Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 06:53:38 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MESSAGE FOR FOUNDERS OF ETHEREUM - The official wallet is beyond poor!  (Read 32 times)
NadimAJ (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 08:48:49 AM
Last edit: December 26, 2017, 10:16:49 AM by NadimAJ

Just google Ethereum mist problems and see how much noise there is out there. The UX around Mist is frought with pain and confusion.

How can ethereum.org link to the Mist client on their home page? This client is not designed for the average user. It often needs CLI tweaks to make it run properly. The GUI which is supposed to be invoking GETH on start up, often ends up in massive sync loops but if you launch GETH first and sync up, then launch Mist, it's OK. WTF??? Currently a big percentage of the community is facing sync problems. The devs think they've cured it by designing a "Lite" client, which is still in beta (a year later). Lite appears in the CLI help as "depreciated" - wow, that's just crystal clear isn't it? Once enabled, you lose your wallet information because it doesn't look for the existing files. The noobs must freak at this point. You try to disable "Lite" client only to find you can't. There's no option. The only way is through a text file edit, not documented very well. Yeah, read that again.

Again, just follow me through with this to understand how poor the UX is.... say you're an existing full node user (because that was the default installation setting) and you've got a wallet with funds. You're having sync problems and decide to do away with the full node. The minute you switch on Lite client, Mist behaves like a different application disregarding your previous wallet files. This gives the impression your money is gone. Oh and you can't import an existing wallet either (option greyed out) so all you can do is transfer to a new wallet which you created inside Lite client (two applications in one, just you never get that impression).

Explain to me how this can be acceptable if we want ETH to become a true competitor? Why is this shit, the official choice of Ethereum? It makes no sense to me. If I wasn't semi computer literate I would've deleted my key files by mistake a long time ago in an effort to install and reinstall this client to make it work properly. I wonder how many got rid of important files only to then tell there friends Ethereum is unreliable, don't use it! Don't these guys want to make things easy? People are going to compare the ETH experience to the BTC or LTC experience. Those official wallet applications just work out of the box with no fuss. So why can't Mist? Mist is not fit for purpose, I urge the community to get it's act together to make something else the official wallet application. Just look at the way Exodus is designed. That's what people want in order to feel like they are doing something mainstream and not something extremely experimental and dangerous.

I'm yet to hear of any praises relating to Mist. Thanks for listening.
DGRL

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 02:55:27 PM
Last edit: December 31, 2017, 03:20:31 PM by DGRL

Just google Ethereum mist problems and see how much noise there is out there. The UX around Mist is frought with pain and confusion.

How can ethereum.org link to the Mist client on their home page? This client is not designed for the average user. It often needs CLI tweaks to make it run properly. The GUI which is supposed to be invoking GETH on start up, often ends up in massive sync loops but if you launch GETH first and sync up, then launch Mist, it's OK. WTF??? Currently a big percentage of the community is facing sync problems. The devs think they've cured it by designing a "Lite" client, which is still in beta (a year later). Lite appears in the CLI help as "depreciated" - wow, that's just crystal clear isn't it? Once enabled, you lose your wallet information because it doesn't look for the existing files. The noobs must freak at this point. You try to disable "Lite" client only to find you can't. There's no option. The only way is through a text file edit, not documented very well. Yeah, read that again.

Again, just follow me through with this to understand how poor the UX is.... say you're an existing full node user (because that was the default installation setting) and you've got a wallet with funds. You're having sync problems and decide to do away with the full node. The minute you switch on Lite client, Mist behaves like a different application disregarding your previous wallet files. This gives the impression your money is gone. Oh and you can't import an existing wallet either (option greyed out) so all you can do is transfer to a new wallet which you created inside Lite client (two applications in one, just you never get that impression).

Explain to me how this can be acceptable if we want ETH to become a true competitor? Why is this shit, the official choice of Ethereum? It makes no sense to me. If I wasn't semi computer literate I would've deleted my key files by mistake a long time ago in an effort to install and reinstall this client to make it work properly. I wonder how many got rid of important files only to then tell there friends Ethereum is unreliable, don't use it! Don't these guys want to make things easy? People are going to compare the ETH experience to the BTC or LTC experience. Those official wallet applications just work out of the box with no fuss. So why can't Mist? Mist is not fit for purpose, I urge the community to get it's act together to make something else the official wallet application. Just look at the way Exodus is designed. That's what people want in order to feel like they are doing something mainstream and not something extremely experimental and dangerous.

I'm yet to hear of any praises relating to Mist. Thanks for listening.

Yes i also have this issue

When looking into the blockchain folder i notice that there are blocks downloaded right to be deleted again
Around 207514 current items in folder is 24.150 climps to around 24.200 to drop again to around 24.140
What the hell is going on?
I want to get my ETH back

Do you have an clearer explaination for this NOOB to sync his wallet again?

EDIT

Sync is even going down more and is downloading and deleting files hudreds of items at a time
WTF is this for sync?

Curently syncing using the command line ( geth and fats mode is disabled after syncing about 30 to 40%
This takes already a few days now and i paid already a few bucks of elec for nothing

At time of writing this the number of files was 24.150 now it in the 23.XXX range
Is this sync or what?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: