Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 11:35:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you get Internet to your mining rigs?  (Read 201 times)
hous26 (OP)

Activity: 462
Merit: 115

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 03:34:05 AM

Both of my rigs are connected directly to my router but I was planning on moving them to another room.  Do you use a wifi usb stick, direct connection to modem or use an ethernet adapter that runs through your electrical wiring?

trinitrate

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 03:45:06 AM

Classic wisdom is hardwire FTW.   That being said its not always practical. 

I have 5 antminers that Im running off of 2 WIFI routers in bridge mode (repeater) which seems to work just fine.  Just make sure your not placing anything in a dead spot with questionable wifi.

If only costs you $30 to try it.   If you start seeing rejected packets or high latency, reconsider your location or equipment.

gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 03:56:25 AM

Both of my rigs are connected directly to my router but I was planning on moving them to another room.  Do you use a wifi usb stick, direct connection to modem or use an ethernet adapter that runs through your electrical wiring?

Others have had sucess with the ethernet over electrical wiring adapters and I thought I would give it a shot.  I didn't go cheap on them and ended up sending them back to Amazon the next day.  I have no idea why, but every time I plugged them in, my wifi security camera system starting going crazy.  In the end, it wasn't worth it to me to spend the time screwing around with them.  I'll admit, I didn't put much effort into trying to get them to work properly, because I kept thinking that I spent $100 on them when I could have just bought a 75ft cat6 cable for $20.  Sure running the cable might take an hour or so if you have to drill multiple holes to get it where you want it, but it's one less thing to troubleshoot when you have issues.  

I personally would not use wifi, but I'm sure some people are doing it and I'm sure it is working just fine for them.  Hardwire is the way to go for anything, if you want stability, in my opinion.

I just ended up buying a 75ft cat6 cable and running it through the ceiling in my office (where my router is) to the room upstairs where my mining rigs go to live.  I have it plugged into one of the four ports on my router and into a gigabit switch in my mining rig room.  

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
P00P135

Activity: 1123
Merit: 136

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 04:03:20 AM

Both of my rigs are connected directly to my router but I was planning on moving them to another room.  Do you use a wifi usb stick, direct connection to modem or use an ethernet adapter that runs through your electrical wiring?

Easy to turn an old phone line or cable connect into an Ethernet jack, or use power line adapters if you don't have access to those in the room you are moving too.  I would avoid Wifi as mining with a lot of GPU's can cause electromagnetic interference with your wifi signal.
the3dwizard

Activity: 17

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 04:04:19 AM

I use a Linksys N300 Wi-Fi Wireless Router (e1200) and put DD-WRT on it.  Then run it in client bridge mode, this bridges it wirelessly to your router.    You can plug up to four rigs into it though I only have one right now and they pick up their IP address from your router.  Works pretty well.
gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 04:08:47 AM

Classic wisdom is hardwire FTW.   That being said its not always practical. 

I love the idea of wireless so much and always have, I just don't trust it for stability.  Sometimes it works great, other times not so much.  I have a wifi security camera system that was horrible before I got a decent wifi router.  Now it's pretty much never offline.  In that case, it wasn't very practical for me to run ethernet to every single camera in and outside of my house.

In the case of running ethernet to one location where it currently doesn't exist, I'd just take the time to do it.  Make one cable run to a switch in your mining room.  Depending on the location of the router and the location of your mining room, it may not be super easy, but I'm happy that I made the choice to do it.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
Unknown Suspect

Activity: 17

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 04:24:27 AM

I ran cat-5 from my hp procurve (already in my basement) to an eight-port switch on my shelving rack. If you're running your operation in your detached garage or an outbuilding and you already have 75-ohm (TV) coax ran to the building, then get a set of these DECA Ethernet to Coax adapters http://a.co/gyipPwP. I have a PoE switch in my detached garage with several HD IP cameras and I've never had any issues since I installed these. I formerly used a WiFi bridge and I would run into throughput issues. The DECA units solved that issue. I suppose you could also use the DECA units for interior runs of 75-ohm coax cable in order to have a "hard wire" solution. I've also read good anecdotes about the adapters that make the network go through the power outlets too.
Agozyen

Activity: 672
Merit: 252

Until the end

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 04:32:03 AM

A separate router connected to my main router.  I run a cable to my mining room, set the other router up there and connect via cables.  I wouldn't screw around with wireless for mining.
pix530

Activity: 49

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 07:23:16 AM

I am looking for wireless mid-term solution. Have strong signal. Just need to try it with stick.
Oakey22

Activity: 488
Merit: 322

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 08:18:46 AM

I use an ethernet switch that is then connected to my router. Keeps it tidy with just the 1 cable going there.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: