Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 11:00:51 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: cheapest possible way to mine  (Read 260 times)
slickskin (OP)

Activity: 36
Merit: 5

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 05:23:05 AM

Could I theoretically just buy one or two external GPUS and plug them into an old laptop I no longer use and then mine on that laptop?

This as an alternative to buying all the other components of a rig like the ram, and monitor, and cpu and all that stuff.
DevelopmentBank

Activity: 406
Merit: 110

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 06:24:35 AM

Yes. I've considered doing this as well. Primarily because of the portability and especially because my office is very generous with electricity.

I was about to pull the trigger and buy an external GPU enclosure (i was looking at Razer's) but I realized that my spare laptop did not have a thunderbolt 3 connection. Since there is no other way to support external GPUs without this, you would have to own a laptop that has this thunderbolt connection (or buy an adapter?). Given that other components are cheaper than a spare laptop for mining, I just decided to build a normal desktop based mining rig.
FatAnt

Activity: 86
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 07:33:19 AM

You asked about the "cheapest possible way to mine".

If you're on a tight budget, don't want to wait for hard-to-find hardware, you could always do some hashing by hand using pencil and paper. 

see: http://www.righto.com/2014/09/mining-bitcoin-with-pencil-and-paper.html
Marvell2

Activity: 1148
Merit: 132

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 08:47:49 AM

If you're on a tight budget, don't want to wait for hard-to-find hardware, you could always do some hashing by hand using pencil and paper. 

LOL youre so wrong for this
buzzkillb

Activity: 1021
Merit: 324

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 10:20:10 AM

Is there a pool for this?  Tongue
d0nsly

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 11:47:52 AM

Could I theoretically just buy one or two external GPUS and plug them into an old laptop I no longer use and then mine on that laptop?

This as an alternative to buying all the other components of a rig like the ram, and monitor, and cpu and all that stuff.
cheapest way might likely not seem to be the efficient way
eddex

Activity: 31

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 02:28:46 PM

Cool link! But I doubt it'd be profitable considering the amount of pencils and paper you would use  Grin

On topic: Check out some CPU-only coins. You wont need to buy any new hardware to mine those and laptops are quite power efficient.
slickskin (OP)

Activity: 36
Merit: 5

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 01:03:43 AM

Lol, funny.

Basically I'm just asking if I could make the same amount by plugging an external GPU into a laptop as I would by building a rig with that same GPU and the other components.
FatAnt

Activity: 86

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 03:07:04 AM

What type of laptop do you have that lets you plug one or two external GPUs into it?  Seems like a rare one.

Maybe you've already seen the info at:
https://www.itnews.com/article/2984716/laptop-computers/how-to-transform-your-laptop-into-a-gaming-powerhouse-with-an-external-graphics-card.html

If you go that route, get a GPU that makes sense to eventually install in a 'standard' mining rig someday.
Junkbarman

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 03:11:09 AM

It only took me 600 days to solve my first block, beat that!
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2017, 03:15:21 AM

Lol, funny.

Basically I'm just asking if I could make the same amount by plugging an external GPU into a laptop as I would by building a rig with that same GPU and the other components.

The short answer to your question is "yes". Usually bandwidth tends to be the bottleneck for gamers that want to use another GPU via an external connection. (Before thunderbolt & USB-C options were available, some people would mess around connecting desktop graphics cards to their laptops via mPCIe.) However, for mining purposes, bandwidth usually isn't a big concern.

However, most of the external GPU solutions are expensive, so I would hardly consider them cost-effective methods of mining.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
togoshigekata

Activity: 1260
Merit: 115

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 03:17:18 AM

You dont necessarily need GPUs or ASICs to mine, some coins are CPU mineable, like BiblePay

xxcsu

Activity: 1498
Merit: 597

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2017, 06:24:36 AM

you can connect gpu to a laptop easy , without any thunderbolt 3 ports. What you need is ,  remove the wifi mini card from your laptop, and plug a mPcie to Pcie adapter to the mPcie port .
you going to need a externap computer PSU , the adapter card and some work Wink
if you want to do more than 1 extarnal vga card , you can try to use any pcie splitter there is no guarantee those splitters going to work and support all 3-4 slots , but you have a good chance to run 2 cards with those splitter / mPcie to Pcie adapter combination . You have to make sure your external psu can handle the load Smiley

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
If you like the answer you got for your question from any member ,
If you find any post useful , informative use the +Merit button.
ibinsad

Activity: 616
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 06:36:36 AM

Why not consider POS mining?

Imagine what you can spend in hardware and electricity.

Buy directly cheap coins having POS keep the wallet open and you get profit by the POS or Masternode if you invest more. You pay just to keep wallet open.

The issue can be if a project is a scam or fail for any reason, if you decide to invest in that manner be really carefully and sell if you notice something going wrong.
malthrax

Activity: 182

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 06:41:07 AM

Is there a pool for this?  Tongue

Yes, its in India.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: