Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 10:34:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: WebcoinX: colored coin web client demo  (Read 1534 times)
killerstorm (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 08:42:06 AM
Last edit: June 16, 2014, 08:24:51 AM by killerstorm

THIS DEMO IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE

The current version is just a demo: it works on Bitcoin testnet and is not secure. But it isn't just a mock-up: it actually uses blockchain, traverses transaction graph to identify colors, etc.

Basically, to make a client which can be used on mainnet out of it we need to add some crypto checks and optimize the way it works with blockchain.

So, here's a link to client: http://bitcoinx.github.io/webcoinx/

Notes on usage:

1. Colored coins are made of Bitcoins, so you need to have some in your wallet before you can issue your own coins.
2. The way it works now, you have to select currency you want in the drop-down menu BEFORE you choose what to do with it (send, trade, receive).
3. If color was created after you loaded the client, you need to reload page (or use 'reload / sync' button) to see it in drop-down.

Also note that p2ptrade section is ugly and not well tested... But, probably, it works.

I'll pay 0.05 BTC per usability report, for the first 10 reports. To claim bounty you need to reply to this with following:

1. How would you rate ease of use, 1 to 10 (10 is best)?
2. Which features did you try? Did they work?
3. Did you encounter any problems?
4. What things would you change and how?
5. Any comments you want to include which do not fit in categories above.
6. Your Bitcoin address.

I plan to redesign user interface, making separate tabs: receive/send/issue/trade. I want to measure the baseline now to see whether there are improvements.

Testing instructions: You need more than one wallet to test sending and trading.

You can create mulitple wallets if you open it in different browsers (e.g. in Chrome and in Firefox), or one in normal window and another in incognito window.

(Wallet is stored in local storage so it is persisted as long as you do not clear storage. Incognito mode destroys local storage after you close window, so wallet won't be persisted.)

Chromia: a better dapp platform

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gbl08ma

Activity: 306
Merit: 250

Donations: http://tny.im/nx

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2013, 01:34:44 PM

Ease of use: 5 in 10. It's still too green now, even though its simplicity makes it easy to use.
I tested receiving, sending... my internet connection dropped so at some point I reloaded the page to force the wallet to refresh. The balance became clearly wrong: http://tny.im/mp
After I reloaded the page again, the balance came right.
I tried p2ptrade, but of course couldn't test it very well due to the lack of humans...

It would be good if the balance refreshes were more seamless. It often doesn't show the loading icon. And then there's the times where the balance comes wrong as I said above...
Also, while the wallet is loading, the page is very different (very noticeable on slower browsers/connections)... It would be less confusing if it showed the full wallet layout while it's loading, with a big "loading" message on top. Separate tabs would be welcome, yes. It would also look more familiar to users of other wallets.

Bitcoin address: 1tnyqm1UBJgUnv394Ns5WQo4tdWVQTdUW

EDIT: just noticed one thing: every time one reloads the wallet, it seems to get new coins, and apparently one can perform more transactions with them. I'll leave it up to you to check if the transactions actually occurred or not - apparently, the transactions aren't appearing on the testnet block explorers, even those with multiple confirmations. Infinite coins! http://tny.im/n8

killerstorm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 02:29:05 PM

Bitcoin address: 1tnyqm1UBJgUnv394Ns5WQo4tdWVQTdUW

EDIT: just noticed one thing: every time one reloads the wallet, it seems to get new coins, and apparently one can perform more transactions with them. I'll leave it up to you to check if the transactions actually occurred or not - apparently, the transactions aren't appearing on the testnet block explorers, even those with multiple confirmations. Infinite coins! http://tny.im/n8

Thanks, I've sent you 0.05 BTC.

I haven't seen a problem with multiplying coins before, gotta investigate it.

Just to clarify: were you sending coins between different addresses of same wallet?

Or made multiple wallets (e.g. by opening in different browsers or in incognito window) and sent between different browsers?

gbl08ma

Activity: 306

Donations: http://tny.im/nx

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2013, 02:52:53 PM

I just requested coins from testnet faucets and then sent back coins to those faucets' return addresses. Sending and receiving always to and from the same address/wallet.

iddo

Activity: 360
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 07:45:00 PM

I tried it now, it mostly works quite nicely...
Issues:
1) When reloading the page the BTC balance increases (as gbl08ma said) but no new testnet transaction actually occurs, and when reloading again the balance returns back to the correct lower balance.
2) The "Block Explorer" links don't seem to work (when clicking the small play button next to the transactions), even though the testnet transactions are real (I received coins with other faucets too), because http://blockexplorer.com/testnet isn't up-to-date.
3) It was a little confusing that the p2ptrade dialog window "X" close-button on top-right is invisible until hovering on it, at first I reloaded the page to get out of there.
4) The p2ptrade buy/sell of colored coins doesn't seem to execute. After issuing new colored coins and using p2ptrade to sell some of these colored coins, I do see in the other wallet (in incognito browser) the sell order so I have the corresponding (blue) "buy" button there, and when I click on this "buy" button it creates buy orders with the correct price, but the orders don't actually execute as far as I can see. On the other hand, the "send coins" button for sending colored coins directly to a (colored) address (in the other wallet) works well.
killerstorm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 11:05:43 PM

Thanks!

Block explorer now points to our own block explorer, which is up-to-date.

apetersson

Activity: 668
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 01:36:57 PM

impressive tech demo.

what should be the standard way to store+discover different colored coins? a central website? DHT? blockchain abuse? rss feeds? is it necessary to sign newly issued colors somehow?
killerstorm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 04:19:31 PM

what should be the standard way to store+discover different colored coins? a central website? DHT? blockchain abuse? rss feeds? is it necessary to sign newly issued colors somehow?

The way I see it, people will first get interested in a particular asset, and only then would want to add it to their wallet.

So we'll start from two simple ways to add asset definitions:

1. Via URL. E.g. if company Foo sells its stock, they will simply give you a link like https://foo.com/asset.definition, you client will fetch and install it.

2. From a asset definition directory: This basically mimics exchanges like btct which list certain assets after verification. We'll have something like 'Color Rating Agencies' which will select assets of their choice and put their signature on it. Then you just point your client to CRA's directory URL and can select assets from there.

What we have now is basically like that, except that you have one pre-defined directory, and there is no selection.

I think later we can think of more mechanisms, but now there is no needed for it.

Najska

Activity: 152
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 02:09:52 AM

Is it possible to configure it to run it on the real blockchain?

Thanks

Allfchain

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 07:42:36 AM

1. How would you rate ease of use, 1 to 10 (10 is best)?
  6. I find the interface quite easy to use , well when it works  fine in the future

2. Which features did you try? Did they work?

I tried most of the features at "Overview" ,I could not get any further since balance was not updated
Well , as I couldn't get the web to recognize my balance I just tried to cause some errors (introducing ',?,*  characters) at Issue coins ,Send coins etc..

3. Did you encounter any problems?

"Overview":
Request coins button : I got this message "Sorry,faucet failure[object ......"
Reload / sync : It shows for a couple of seconds a bitcoinjs-gui information page
Balance : It does not get updated ,just shows "Connecting " message
New.. addres : New addres is shown but old one is displayed again after trying to reload

"Settings"->"Color settings"
When you add a remote server like a foo one "33./22..." , web tries to reload it every time you try to update Balance ,I think this is ok but  I can't get to delete it later ,is there anyway to delete it?

4. What things would you change and how?

Just one point : where is private key stored? is there anyway to backup it in local?

5. Any comments you want to include which do not fit in categories above.

Well ,I'd like to try it further ,specially the trade area with some other tester
6. Your Bitcoin address.

18ZXoVAYmKhyVdxdRQWBHeDBQgw1EnxxPr

Anyway I'll try to test it more once updating balance is working
nice job!!

killerstorm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 08:29:46 AM

18ZXoVAYmKhyVdxdRQWBHeDBQgw1EnxxPr

Anyway I'll try to test it more once updating balance is working
nice job!!

Sorry, this demo was posted in July 2013 and it is no longer relevant. However, I've sent 0.01 BTC to your address for your efforts (BTC was worth around $100 in July 2013, so bounty was around $5 back then.)

Our new project is this: http://chromawallet.com/

We also plan to implement mobile and web wallet some time later.

killerstorm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 08:31:29 AM

Is it possible to configure it to run it on the real blockchain?

Thanks

No, it's dead, we killed WebcoinX.

The new colored coin client is ChromaWallet: http://chromawallet.com/
 Only desktop version is available now, but we plan to implement web and mobile versions a bit later.

If you absolutely want a web colored coins wallet, try CoinPrism. It is incompatible with ChromaWallet (for now) and it lacks p2ptrade, though.

Najska

Activity: 152
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 02:28:29 PM

Thank you for information, killerstorm, I am a big fan and a follower of your other projects already. I am using Coinprism but don't like the Open Assets Protocol.

Do you know when Mac OS X version of ChromaWallet will be released? And also, I think we need to wait for a stable release to run a business on ChromaWallet, don't we?

paythrough_team

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 02:38:23 PM

When browsing the web client  , some bug.
davien

Activity: 462

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 05:35:20 PM

same bug

Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 06:10:37 PM

I am using Coinprism but don't like the Open Assets Protocol.

What in your opinion are the weaknesses of the Open-Assets protocol? Can you describe your ideal solution for tracking color?

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: