Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 06:47:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Solutions to Remote Access Miner  (Read 180 times)
Parade (OP)

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 05:51:40 AM
Last edit: December 27, 2017, 06:21:26 AM by Parade

Hello,

I'm looking into solutions to remote access my rig which includes a remote access client, Wake-on-lan and also Smart Plug.

#1) Is it better to use TeamViewer vs Chrome Remote Desktop? From my understanding, Chrome remote desktop seems to be more secured whereas TeamViewer seems to be more robust interms of features.

#2) I would like to use TeamViewer but I'm unsure if I should use "TeamViewer for Windows" (the ordinary version) or "TeamViewer Host".
I suppose I should install the Host version on my rig since I would need to access it anytime. Whereas on my remote device I need to install TeamViewer for Windows as it's client.

#3) I looked up a few tutorials on wake-on-lan and smart plug, it seems they are configured to work on local area network. Can I have them setup to work over the Internet? Is it something to do with Dynamic DNS which I can set-up on my router and then input the DDNS address on my wake-on-lan app as well as smart plug app?

Thank You
DevelopmentBank

Activity: 406
Merit: 110

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 05:55:01 AM

I would like to use TeamViewer but I'm unsure if I should use "TeamViewer for Windows" or "TeamViewer Host".
I suppose I should install the Host version on my rig since I would need to access it anytime. Whereas on my remote device I need to install TeamViewer for Windows as it's client.

Don't have much experience with the other options you mentioned except for Teamviewer. Get the "Teamviewer for Windows." It's pretty straight forward because it will ask you upon installation if you want the computer to serve as "a computer you connect to" or as "a computer you use to connect to your other computers." No need for any technical configurations or anything. Almost as simple as plug and play.
Parade (OP)

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 06:05:07 AM
Last edit: December 27, 2017, 06:27:55 AM by Parade

Don't have much experience with the other options you mentioned except for Teamviewer. Get the "Teamviewer for Windows." It's pretty straight forward because it will ask you upon installation if you want the computer to serve as "a computer you connect to" or as "a computer you use to connect to your other computers." No need for any technical configurations or anything. Almost as simple as plug and play.

So you use the same App "Teamviewer for Windows" for both your working terminal as well as your rig? Are you able to set an authenticating detail on your rig or do you have to re-run the Teamviewer Software each time you re-connects.

From Teamviewer: TeamViewer Host is used for 24/7 access to remote computers, which makes it an ideal solution for uses such as remote monitoring, server maintenance, or connecting to a PC or Mac in the office or at home.

It seems Teamviewer Host is for long term remote access solutions. Confused too. Huh
zukko

Activity: 257
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 07:21:48 AM

If you have windows, why not just use the built-in Remote Desktop (RDP) ?
Parade (OP)

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 07:23:03 AM

I don't want to deal with the hassle of port forwarding etc.
smoolae

Activity: 602
Merit: 106

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 07:37:25 AM

Team Viewer is really nice and ez to set up. + you can control your PC from your smartphone. Really nice! Smiley

danialzo

Activity: 84

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 07:50:33 AM

Hello,

I'm looking into solutions to remote access my rig which includes a remote access client, Wake-on-lan and also Smart Plug.

#1) Is it better to use TeamViewer vs Chrome Remote Desktop? From my understanding, Chrome remote desktop seems to be more secured whereas TeamViewer seems to be more robust interms of features.

#2) I would like to use TeamViewer but I'm unsure if I should use "TeamViewer for Windows" (the ordinary version) or "TeamViewer Host".

#3) I looked up a few tutorials on wake-on-lan and smart plug, it seems they are configured to work on local area network. Can I have them setup to work over the Internet? Is it something to do with Dynamic DNS which I can set-up on my router and then input the DDNS address on my wake-on-lan app as well as smart plug app?

Thank You
Another option for remote desktop can be VNC (Safer). Look it out.

You'll need a service like Dynamic DNS (I am using https://www.duckdns.org) to access your remote monitoring/control if you go for VNC. But if you decided to use TeamViewer, you won't need to setup DynDNS. Most of Smart Plugs can be accessible from the internet depending on the brand/feature/your router. I believe having UPnP capable router is a must have requirement.
puwaha

Activity: 700
Merit: 294

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 07:52:49 AM

I don't want to deal with the hassle of port forwarding etc.

If you want to be secure, setup OpenVPN on your firewall and you can then connect and simply use RDP.  You'll want to setup a DynDNS name to make it easy to access later on in case your public facing IP changes by your ISP.
Parade (OP)

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 08:03:05 AM
Last edit: December 27, 2017, 08:23:21 AM by Parade

Yes, I know there are many alternatives. However, now I'm only interested in Chrome Remote Desktop/Teamviewer.

For Teamviewer, what's the difference between the normal Teamviewer vs Teamviewer Host. I know the Host edition is for unattended access, however it was mentioned that the normal edition works too. Which should I use?
puwaha

Activity: 700
Merit: 294

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 08:40:31 AM

Yes, I know there are many alternatives. However, now I'm only interested in Chrome Remote Desktop/Teamviewer.

For Teamviewer, what's the difference between the normal Teamviewer vs Teamviewer Host. I know the Host edition is for unattended access, however it was mentioned that the normal edition works too. Which should I use?

I haven't used Teamviewer in ages, I stripped that crap out of my current company's PCs the day I walked in the door.  If I were a betting man, the Teamviewer Host sounds like it's just for the remote computer you want to connect to.  It would not have the ability to view another computer running Teamview, only accepting incoming connections.  The normal version probably installs both the host and the viewing client.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: