Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 08:04:51 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Primecoin Mining Rig - Parallela  (Read 11551 times)
cryptrol

Activity: 637
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 06:22:10 AM

Ufffffffffffff.
Parralella is ARM base?
Works with an Linaro Linux?

I guess so. The hardware is not that rare. So you could easily get support.

The parallella board do have a dual ARM core, but the real deal of the parallella is it's 16 core coprocessor (Epiphany).
I am not that sure if it could have a good performance crunching prime chains since it is not the kind of job that benefits much of parallellization (correct me if I am wrong).
balanghai

Activity: 364
Merit: 253

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 09:02:19 AM

Ufffffffffffff.
Parralella is ARM base?
Works with an Linaro Linux?

I guess so. The hardware is not that rare. So you could easily get support.

The parallella board do have a dual ARM core, but the real deal of the parallella is it's 16 core coprocessor (Epiphany).
I am not that sure if it could have a good performance crunching prime chains since it is not the kind of job that benefits much of parallellization (correct me if I am wrong).

I agree. But remember the settings of primeminers that you can specify how many threads to bind? Maybe it could have a good impact.
crendore

Activity: 363
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 10:09:54 AM

Here's a benchmark i found:

The Coremark benchmark is not a floating point benchmark, it's main focus is read/write operations, integer operations, and control operations.  Generally speaking the Epiphany coprocessor was designed to do floating point math very quickly.  This test is probably not really a 100% good representation of it's ability of doing integer ops, due to it being biased by other external factors (read/write etc).

The Epiphany 3 with 16 cores has a core mark of: 19478 and costs $99
The Intel Xeon Processor E5-2687W has a core mark of: 400116 and costs $1890 plus say another $400 for a computer build: ~$2290

20 Epiphany 3s would be about the same speed as that Xeon.  and if you built that using their cluster kits, it would cost. ~2875.

Granted you could probably build two or three computers with more total computing power and cheaper than using that insane Xeon, and probably get your costs down even further.

Furthermore, unless you are a coder, you are going to have a bad time.  You won't be able to just drop the primecoin miner into a paralella and hit go.  There will need to be some code rewriting and optimizations done to the code, at very least you will have to significantly edit the make file to make it compile for the coprocessor.

The Epiphany 4 with 64 cores that is not yet available on the other hand has a core mark of: 78748.80 but the price is unknown, as well as the availability.

So right now, i would say No, i don't think the Parallela is a good bet.

mechs (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 10:10:45 PM

The Coremark benchmark is not a floating point benchmark, it's main focus is read/write operations, integer operations, and control operations.  Generally speaking the Epiphany coprocessor was designed to do floating point math very quickly.  This test is probably not really a 100% good representation of it's ability of doing integer ops, due to it being biased by other external factors (read/write etc).

The Epiphany 3 with 16 cores has a core mark of: 19478 and costs $99
The Intel Xeon Processor E5-2687W has a core mark of: 400116 and costs $1890 plus say another $400 for a computer build: ~$2290

20 Epiphany 3s would be about the same speed as that Xeon.  and if you built that using their cluster kits, it would cost. ~2875.

Granted you could probably build two or three computers with more total computing power and cheaper than using that insane Xeon, and probably get your costs down even further.

Furthermore, unless you are a coder, you are going to have a bad time.  You won't be able to just drop the primecoin miner into a paralella and hit go.  There will need to be some code rewriting and optimizations done to the code, at very least you will have to significantly edit the make file to make it compile for the coprocessor.

The Epiphany 4 with 64 cores that is not yet available on the other hand has a core mark of: 78748.80 but the price is unknown, as well as the availability.

So right now, i would say No, i don't think the Parallela is a good bet.

[/quote]
Excellent post! I guess I will stick to the VPS route until the Epiphany 4s come out and see what the price/performance trade-off is there.  Hopefully if it makes sense price/performance, and the gpu miner is not refined to be much more efficient than it currently is, an experienced coder with re-work primecoin miner for the parallela.
balanghai

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 10:40:20 AM

Wow you can beat a Corei5 with 99$ computer! That's insane! Shocked
bitspill
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 05:57:08 PM

Wow you can beat a Corei5 with 99$ computer! That's insane! Shocked
The Epiphany running 16 threads beats the i5 running one thread but loses to the i5 running two threads.

{ BitSpill }
sva_h4cky0

Activity: 308

onore dikeido

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2013, 10:34:23 AM

when you guys receiving your order?   Grin
crendore

Activity: 363

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 11:15:15 AM

According to their website:
Shipping begins in October.  And all pending orders should be shipped by end of October.

sva_h4cky0

Activity: 308

onore dikeido

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2013, 12:25:51 PM

According to their website:
Shipping begins in October.  And all pending orders should be shipped by end of October.

thx for the info   Grin
balanghai

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 05:09:37 PM

It's good to know that a lot of people are interested with parallela. Grin
mechs (OP)

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 05:17:08 PM

It has huge potential especially as the cost comes down for CPU intensive tasks without the need for a full system
balanghai

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 02:54:47 PM

It has huge potential especially as the cost comes down for CPU intensive tasks without the need for a full system

Yeah this makes me want to have one and try to make a cpu rig out of it. Cheesy
mechs (OP)

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 02:32:04 AM

Just don't try gaming on it;)
balanghai

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 03:14:41 AM

Hahahaha I won't. I'll just make the cluster a host for my cloud server rented out locally. Cheesy
mechs (OP)

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 03:22:24 AM

Hahahaha I won't. I'll just make the cluster a host for my cloud server rented out locally. Cheesy
I hope it lives up to the hype.  I'm going to wait to get some feedback and then I'll take the plunge.
balanghai

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 03:34:40 AM

I hope it lives up to the hype.  I'm going to wait to get some feedback and then I'll take the plunge.

I agree.
maco

Activity: 294

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 10:33:42 PM

Want to help Primecoin Network Expand to the masses of Computer/Tech/Science Enthusiasts ?   

I am looking for others with Twitter Accounts to give us a hand here in getting Primecoin Media/Press attention.

Find out how to get involved @ https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=305956 and follow http://twitter.com/Primecoiner

We will start tweeting soon, and need you, a supporter, to help us ReTweet the message!
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1130

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 01:59:39 PM

Anyone succeed in mining with it ?
c4shm3n

Activity: 719
Merit: 500

CLOAK Private,Secure & Untraceable Digitalcurrency

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 02:36:23 PM

anyone already tested it ?

,╓▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄╓                
            ╓▄█████████████████▄╖           
         ╓▄█████▀▀'▒,,,,,╠'▀▀█████▄,        
       ,▓███▀╜,▄▄███████████▄▄,╙▀████╖      
      ▄███▀ ▄█████▀▀"``╙"▀▀█████▄ ▀███▄     
     ▓███╜╓████▀ ,▄▄█████▄▄, ▀████,╙███▌    
    ▓███`╔███▀ ╓▓███▀▀▀▀▀████╖ ▀███@"███▌   
   ]███▌┌███▌ ▐███         ███▄ ▐███ ▐███,  
   ▐███ ▐███ .███           ███  ███▌ ███▌  
   ▐███ ▐███ '███           ███  ███▌ ███▌  
   ]███@╙███@ ▀██▌        ,▄██▌ ▐███ ▐███`  
    ▓███ ▐███▄ ╙██▀╩     9███╜ ╔███▀,███▌   
     ████,╙███▌               ▓███╜,████    
      ▀███▄ ▀╜                 ▀▀ ▄███▌     
       ╙████▄,                 ╓▄████╜      
         ╙█████▄▄╓,       ,╓▄▄█████▀        
            ▀▀█████████████████▀▀           
                '▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀'

CloakCoin | CloakCoin Private, Secure, Untraceable & Decentralized Digitalcurrency |  Enigma
Chat | Bitcointalk | Twitter | Forum |  Facebook |  VK |  Reddit |  CloakTV |  Instagram | Faucet
Demoss

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 08:53:02 PM

I know this is a somewhat old thread, but as its now the new year, did anyone get their Parallela's?

If so how are they?
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: