Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 05:23:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Bitcoin valued so much when there is infinite supply of crypto ? (Sorta)  (Read 128 times)
otomakansotas (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 02:06:55 AM

I get that there is only  a finite (21 Million) supply of BTC.

But, The problem with cryptocurrencies generally
is that there's potentially an infinite amount in totality.
I mean even bitcoin is now forking and sort of spawning brother and sister coins like bitcoin cash.
What good is it if you can spawn a new one every day?"

So why should any Crypto (including BTC) be worth anything ?
BTCforJoe

Activity: 882
Merit: 976

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2017, 05:10:32 AM

I get that there is only  a finite (21 Million) supply of BTC.

I mean even bitcoin is now forking and sort of spawning brother and sister coins like bitcoin cash.

This is such a complex question with such a simple answer...

I'll start by saying that just because the bitcoin blockchain forks doesn't mean that it's bitcoin. Bitcoin Cash and Bitcoin Core are the two major competing "Bitcoins", but as far as the mass majority of users are concerned, Bitcoin Core is still considered THE Bitcoin.

Regarding the alternative cryptocurrencies... Essentially this doesn't mean anything when compared to Bitcoin's finite supply. It's almost like how the prices or availability of silver, copper, bronze, steel, tungsten, etc rarely affect the price of gold. Yes, there is slight influence, but not enough to truly impact the longevity of the value of gold.

Coins that are newly "spawned" generally fall to the wayside. I would say that over 80% of newly launched altcoins are rendered ineffective within the first 100-day lifespan of the coin, and the remaining coins exponentially kill themselves off within the first year.

Bitcoin is like the "gold standard" of the crypto world. Other coins use blockchain technology to try to create a coin, but it will never be Bitcoin. It's as if you were to create a new fiat currency and say that your new currency is now worth the same as the US Dollar... No one will value your currency just because it's new. And chances are that your new currency will never reach the market cap that the dollar has reached. The same principal applies with newly created coins. Unless they're revolutionary and adopted by a mass following of users (such as the top 10 on coinmarketcap; hell even the top 20), these coins will always be worth very little compared to the big dogs.

The major cryptos will prevail while the shitcoins fall out of the cryptoeconomy. And Bitcoin will more than likely continue to remain the gold standard of crypto, which will allow it to not only retain its value, but continue to grow its value.

Hope this kind of answers your question.

heringasem

Activity: 168
Merit: 103

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 06:00:33 AM

Almost all the altcoins and cryptos in general are purely based on speculation, fear, hype, and nothing more than that.
The price is "priced" by the people who invest in there, nothing more.
And no one cares about the supply when they invest, only on the price.

coinycoiny

Activity: 273
Merit: 18

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 06:09:08 AM

You are correct. But you won't find many agreeing with you here. Because there are only a very small number of coins there are enough fans that they managed to raise the price. The coin obviously doesn't work, it takes far too long to transact, costs too much and consumes more power than several countries.

One day they will wake up and smell the coffee but they will loose all their money first.
BrewMaster
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1292

There is trouble abrewing

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 06:16:52 AM

the answer is pretty simple!
the same reason why Gold is valued so much and it continues to rise but at the same time there are (figuratively) infinite number of sand grains on the planet!

it is the scarcity combined with usability.

There is a FOMO brewing...
Cryptobuz

Activity: 336

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 12:48:16 PM

Bitcoin valued so much because unlike all other coins that rely on blockchain technology to thrive.

Bitcoin standard overshadows all other currencies in the crypto world.

Bitcoin crypto economy strength remains a source of its value.
terzy

Activity: 196

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 01:21:30 PM

Bitcoin valued so much because it is decentralized and limited. I think those are two main factor of bitcoin value so it is recognized and accepted as a currency by many! People accept and trade in Bitcoin because other people accept and trade in Bitcoin!
Ilegendph

Activity: 434
Merit: 103

Thinking on the higher plane of existence.

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2017, 01:49:01 PM

I get that there is only  a finite (21 Million) supply of BTC.

Every coins and tokens have services that are offered in the case of bitcoin, it is remittance, you can send large amount of money without the need to fill up many forms unlike in traditional model and I believe that it is the very reason why bitcoin goes up as times goes on. Yes, its true that there is infinite potential number of cryptos but bear in mind that different cryptos have different services offered and problems solved and I think that should be the reason to have its worth.

E C O S T A R T |                              telegram      twitter      facebook                     Instant and transparent
                                   WE CREATE A CRYPTOCURRENCY FOR OUR PLANET  ▬▬▬▬   financing of environmental
[   WHITEPAPER      ONEPAGER   ]                JOIN                               projects.     
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: