Bitcoin Forum
June 01, 2024, 03:25:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How To Protect Physical Private Key  (Read 183 times)
rtbwrtbwtrhthr (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 02:29:51 AM

Hi, i have a nano s, and the 20 word keyphrase. Does anyone know a best practise for safe storage of the paper copy key phrase? im thinking putting it in an ip68 enclosure, placed inside a fireproof safe, but this doesn't protect from heat, which the paper and ink may succumb to. are there label makers or other methods that can be used for the heat issue?
ImNewAnDontKnowWhat2Do

Activity: 34

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 02:38:27 AM

memorize it. they can't steal that from you. prove me wrong?
mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 3845

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 02:46:30 AM

Purchase a cryptosteel[1] if you want something that's waterproof and pretty much fire proof.
There's a YouTube video[2] of a dude that tested the cryptosteel by trying to burn it, smashing it, and stuff. It just might help you decide.

[1] https://cryptosteel.com/
[2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1hLFsBuDT0

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
rtbwrtbwtrhthr (OP)

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 03:00:11 AM

i considered this, though illness or injury could cause me to forget. Also, there are several mind reading technology patents filed in recent years.
rtbwrtbwtrhthr (OP)

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 03:13:08 AM

Purchase a cryptosteel[1] if you want something that's waterproof and pretty much fire proof.
There's a YouTube video[2] of a dude that tested the cryptosteel by trying to burn it, smashing it, and stuff. It just might help you decide.

[1] https://cryptosteel.com/
[2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1hLFsBuDT0

thank you, this seems to be the solution for me
crypto-words

Activity: 140
Merit: 5

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 01:18:29 PM
Last edit: December 27, 2017, 02:56:06 PM by crypto-words

Cryptosteel is, of course, the solution here. But why buy one, when you can create one yourself?
I did, following the advice of this reddit person right here:

This is the article in question:
Do you want a cryptosteel? Why buy one, when you can make your own for <$15USD!!
Midoucha

Activity: 129

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 02:14:40 PM

Write them behind a slab with a permanent marker  Wink
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 02:48:17 PM

Cryptosteel is, of course, the solution here. But why buy one, when you can create one yourself?
I did, following the advice of this reddit person right here:

This is the article in question:
Do you want a cryptosteel? Why buy one, when you can make your own for <$15USD!!

You didn't include any links to your article or video's.

The title seems quite interesting to me, would you mind adding the link onto your post?

Write them behind a slab with a permanent marker  Wink
You are really going to put faith in that? Using a 2$ marker to write on a tile that may or may not degrade after several years?

milhaop

Activity: 78

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 02:50:40 PM

Just print and put it in a safe place that only you know about it. Smiley
Sarzy15

Activity: 35
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 06:40:23 AM

You can save it as draft in your mail if you can't memorize it.  But memorizing it is the best alternative to me.
chaitanya31

Activity: 70

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 07:15:13 AM

Hi, i have a nano s, and the 20 word keyphrase. Does anyone know a best practise for safe storage of the paper copy key phrase? im thinking putting it in an ip68 enclosure, placed inside a fireproof safe, but this doesn't protect from heat, which the paper and ink may succumb to. are there label makers or other methods that can be used for the heat issue?
You need a personal wallet that will let you control the private key, if you store your coins on an exchange they control the private key instead of you. Generally it is good practice to keep your private key off of the internet.
zhanghoqi5

Activity: 224

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2018, 09:15:15 AM

You're the best collector I've ever seen. I just took a piece of paper and copied it down. It's in a small box.
taeewo

Activity: 392
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 05:54:19 AM

You mean to memorize all those long private key, i think you must be joking.....
Tatzky

Activity: 162

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 10:39:27 AM

i considered this, though illness or injury could cause me to forget. Also, there are several mind reading technology patents filed in recent years.

Same with me today I memorize the code but after sometime I totally forgat it. And it happen to me many times, so whenever I create new account, I write it on a small notebook that I could understand, do not. Write the password itself make a line where in you will have a clue make a copy also in a paper then keep it in your wallet.

▐|     KRYPTOBITS     ▐|   THE NEXT GENERATION EXCHANGE
●》 Pre ICO start on May 17th 2018     [     kryptobits.com     ]
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 10:43:25 AM

You mean to memorize all those long private key, i think you must be joking.....
Ye this doesn't seem to be good solution. Hmm... physical private key, there is problem not how to store it, but where? There is no safe places from thieves, they know all people popular hiding places.
Best would be probably to hide in plain sight.
teddy5145

Activity: 714
Merit: 528

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 12:03:21 PM

Ye this doesn't seem to be good solution. Hmm... physical private key, there is problem not how to store it, but where? There is no safe places from thieves, they know all people popular hiding places.
Best would be probably to hide in plain sight.
I remember a similar topic 2 years ago on BTCtalk or Reddit, basically a guy asked how to protect his paper wallet from thieves.
A user says that he should bury it on his lawn, he did it and said that he will dig it back in 10 years Cheesy

So yea, either memorize it or bury it on your lawn, you will notice it right away when some meddling kids trying to dig on your lawn Tongue

There's no way for human to be able to memorize private key, private key were made to be impossible for human to memorize.
Although, if he's using a wallet that uses seed, it can be easily memorized by making up a simple story
WillowEvul

Activity: 39

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 12:25:15 PM

Why don't you just make it digital? Would it not be easier to store and protect?  Wink
JaredStein

Activity: 379
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 12:33:58 PM

You need a personal wallet that will let you control the private key, if you store your coins on an exchange they control the private key instead of you. Generally it is good practice to keep your private key off of the internet.

He is already using a hardware wallet not an exchange.
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1125

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 01:03:43 PM

Let me smash your head with a hammer until you tell me the private key and I'll prove you wrong.

Either cryptosteel or write it down on an aluminium plate.
tanxingwo1215

Activity: 105
Merit: 6

Get Paid to Play your Media on Current

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 01:53:31 PM

Backing up your wallet to keep your wallet backup in a safe place can protect your wallet from computer glitches and many human errors.

Multiple signatures in case the stolen bitcoins have a multi-signature feature that USES this feature to create transactions that require the signature of multiple private keys.

Using offline wallets, offline wallets are also called cold storage and can provide the highest level of security storage.

▃▃  ────▾ CURRENT ▾────  ▃▃
█ ▁ Get Paid to Play All Your Media ▁ █ (http://current.us/)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: