that.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: