Bitcoin Forum
July 15, 2024, 09:28:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How'd you calculate  (Read 140 times)
anlklc (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 10:10:53 AM

I had to rewrite the questions for shortening,

I have an Asus P5KPL-AM-SE motherboard which supports
1 x PCIe x16
1 x PCIe x1
1 x PCI

-I'm not on a good budget so, is it reasonable to start to build on it and grow with the profit?
-How can I calculate the right PSU power? I'm planning to build a 6 GPU rig at the end.
If I go with 6 GPU's that draws 1200W in total, how much should I add for the other components' power needs?

Thanks in advance
puwaha

Activity: 700
Merit: 294

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 08:31:35 AM

I had to rewrite the questions for shortening,

I have an Asus P5KPL-AM-SE motherboard which supports
1 x PCIe x16
1 x PCIe x1
1 x PCI

-I'm not on a good budget so, is it reasonable to start to build on it and grow with the profit?
-How can I calculate the right PSU power? I'm planning to build a 6 GPU rig at the end.
If I go with 6 GPU's that draws 1200W in total, how much should I add for the other components' power needs?

Thanks in advance

Your current motherboard will only support 2 GPUs.  So, get two good GPUs, and then use the profits they make to buy a better motherboard.  Then you can plan on expanding your rig to support more than two GPUs.  The PSU you use will depend on the types and number of GPUs you want to run.  If your 6 GPUs will take 1200W, then you need to add another bit of wattage to cover the CPU and motherboard.  This really depends on the CPU you use.  You also need some overhead in the PSU, at least 20%.  If you were to get a low wattage CPU, like something with a 65W or less TDP, you'd probably be looking at 1600W or more.  At that level, you'd need to start looking at server power supplies and their breakout boards, or two smaller ATX PSUs that equal 1600W or more.

Of course, if you lower the TDP of the GPUs, then you probably don't need the full 1200W you are estimating.  What GPUs are you looking to buy?
anlklc (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 09:24:22 AM

puwaha thank you so much for your answer. 1200W was not a realistic estimate, idk which card can suck up that much.

In where I live gpu prices are vary, like
rx 560s are about $169 (@amazon $120)
rx 570s are about $454 (@amazon $259)

For my current pc, I'm not sure that psu can handle that 2 gpu. I just need to understand how you calculate the necessary power, should I just sum up the stock wattages of gpus and cpu and put extra 100W when I'm looking for a psu right?
puwaha

Activity: 700
Merit: 294

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 08:51:08 AM

puwaha thank you so much for your answer. 1200W was not a realistic estimate, idk which card can suck up that much.

In where I live gpu prices are vary, like
rx 560s are about $169 (@amazon $120)
rx 570s are about $454 (@amazon $259)

For my current pc, I'm not sure that psu can handle that 2 gpu. I just need to understand how you calculate the necessary power, should I just sum up the stock wattages of gpus and cpu and put extra 100W when I'm looking for a psu right?

That's generally what I do.  I look at the maximum TDP of the cards that I will be using to mine with, the maximum TDP of the CPU, throw in another 100 W for the motherboard, memory, SSD, etc.  You probably don't need 100W for the motherboard, RAM and SSD, but I like to overestimate.  I usually just round out the CPU, motherboard, RAM, and SSD to 150W.

The RX 560's TDP is 75W.  With two of those, you have 150W, add another 150W... so you are at 300W.  You should never run a PSU at 100% unless you like early failures or possibly fires.  So give an extra 20% or so on top of that... and you are at around 350-360W.

The RX 570's TDP is 120W.  With two of those, you have 240W, add another 150W and you are at 400W.  I would go with a 500W PSU for this setup.

Now, you will probably be underclocking these cards which will give you even more headroom, but also consider future expansion beyond 2 GPUs later.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: